Ladies ~ going on a cruise ~ do you pack for DH?

My DH & I have a standing policy on cruises. He dresses himself during the day, and I dress him at night; therefore he packs all his clothes ( Die Trying T- shirts from Cabo & shorts) for the daytime and all personal items. I pack the Tux and all dinner clothes. It works for us. I, like one of the above posters stated, often leave him at home and go with girlfriends. Either way works for me, I love to cruise.

kaboochi, I do a simpler form of organizing but organizing just the same, I have a Travel Folder for any of our trips, land or sea, and all information goes into that. The passports go in the final month, and this is so everything is in one location and I am not running about gathering this and that. The cruise documents go in when they arrive. I even check it from time to time to make sure I didn't leave anything out.

I do exactly the same thing. I have one folder with printed copies of all of our reservation confirmations; hotel, rental car, cruise documents. On the day we leave for the airport, I don't carry a purse, I have a back pack with the folder, our passports, etc. It works great. I always love when I start a new travel folder. :)

We had a few trips early in our marriage where hubby forgot to bring a few items on vacation. Nothing like getting somewhere and realizing that hubby forgot to pack socks/dress shoes/belt/whatever. Now, I make lists for each of us so he knows how many items he needs to pack. I have veto rights so I can make sure that he packs enough mix/match items. I'm in charge of putting everything in the suitcases so I know we each have enough in the suitcases so if one goes missing, we can live out of the other for a few days.

The last time my DH packed a suitcase for himself was on our honeymoon - 39 years ago! :eek:

Hmmm.... on second thought, maybe his mom packed it for him! :rolleyes:

In his defense, however, he does do his own laundry as well as our grandson's laundry and will toss items onto my "packing piles" (he just doesn't fold anything or check for stains :(). He also does all the store errands and bank runs, takes our pets to their sitters, handled getting passports for himself and GS last year (I already had mine from a trip to Ireland), makes calls to stop the mail and newspaper delivery, double checks that I have packed certain things, etc., etc. :)

Give and take. 39 years it's worked for us. If it's not broke, don't fix it. :D

~ Judy

DH packs for himself, as stated in many posts above, I am NOT his mommy and we do not have a co dependant relationship. I wouldn't really want him packing for me either.

We pack the night prior, takes less than an hour. There is alot , of "can you put this in your shoe it won't fit in my suitcase" going back and forth between us.

-maryann

My hubby sounds like your's!! He wouldnt not know what to do or where to find anything! Give you an example: after our rehersal dinner I had my bridesmaids over my apt for a girls sleepover before my wedding, thinking it would be a nice time,... ha!... He wasnt even packed I spent the whole night packing his junk! NIGHT BEFORE OUR WEDDING!!!!!:mad:

So to this day I pack his stuff way ahead of time so the day before or a few hours before our trip I can relax knowing I dont have to run around looking for his stuff!:p

Ok, so why did you pack his things instead of having him do it? What would've happened if you dropped the task back on his lap?

i have no problem packing for him. i actually like packing because it reminds me i am going on a cruise! he hates to pack, i love him. if i can do this little thing for him why wounldn't i?

the difference is that i don't do it for him to mother him. he is able to pack his own, i don't treat him like a child, as if he would forget something or can't handle the "responcibility" of packing for himself. i do it because i love him and he really appreciates not having to do it.

just defending the ladies who pack for their husbands. this is not about "woman power", it's about loving your husband in little ways. if he enjoyed packing i would not do it for him:)

I packed my husband's suitcase for 32 years...not sure why exactly...he was certainly capable of doing it...but I didn't mind....it made it easy to surprise him with cruises a couple times.. all he knew was we were going on a weekend trip but not where...

I love your avitar!!!!!!

I do have a question for the ladies that say their hubbies can not find anything, that is why they do the packing. Well how does he get dressed for work, or if you are going to a black tie affair, do you get his stuff out and ready for him? I am not trying to be a smart aleck here or stir the pot, I am really just curious. You know there are ladies that do "everythng" for their hubbies. If it works for you that is all that counts.

Annieeee

My DH goes to work in work clothes so there isn't any selection, except which pair of jeans to wear.

If we're going somewhere that he needs dressy clothes, yes, I do put them out for him. It's not that he can't do it, it's just the way it's always been. There are so many things he does for me that this is just a little thing I do for him. :)

Mimi -hi, how are you? How are the swans?

I usually end up packing for Ken as I am much more organized than he is .... either that or I have control issues! :D Jan

Hi Jan!! good to hear from you.

My "girls" are doing fine except Lilly is getting really mean. She loves picking on Walt!!

When's the next cruise?

i have no problem packing for him. i actually like packing because it reminds me i am going on a cruise! he hates to pack, i love him. if i can do this little thing for him why wounldn't i?

the difference is that i don't do it for him to mother him. he is able to pack his own, i don't treat him like a child, as if he would forget something or can't handle the "responcibility" of packing for himself. i do it because i love him and he really appreciates not having to do it.

just defending the ladies who pack for their husbands. this is not about "woman power", it's about loving your husband in little ways. if he enjoyed packing i would not do it for him:)

Thanks for your post! That's exactly how I feel. It isn't because I'm mothering him. We've been married for 26 years and he's always packed for his own business trips, but vacation packing has always been my thing. I really enjoy it.

