• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

AF Cabin on Pearl with Sofa Bed open?

CountryKim

Hi I was wondering if you could help with a question. We booked a AF mini suite cabin on the Pearl. It is for 2 adults and our 5 year old. Our 5 year old will be sleeping on the sofa bed. I have read many threads on the balcony cabins saying that if the sofa bed is open you have to climb over the bed to reach the balcony. Is this true for the AF cabins as well? I am asking because my husband and I would like to sit out on the balcony after our little guy goes to sleep at night. I don't think climbing over him to get back inside would be good:rolleyes:. I am also wondering if going in and out from the balcony will wake him. He is a light sleeper. Is there room to open the door to the balcony and such? I wish they reversed the sofa and bed position in these cabins. It would make it much easier. Does anyone have a pic of the AF with the sofa opened?

This is our first family cruise and my husband and my first cruise with NCL, we are very excited.

Thank you for your help.

Hi I was wondering if you could help with a question. We booked a AF mini suite cabin on the Pearl. It is for 2 adults and our 5 year old. Our 5 year old will be sleeping on the sofa bed. I have read many threads on the balcony cabins saying that if the sofa bed is open you have to climb over the bed to reach the balcony. Is this true for the AF cabins as well? I am asking because my husband and I would like to sit out on the balcony after our little guy goes to sleep at night. I don't think climbing over him to get back inside would be good:rolleyes:. I am also wondering if going in and out from the balcony will wake him. He is a light sleeper. Is there room to open the door to the balcony and such? I wish they reversed the sofa and bed position in these cabins. It would make it much easier. Does anyone have a pic of the AF with the sofa opened?

This is our first family cruise and my husband and my first cruise with NCL, we are very excited.

Thank you for your help.

Theres a little room to slide by at the foot , less than a foot. The sound opening the door , hard to say . Its like any other sliding door about 4 feet from where his head will be.

I do recall reading about (one) AF mini on the Pearl that is on the stern of the ship that infact is reversed with the bed near the balcony . Someone may know or you can do a search ( Pearl , deck 11 , aft , AF mini suite );)

EDIT: Here it is ::: Also, the cabin 11150 is an odd configuration for a mini-suite. It has flipped the furniture where the sofa is nearest to the cabin door and the bed is next to the balcony. It's different. Not better, just different

Thank you for the help. I just did a search on that cabin (11150), it seems, from what I can find, that cabin doesn't not have the divider curtain between the couch and the bed, which was part of the reason for booking the AF and not the reg balcony. Also that cabin is not available on our cruise. I don't think any aft AFs are available on our date. Also I have a problem with sea sickness, so I like to be mid deck. I am just hoping to use the balcony while my child sleeps on the couch. I was wondering if other people have had any success doing that. Sounds like I may have to slink along the wall to get to the balcony. But that's ok, as long as I don't have to climb over the bed.

You will have clearance, not to worry. We had the same configuration with our kids and it worked out very well.

The reverse configuration in a mini is a huge benefit to us. We had one on the Jewel and it was amazing how much larger the cabin seemed.

Thanks for the help. It sounds like we will be ok to get by the sofa. We had a balcony when we cruised with Carnival on our own many years ago. We loved it and sat out there all the time.

I keep reading about these upsells, how does this work? We booked through a big online TA over the phone. We did not do a gty on the AF we did a cabin assignment. So I am curious, can you get offered an upsell without a gty, and would NCL call us or the TA?

2 things I'd take note of:

1) Our steward put the two chairs at the desk outside on our balcony so the coffee table slid under the desk. This helps make room to walk by.

2) The sliding doors are heavy (and our stuck a bit) which made for a decent amount of slamming. I think you'll be fine, but it will require some finesse.

;)

My husband and I have been on the Pearl in mini suite last year you will be fine, there is enough room to walk around and once your child falls asleep we are sure he will not wake up. The ship is so lovely. Have a great cruise.

Monika

Thank you for your help.

Hi Kim,

We were on the Pearl March 1 in an AF. We also brought our son with, although he is a little larger than a 5 year old. We were originally in a BA, but switched to an AF because of the space issue. In looking through our pictures I found two that might be helpful. One with the bed made at night and another with it back to a sofa. We felt we had plenty of room. Several mornings I got up early and went out on the balcony to watch the sunrise without waking our son. Bring a flashlight. It is very dark with the curtain pulled.

DSCF3155.jpg.864ebae9ecf3d127475bdddb9d55572c.jpg

DSCF3203.jpg.bdf1604a14701371be5dd9fd16e27801.jpg

;) My husband and I have been on the Pearl in mini suite last year you will be fine, there is enough room to walk around and once your child falls asleep we are sure he will not wake up. The ship is so lovely. Have a great cruise. Monika

With all due respect, how does ANYONE know if thier son will not wake up? Sort of like people that say "YOU WILL LOVE THE CRUISE". We can only provide our history and our opinions. Nobody here knows for sure what will work for others.

As to the original question, there is a little clearance. You MIGHT think about having him go to sleep on the the couch, but not folded out, or go to sleep in the big bed and move him later. Just remember that the mini is only slightly larger than the regular balcony, but the heavy curtain that separates the couch from the bed may come in handy.

We have brought our children on different cruises and different ages on NCL- mini suite and balcony- in fact leaving next week on the Pearl! There is enough room to maneuver, albeit clumsily, around the bed to the balcony. We often use the balcony in the early AM and in the late evenings as a separate room. Contrary to the puzzling tenor of the post above, my kids are so exhausted from all of the activity during the day and the late evenings that it is hard to get them up in the morning to get them on early morning excursions! One of our favorite things about the cruise is to order early morning coffee and juice the night before from room service. We take it outside and enjoy our coffee in the most peaceful and beautiful environment. Even if your child wakes up, the TV is right above the sleeper sofa- there is generally a child-friendly program on- just like home, let them chill while you enjoy! (A p.s.: I always ask the room steward for a plush bed topper for the sleeper sofa, they are happy to get it for you. Much more comfortable for the little ones!)

Thank you everybody for all the responses and help.

minn -Those pictures were perfect thank you. That was just what I wanted to see.

karen -I will ask about the topper for the sofa. Thank you.

Can't wait!

Archived