• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

sailing excursion in Greece? or beach day?

spa.queen

Ok I know this is a pretty open ended question since there are so many islands and I have really got to start researching but I was thinking we are going to be seeing SO many ruins it would be lovely to just go sailing one day or enjoy the beach that you see in commercials. My husband wants to go go go do it all and see it all but i thought part of the Greek Experience would be a beach or boat ride. Any thoughts?

sorry I was so vague I am clueless when it comes to Greece- Italy I know but nada about the Greek Islands- I am starting to research and ordered a book but I just want to do something other than ruins (in Turkey we are doing ruins again)

we are going to corfu, katakolon, Santorini, and Piraeus- the one thing I am certain on is going to the Acropolis(sp) so the day in Athens is out but the others are open.

I believe in Santorini there are saling excursions available in the caldera. Would be very scenic. There are no open ruins in Santorini--principal sights are the towns of Fira and Oia--the latter in particular is beautiful with fantastic views. Santorini beaches tend to be small and rocky. Katakalon is a very small port with a small fishing fleet. It is principally used as the nearest port to vist Olympia. There is a beach but it isn't much. Corfu is a large island with a mix of terrain. Have not been outside the main town myself. Suggest you consult Fodor's European ports of call for introductory information.

Actually, there are some great ruins in Santorini and they are called Akritori. But, they closed those ruins a few years ago because the covering building was not safe. I am not aware whether it has been reopened, but we will be there again next month and I will post the latest info. Santorini does have a few decent beaches, but they are at least 15 min from the main town of Fira. We often rent a car on this small island so we can go to a beach and perhaps visit the winery. The beaches are not big and sandy, but places like Red Beach are quite special.

From Katokolon most take a tour (or you can take the train, rent a car, hire a taxi) to the ruins of Olympia (this is where they started the Olympics). Personally we do not think much of these ruins (not much there) but they also have a small museum at the ruins and this is quite interesting.

Corfu - This is one of the top yachting havens in Europe and is about the only island in the Ionian chain that handles cruise ships. We once did a week yacht cruise from here and the smaller islands in the chain are wonderful (Skorpios is in this chain). Corfu Town (where the ships dock) is a nice city, walkable, and it has some nice shops and great cafes/restaurants. This island is a good place to rent a car, since its easy driving and you can explore a lot of the island and perhaps stop at a beach.

Hope this helps

Hank

Hank, do you know anything about Kamari Tours -

http://www.kamaritours.gr/excursionsdetails.asp?actionpage=C&intpage=1

I thought this looked liked a pretty well rounded tour of Santorini.

Spa Queen, those are the same ports we'll be at on the Noordam [May 9th sailing]. Good Luck with your researching. I know it's a time consuming job.

Carole

For those planning on watching the sunset at Oia – you won’t make it back to the ship if you’re on the Noordam and it's May 14th. I did a sunrise/sunset calendar online for Santorini with the following results:

Twi: 5:45am

Sunrise: 6:13am

Sunset: 8:16pm

Twi: 8:45pm

Moonrise: 12:18am

Moonset: 10:08am

You can do your own calendar for anywhere in the world.

The URL is http://www.sunrisesunset.com/custom_srss_calendar2.asp

You’ll need the Longitude [25.27 E for Santorini] and Latitude [36.23 N for Santorini] and the time zone [+2 for Santorini]

Carole

Ok I know this is a pretty open ended question since there are so many islands and I have really got to start researching but I was thinking we are going to be seeing SO many ruins it would be lovely to just go sailing one day or enjoy the beach that you see in commercials. My husband wants to go go go do it all and see it all but i thought part of the Greek Experience would be a beach or boat ride. Any thoughts?

Some of the islands have such cool ruins - like Delos by Mykonos. I wouldn't miss that. If you like shopping or the metropolitan flavor, Crete was very modern. In Corfu we took a taxi tour of the island. The hills, olive trees, views from the heights - we left there determined to return for 6 months and rent a villa. Minnesota is the land of 10,000 lakes - so we have a lot of beaches - no big temptation there for us. But there are a lot of other things to see in Greece than beaches and ruins. On the other hand - the water in Mykonos was crystal clear and very tempting.

:D

Santorini looks amazing! Anyone can reccomend a great beach there?

Thank you

M.J.

Beaches on Santorini are a bit different than the large sandy beaches you see in the US and Caribbean. But, our favorite beach on the island is called Red Beach. However, you would need to rent a car to go to that beach. There is parking, but than you need to hike a little ways to get to place. I am sure you can get a lot more info if you Google the place.

Hank

sorry I was so vague I am clueless when it comes to Greece- Italy I know but nada about the Greek Islands- I am starting to research and ordered a book but I just want to do something other than ruins (in Turkey we are doing ruins again)

we are going to corfu, katakolon, Santorini, and Piraeus- the one thing I am certain on is going to the Acropolis(sp) so the day in Athens is out but the others are open.

hi Spa Queen-- I think you should check out a Frommers and Fodors guides--go to the library--or else you can check CC threads that are up on all of these different cruise ports....corfu and santotini both have beaches and opportunities to sail--santorini has lots of different beaches, some of it depends on what YOU are looking for-- a secluded beach, a beach friendly to little kids, a beach with food, a beach with water sports, etc.

I am on the Noordam on July 8th to these ports--when and what ship are you on?

Beaches on Santorini are a bit different than the large sandy beaches you see in the US and Caribbean. But, our favorite beach on the island is called Red Beach. However, you would need to rent a car to go to that beach. There is parking, but than you need to hike a little ways to get to place. I am sure you can get a lot more info if you Google the place.

Hank

Thank you very much Hank we will follow your advice , no problem for the hike ;) I will look into Google more too before we go.

Thank you!

• 4 weeks later...
Santorini looks amazing! Anyone can reccomend a great beach there?

Thank you

M.J.

Be sure to walk around Fira and then take a bus to Oia, just down the road. It is fabulous and cost approx. 1 1/2 Euro ea. way. We spent the day wandering in both towns and will be going back in Sept. and will rent a car and see all of the Island. It is a fabulous Island and so is Mykonos.

Archived