Ladies ~ going on a cruise ~ do you pack for DH?

I always pack for DH. I do it because I am home more than him and WAY more organized than he is. I'm not sure he would remember clothes if he had to pack for himself! Again, as other posters have stated, I do it not to mother him, but because that's the way it has always worked for us. He is perfectly fine with me doing all the work. He does carry the suitcase, however--LOL

Hi Tammi, Welcome to the board.

It is a nice shorthand for family members. That way we don't have to do spouse or childrens names or try and figure out family nicknames.

DH - Dear Husband

DW - Dear Wife

DS - Dear Son

etc

etc.

Of course, when you get to your Uncles second wife's mother in law's niece - all bets are off.

Happy cruisin' :D

We both create our own cruise "piles" individually, prior to packing, then together we consolidate the piles on packing day. Instead of having my suitcase and "his" suitcase, we try to have some of each of our wardrobes in each suitcase. That way if something happens to one of the suitcases enroute, at least we will both have SOME clothing left in the remaining suitcase. :D

I'm not one of the chicks, but I do lurk Bonnie occasionally. Boy am I relieved to read your answer here!:D Sadly, it doesn't give me anything to dog you about, Bonnie. Your answer would just about ditto for us. We've cross-packed our suitcases ever since one of them got lost before a cruise in 2005. They delivered finally, but it was too close for us. We each use the Eagle Creek "pack its", which makes it easy for us to just pick up a pack and put the stuff in the suitcase.

I may have some control issues because I make him give me everything and then I pack the suitcases...only so I know where everything is and that he has enough clothes...of course last time he had way more than me...

I pack all mine in 1 and 2 gallon zip locks so I can just put the bags on the shelves in the closet...of course that was info I learned here on CC...

Also we do pack half of each in each suitcase...in case one gets lost we both still have clothes...also learned here

I've never packed for my husband and never plan to. He's an adult, knows what he wants to pack and does just fine. We've traveled enough that packing isn't that hard anymore; we normally pack the night before we leave--sometimes the day of, if we're leaving late in the day.

Now, my mom and my MIL both always packed for their husbands; maybe it's a generational thing? (We're in our sixties) I don't think our dads would have had a clue what to pack.

I think it depends on the individual and not one way is better than the next.

My husband is a responsible adult and does a lot around the house, runs errands plus works long hours towards the keeping up of the house and vacations and all.

I also work, 2 jobs, do a lot around the house so we consider ourselves to be equal. He doesn't even mention the word "help" around the house, it is just work that needs to be done and whoever can do it...does.

I'm able to take off more time than he and right before a vacation his work schedule is longer to accomodate his clients. I'm better at organizing the packing and I'm there. If the tables were turned, he would do the packing. We aren't keeping score in our marriage.

I think it depends on the individual and not one way is better than the next.

My husband is a responsible adult and does a lot around the house, runs errands plus works long hours towards the keeping up of the house and vacations and all.

I also work, 2 jobs, do a lot around the house so we consider ourselves to be equal. He doesn't even mention the word "help" around the house, it is just work that needs to be done and whoever can do it...does.

I'm able to take off more time than he and right before a vacation his work schedule is longer to accomodate his clients. I'm better at organizing the packing and I'm there. If the tables were turned, he would do the packing. We aren't keeping score in our marriage.

My DH packs his own. He knows what he needs & wants & manages quite well.

No way.

I wouldn't know where to begin packing for my DH. He is worse than a woman when it comes to clothes. He wants everything and anything with him.

He is complaining now for me to hurry up and figure out my dresses for dinner, so he can get his outfits picked and make sure they fit, get them pressed, cleaned etc...

When it comes time to pack, DH picks out his clothes and brings them to me in the spare bedroom where I've got all of my clothes ready. I then cross-pack our clothes in 2 suitcases; in case one of them goes astray, we'll both have clothes to wear. We also pack emergency clothes in our carry-ons as well. Why do I pack the suitcases? Because I'm better at it than DH is. :D

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

It always seems to be the wife's issue anyway, in terms of packing. Kind of a control thing. Why should she care if he brings the wrong stuff or isn't neat? When she married him she married him with all his habits so why try to control him? Let him be a big boy, I say!:rolleyes:

No...Never never pack for a husband...

Then when he forgets something for formal night, he cant say, hey where is that, did you pack it??? Now I say dont know, have no idea, did you pack it???

But seriously, we do talk about what we are packing before a cruise... I will tell him what color gowns I am wearing so he can decide if he wants to pack a complementy tie, cuffings or whatever.... Will tell him depending on the cruise how formal or informal it is so he can make his own decisions. But as far as packing, that is his deal not mine.

I do. I don't think DH would have a clue what to take or even where to find it!!

I hear our friends talk about one of them is done packing but the other didn't start.

Just curious, ladies do you pack for your DH?;)

I supervise... I stand there and tell him what to pack :) Seems to work well.

Not liekly. I'm always around while he packs because he asks constantly, "Now, what goes with this?" I don't mind advising, but I don't pack for him.

This is pretty much what it's like in our house. Last year I did a B2B with DH joining me the second week. He did just fine without having me there to ask what goes with what, just shows he can really do it on his own.;)

........... If the tables were turned, he would do the packing. We aren't keeping score in our marriage.

We don't keep score either but I shudder to think what I would be wearing if DH did my packing.:eek:

We don't keep score either but I shudder to think what I would be wearing if DH did my packing.:eek:

I don't choose what my husband will be taking to wear on vacation...I just do the physical packing. If he were to pack for me he would never know what is needed.

When he puts the laundry away I have to hunt for my clothes and unmentionables ;)

Archived