• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Latest Disembark time?

jbnhh

Hi Everyone,

This is my first cruise ever. Can someone tell me what would be the latest disembarkation time on Princess? We're pulling into Whittier on August 10 on the Island Princess and would like to fly home that day, so we'd like to know what time we should book our flight back home to LA. Also, for a group of 16, what's the cheapest way to transfer to the Anchorage airport? We're considering the tour of the Conservatory and the Portage Glacier, but if it's too expensive, we might just skip the tours.

Thanks

Our cruise in June on the Spirit also ends in Whittier. We have done a whole lot of research on the very questions you have asked. The ship will offer a transfer to the airport, it takes about an hour and a half, Carnivals is $59. There are also several independent companies that do transfers, some with touring along the way include, and can run 80-100 per person. You can rent a car in Whittier, but there is a $125 drop off fee. Avis is the only company available in Whittier. We almost did this, because you figure you are going to pay somebody something to get to Anchorage, so then the drop off fee doesn't look too bad. Our biggest dilemma was our flights did not leave until around midnight. They refer to them as "red eye's". We will have about 15 hours to fill between the time we disembark, and actually fly out of ANC. Do your research. Use the search option on the forums, google the questions you have to. If you don't have your flights yet, that is going to be a deciding factor on a lot of it. Good luck...

You can book a noon flight out of Anchorage. In my opinion, the tours in Alaska are a significant part of the visit, getting only half a trip without time. The portage glacier cruise can be skipped, but is definately on the cheap side for Alaska.

Listings for transfers, http://www.anchorage.net

Thank you both for the replies. We've got a quote for 50 a person with Girdwood Shuttles if we did both the Portage glacier and the AWCC. For 35 a person they skip the AWCC. I saw some people had misgivings about Alaska Transportation Group, but they do offer the lowest prices. I'm not sure what to think of them.

We've ruled out the car rental since we have 16 people, and also we ruled out the Princess transfer, as it's expensive. Thanks again!

Probably a dumb question because you mention Princess is too expensive but are airport transfers not included with the trip?

Wife and I are also going on our first cruise, a Princess Cruisetour, this May and according to what little paperwork I have received to date it looks like transfers from the airport to the hotel in Anchorage (first portion of cruise is land) and then from ship in Vancouver to airport are included in our trip.

Unless I'm reading more into it than what it is really is, I was under the impression that airport transfers were included and provided by Princess for our cruise. Am I wrong?

Probably a dumb question because you mention Princess is too expensive but are airport transfers not included with the trip?

Wife and I are also going on our first cruise, a Princess Cruisetour, this May and according to what little paperwork I have received to date it looks like transfers from the airport to the hotel in Anchorage (first portion of cruise is land) and then from ship in Vancouver to airport are included in our trip.

Unless I'm reading more into it than what it is really is, I was under the impression that airport transfers were included and provided by Princess for our cruise. Am I wrong?

If it's "included" the transfers will show on your paperwork. I know there's somewhere in the Cruise Personalizer it also shows but I'm not finding it right now. I think our transfers from ANC to the hotel and ship to YVR around something like $38 pp each leg. If one is traveling with a larger group, it is often cheaper to arrange non-CL transfers + be able to see more of the area you're in. I know it's not automatically included because if one books through Expedia, Travelocity, etc. there is a section to select transfers and the price pp is listed.

If you are on the cruise only (no land touring afterward), transfers are not included in the price and must be purchased separately. As stated above, you can purchase directly through Princess or make your own arrangements either by a different shuttle, train, or car rental. For a cruise tour (i.e. you have a few days on land after the cruise ends), you may have transfers included in your package price. Check on your paperwork or with your travel agent to confirm.

Great info, we are ending our cruise on the Diamond/Princess in ANC at

12:30AM on Saturday (middle of the night, we have never docked at that time :confused: before) from reading several posts I know it takes a good 1.5 hours to get to the airport. What time should we book our flights? Can anyone recommend a good service, we are four people? Thanks!

Great info, we are ending our cruise on the Diamond/Princess in ANC at

12:30AM on Saturday (middle of the night, we have never docked at that time :confused: before) from reading several posts I know it takes a good 1.5 hours to get to the airport. What time should we book our flights? Can anyone recommend a good service, we are four people? Thanks!

Look for flights around noon. The ship does not start disembarkment until 6am.

Archived