Like I said earlier, from day 1 of our marriage to now, 27 years later, my husband has always packed for himself. It's too hectic getting out of the house as it is before a cruise to do spread sheets etc. Moonlnite, it's time to let go of the control. It's a 7 day cruise, not a trip around the world:D

If I left my husband to pack himself, we'd end up spending a fortune on things he forgot to bring. I'd MUCH rather do the packing! I'm the organized one - so I do the tasks that require organizational skills - including paying bills. When you're organized - you don't have that "last minute hectic rush" - things go more smoothly. I'm the better cook - so I cook. He cleans up after I cook. He handles things like yard maintenance, taking garbage out, and such. Every couple manages the "work load" their own way - playing to each other's strengths. Why is it people on this board feel they can criticize how other people do things? To each their own! What works for one couple may not work for another.

I do the packing for my husband. He's so busy with everything else, I've got to do it or it won't get done. :D I am the organized (OCD) one of the family. I do hand out packing lists, but I double check, them 2x before the cruise. Packing at our house starts 3 months before. :D

Hi Jan!! good to hear from you.

My "girls" are doing fine except Lilly is getting really mean. She loves picking on Walt!!

When's the next cruise?

Next cruise is in August our of San Juan .... first time on a Southern. Then I believe May, 2010 will be with all the kids and their SO's

I love reading this thread .... we are all such interesting people. I am 57 so am from the generation of "do it yourself" (but I love packing and Ken hates it ... so it works for us to have me pack) ........ I will never be the domesticated goddess ... DH stayed home for awhile after the kids were born, I went back to work .... he cooks, cleans, makes better bread than I do ..... Its always been a partnership ............ packing his clothes has nothing to do with gender. :D

Glad the swans are doing well .... sorry that she picks on Walt! Jan

I do have a question for the ladies that say their hubbies can not find anything, that is why they do the packing. Well how does he get dressed for work, or if you are going to a black tie affair, do you get his stuff out and ready for him? I am not trying to be a smart aleck here or stir the pot, I am really just curious. You know there are ladies that do "everythng" for their hubbies. If it works for you that is all that counts.

Annieeee

He works at home all day so its not a big deal, he can wear whatever he wants. He can do gym clothes and stuff normal daily wear mostly but for formal or going out stuff, no, thats my job. I tell him what he looks good in, he wears it.

If I let him pack we'd be bringing everything he owned, so to make sure we're not paying a ton in extra fees, I pack. That includes when he goes away on business too.

Personally I would love it if he knew how to do so within reason. I've tried making out a list...nope. I've tried setting things out for him...nope. (he just adds more!)

He's very good in other areas and is very independent, but packing reasonably isn't something he knows how to do.

I guess you can say I do it more for my sanity than anything else.

-Q

Our last Cruise, this Oct, a RT Hawaii, I thought I had organized all my clothes, items, like socks in a large hefty storage bag, & squeeze all the air out, great for packing, well I goofed and forgot to put the bag with my undies in the suitcase, while unpacking day of disembarking. I had only 4 pair to hold me for 15 days. LOL. Needless to say, when in arriving in Hilo, 5 days later, there was a mad rush to Wallmart. I wasn't the only one rushing to their store that morning.:D

I pack my OWN stuff, period!! I have friends that have their wives back for them, then, if something is forgotten, they blame them!! I pack my own 'stuff', I know what I need, what to pack, etc., if I forget something, it's no one elses fault except my own!!!!!!!!

as i said before, i don't mind packing for my husband. he would never blame/get mad at me for forgetting something of his so no problem there.

I agree, I don't pack to "mother him", I pack b/c it just works for us that way. Kinda like I handle the money for us b/c he doesn't want to and I am an accountant.

Funny story - we were on the Liberty pre-inaugural, and I forgot to pack pants for DH, he had to go to dinner in shorts. (no pants to buy on the ship). But he took it all in stride and we did not worry about it. He would never get mad at me if I forgot something, but that is why have now always have my LIST! That way I don't forget anything.

To me no different than he takes care of my car - I don't want to worry about oil changes, etc. So he takes care of it for me. Not to mother me, but to take care of me.

DH picks out what he wants to take on vacation but I supervise....;) I have taught him to have excellent taste in clothes over the years...;) I have a master packing list that we work off of, and I just check off everything as it finds its way into the spare room, which essentially becomes "vacation central" about a month prior to our leaving. Hummmm, I guess that means we should start next week!:D

Karen

Yes I pack for DH I take 3 pairs of shorts, 4 shirts, 2 dress shirts, undies and socks in sneakers and closed shoes, I roll everything for him. If you roll your clothes you can fit so much more stuff.. and still have room for other things.

Flatten the shorts, slacks, and tee shirts and put them all together and then roll them, you get so much more use of the suitcase and we have 1 small piece luggage between the both of us.

If you take solid shorts and slacks and then take a colorful tops you can switch on and off with them.

My recommendation to take a jacket or a sweatshirt the ships inside get quite cold... and comfy shoes.. this will be the first biggest ship we have are on... the last one was mariner last year and boy did i think that was big. this one Freedom I heard its 3 times bigger.

Red:DIm back on Meet and Mingle... we are here...

Red

I have been on

RC Mariner of the Seas.....2008 loved this ship....

RC Freedom coming up May 31... our 21st anniv

RC Oasis...... Future May 8

Carnival Glory 2005

Carnival Inspiration 2007

Carnival Sensation 2004

Norwegian Line..... Not around anymore..old ship

Costa lines... never again.

Red Hot I will take your advise and try that method of packing. I had done it with small things but never my slacks & shorts. We have packed for 15 + days Cruises, figuring in formal wear vs everyday wear, it will fun to see how we I will do on our 7 day all Calif Cruise April 2011. DH will do well so not concerend.

Archived