HELP! Venice for a wheelchair user? Possible?

SharaPowers

Hello,

Is Venice possible for a fulltime wheelchair user? I am in a manual wheelchair and have pretty good upper body strength but I am not able to walk at all. Does anyone think I can be lifted into the boat and put the chair in a corner (folded)? I would love to go to ST MARKS SQUARE.

Any ideas? or suggestions?

Thanks!

Yes, I think you can do Venice although it would be easier if you have a hotel room on the mainland. There are many bridges over various canals and even hotels that have elevators may have steps at the entry. The vaparetto or water bus is accessible and you can roll right on. The ride down the Grand canal was wonderful. You can get off at the various stops including St. Mark's square. My favorite place to visit was the Doge's Palace. You can't go on the secret itinerary there but it is still fabulous. I loved the Map room! There is no charge for the disabled and you are led to an elevator behind the cafeteria. You are taken to the top floor and then tour in the opposite direction of the normal tour. To go down a floor you have to ask the guide to assist you with the elevator again. Also St. Mark's itself is accessible but the entry is hidden. Standing at the front of the cathedral, go around the left side of the church. There is a ramped entrance here that was partially hidden by scaffolding for an on-going renovation when we were there in 2007. I hope you have a nice visit. There is a website giving directions for accessible tours of Venice but I can't remember the address. Perhaps AccessVenice???

Archived