• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Earliest flight return from Fort Lauderdale

ludie

Port Everglades calendar shows a possible 15,000+ passengers disembarking at Pt. Everglades that morning.

11-Apr-2009, 15672, Navigator Of The Seas, Carnival Freedom, Eurodam, Ruby Princess, MSC Orchestra.

You are cutting it very close. You have to check your bags at least 30 minutes before your flight.

It is possible, but scary. When is the next flight?

Rick and Deirdra

I would not do it. We were on the Navigator out of FLL about a year and a half ago. We decided to do the express debarkation where you carry your own luggage off the ship. We were some of the first off and it was after 10:00 before we made it off the ship and through customs/immigration.

I have cruised out of this port three times and each time it was worse than the time before. Part of the issue was outdated port facilities and the other half was the cruise line not being organized at all.

10:15am flight is possible if you do the walk off program but it is very risky. Ships can get delayed for many reasons. I would pick something after 12noon.

I was at FLL this past Thursday (I don't think any ships were in) and security took about 20 minutes to get through for a 1:30pm flight. They had all security lines open too. I can't imagine how long it would take for 15,000 people to pass through. Or even 1000 more for that matter.

The last cruise I took we rented a car and drove to Palm Beach Airport, there was no security line. We were at the gate in less than 10 minutes after entering the airport.

When we departed from FLL, we stood in a line that was 45 minutes long just to check luggage in at the airport (by the time we checked luggage it was twice as long as when we started, easily over an hour to check bags), then the security line was 20 minutes long, we arrived Miami before 07:00, we were off the ship at 08:30 (much smaller than Navigator) and at the airport by 09:15, and there's no way that we could have made a 10:15 flight. I wouldn't suggest a flight before noon.

Thanks everyone; I was trying to save some money on a family of seven for the earlier flights. I guess I'll have to play it safe and not book a flight before 11:30. Wish I would have booked the flights months ago but I gambled and now I don't have the choices and the prices didn't go down as I had hoped. I have to decide in the next day or two so I'll hope for the best!

We took advantage of the Express Luggage program a couple weeks ago on the Independence, and COULD of made a 11:30 flight on airtran. (we were nervous that that flight was too close for comfort so we took a 4:30 flight.) Anyone on the flight that carried their luggage off the ship were in a 45 minute line. YIKES!

I guess I am both brave and lucky...

On the 28th of February, we had a 10:21 a.m. flight leaving FLL on AirTran. We were on the Liberty, which docks at the Port of Miami. We rented a car to meet us at the port and used white tags because I had heard the express walk off was slow. We were off of the ship by 7:15 am, had our luggage by 7:35 and were through customs and outside by 7:45. Our car picked us up about 10 minutes later. We arrived at FLL @ 8:45 and had time to eat breakfast at Chili's before going through security. We waited at the gate for about 25 minutes and our flight left on time! :D

So, it can be done....I did this out of Port Everglades (Navigator) in late January (24th?) of this year...same flight time. BUT...perhaps I am just brave or lucky.

Thanks everyone; I was trying to save some money on a family of seven for the earlier flights. I guess I'll have to play it safe and not book a flight before 11:30. Wish I would have booked the flights months ago but I gambled and now I don't have the choices and the prices didn't go down as I had hoped. I have to decide in the next day or two so I'll hope for the best!

I don't know where you live, thus which airport you use, but Southwest has some great bargain fares right now. And they fly to Fort Lauderdale. :)

Good Morning:

We got off the Independence last month and had an 11:59am flight and made it in plenty of time.

They are definitely disorganized and it felt like we were in line forever but we made it to the airport with about an hour 1/2 wait before boarding.

10:15 might be cutting it a little too close.

I do hope they improve this port before Oasis arrives!!

Enjoy your cruise.

Archived