• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Elliptical... How many minutes can you do?

Ladydee

I am bummed and ready to quit. After two weeks of almost every day on the nasty machine, I can just barely push myself to 30 minutes at one time (no breaks). I would just like to know where I fit in with that. Am I embarrassingly out of shape?

Well, you don't say what level you are using. Or what machine. They can be very different. (I prefer the Precor EFXs.)

It totally depends on your level of effort. Are you doing high intensity? Working up a hard sweat? If so, 30 min is perfectly adequate. I do a minimum of 30 min every day, either on the elliptical, the step mill, or running. All three are done at a level that leaves me dripping, but I've been doing this for over 5 years, so I'm pretty used to it. If I have time to do more than 30 min, I do. On the elliptical I am generally at level 8, but I go up to 12 for some peaks, and down to 6 if I need a quick break.

If you have only been doing it for 2 weeks, you've only just begun! Give yourself some time!! Gosh, don't quit - that's the WORST thing you can do.

the elliptical is a wonderful machine--I do it 4 to 5 days a week

I agree that it depends on what level and resistance you are doing. I can usually do 30-45 with no problem. Easier on the knees than running, and burns about the same amount of calories!

Keep at it. Your stamina will increase over time.

45 minutes to an hour here. Just depends on if I'm doing a hill program or not.

But I will say when I first started using the contraption I could barely go 5 minutes before my legs were jello.

With exercise my belief is you should only compare yourself to your previous efforts ... never anyone else.

45 minutes to an hour here. Just depends on if I'm doing a hill program or not.

But I will say when I first started using the contraption I could barely go 5 minutes before my legs were jello.

With exercise my belief is you should only compare yourself to your previous efforts ... never anyone else.

Yes, exactly! Jello legs...lol. Like you, I was barely able to go 5 minutes at first and today I really struggled for 30. The machine I have is "Ironman" and I think it has a dial that goes from 1 (easy) to 6. I am doing about a 2 mostly. I thought I would maybe lose a little weight, but nothing so far... :(

I have to tell you, I am really not that great on the elypitcal, but it is still pretty new to me. Although I have been working out intensely for a year now, I can still only do 30 minutes on the elyptical.....probably because it is so different from the other exercises I have been doing. I have worn a heart rate machine though and I know that I am keeping my heart rate up to where it needs to be and sometimes I even have to "take it easy" so as to not go into anaerobic exercise.......not sure if I spelled that right. But basically working too hard is no good either. So basically, no matter what level you are using, it is very important to keep your heart rate where it needs to be. For me I can't tell too much by how much I sweat....I basically don't sweat. I can even sit in a sauna forever and not sweat....so if I get a little moist I have really really worked out. Look into monitoring your heart rate and try to do 30 minutes at a time for now. Then throw in some weight training and body sculpting and you will start to feel wonderful. When I leave the gym I am so satisfied and so happy that I am going to be looking good in my bathing suit in June .... a 2 piece too......and like I said I can only do 30 minutes.....so don't stress.....do what's best for you and keep up your heart rate. Good luck.

Wow... ok, thank you all. I was really feeling like a complete loser - and not in the good way...lol. I guess I will keep at it. Other than the dial, I don't think I can do different routines, so I will just play around with that. Thank you!

The eliptical is a fine machine, but is not magical! Like any exercise machine, if you keep the same program and intensity, your body will become very efficient at exercise, but your effectiveness will diminish. The best routine is to mix in some treadmill, resistence (weights), bike, and core (floor and ball) exercises. Keep your calorie intake at moderate levels and you will lose weight, as well as build stamina. It took years to add those pounds, they will not roll off in 2-weeks!

Way to go, though! Don't give up. :) :)

DT

Archived