Box Wine

Most "bladders" in boxed wine are encased in foil---I'm pretty sure that might be spotted!

You know, they don't check every single bag...so chances are fair that you could smuggle your wine....

One box equals, what---4 bottles? Is it worth the hassle?

Yes, we've brought on boxed wine on several cruises (not RCCL) in our checked luggage, handy, if only for the peace of mind knowing it wouldn't be broken. There are some very nice Australian wines that are boxed, and there are some wines that are in some smaller boxes, including some I've seen that are 1 liter or 750 ml size. We've never had any problems, and have simply requested wine glasses from room service. I'm not familiar with RCCL's wine policy, but the others I've cruised on do allow some wine to be brought on board for consumption in your stateroom.

Believe it or not Target has has pretty decent boxed wines. They even have wine "juice boxes" for the adults. I brought two 4 packs of the "juice boxes" before with no problem. They are four small boxes that each hold about 2 glasses of wine. I know I could fill the water glasses they leave in the room 1.5 times on each box. I'll bet that in the scanner they looked just like kid's juice boxes so they came on board no problem. Hmmmm . . . that reminds me, I need to go to Target before I leave in 8 days!

Back when NCL got so hard nosed about bringing on spirits and going on a 19 day cruise, I got a box of wine, wrapped it in foil wrapping paper, put a bow on it and a card envelope on it with a name and put it in my checked luggage. The security people checked my soda very carefully to make sure the seal wasn't broken that I had in my carry-on but the packed wine made it through just fine. Now I use rumrunner flasks. I would be afraid if you just had the "bladder" without it being in the box it would break in transit.

Tucker in Texas

we just returned and brought a box wine with us on checked luggage. We had a glass or two before dinner in the room while getting ready. It was great. We still bought wine at dinner and at the shows. It was a good starter. We would not want to leave the dinner table to walk all the way back to the room for a glass because it would be gone before I got back!

We take boxed wine on our cruises on HA, Princess, Azamara, etc. But on RCI, we respect their rules and bring no wine, but simply drink more in the Concierge Lounge (we are Diamond). It's a silly policy, but, it is RCI so we expect silly policies.

Hank

I was sooo afraid of bringing anything onboard bit we did not have a problem. We used the rumrunners and they arrived nice and safe. I was also surprised upon check in. I had 3 bottles of sprite and my nalgene bottle filled w/ water and no-one checked anything. NOTHING..no questions, no-one even looked. I was surprised. Happy, but surprised. Now with that said, even though I "smuggled" I still spent $350 on my bar bill. Enough said. ;)

On one of our cruises, there was a wine tasting organized with those who wanted to participate to bring a bottle from their home area. We had a couple spending the night with us pre-cruise. They had two bottles and we had one. We poured our wine into rum runners but wanted the bottles so we could pour it back into the bottle so people would know what they were drinking and where it came from. Our travel companion who is, also, a magician, put the empty bottles in his carry-on ready to do the "quarter in the bottle trick" if they asked him why he had empty bottles. He was going to tell them they were props for the passenger talent show--which he never participates in because magic needs to be done "up close." To his disappointment they never blinked an eye.

Tucker in Texas

We take boxed wine on our cruises on HA, Princess, Azamara, etc. But on RCI, we respect their rules and bring no wine, but simply drink more in the Concierge Lounge (we are Diamond). It's a silly policy, but, it is RCI so we expect silly policies.

Hank

Thanks Hank, I keep struggling with this myself. But I appreciate your honesty. It is their policy and we should respect it. What are we in high school!?! I think if we can afford the cruise, we can afford the booze. Anyway I feel better hearing from some honest, respectful guests.

Have you done the Diamond level on the Mariner? This will be our first time as Diamond in July. However we are traveling with first timers and I'm not sure we will want to ditch them.

Archived