• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Pastry and Bakery items brought onto ship

I have looked deligently for a thread I read recently about a lady that was trying to bring a pastry or baklava back on board the ship to her husband. While she was going through the x-ray machine she was told that she could not bring her pastry on board ship.

My parents anniversary is on our itinerary day of "Corfu". They have a bakery advertised online and I wanted to get them a special cake made. Now I am worried that I will not be able to bring it on board. Yes, I realize that I can get HAL to make us a cake but I really wanted something unique from this Greek Bakery in Corfu.

Any one have any ideas??

I can understand not bringing fruit onboard ship, but a pastry.....does that sound right to you.

thanks

Karen

Perhaps. When returning from Jamaica one time (not a cruise) they stopped me and asked where the milk in my sons bottle came from...... made me pour it out.

Most follow the rule : unless its prepackaged it doesnt go off the ship OR on the ship......

We didn't run into a problem with either Celebrity or Princess in Europe. From Santorini we brought on Feta and Olives and in Villefranche, friends brought on so many pastries it was an amazing sight to behold :) They met up with a friend who runs a pastry shop in Nice.

This is a contact the cruise line question. If they say no problem, get it in writing and have it with you when getting back on the ship. Also double check again with the staff as you disembark that day. We hope your folks enjoy their anniversary no matter what happens!

Most follow the rule : unless its prepackaged it doesnt go off the ship OR on the ship......

Have you ever seen the amount of crew that bring back food from different ports? Every second crew member we saw had bags of food coming on the ship in Europe.

Several of the ports on our Nov. TA have markets which sell flowers (I realize this isn't baked goods, but thought some might know.) Are passengers allowed to bring flowers back onboard?

If anyone knows, I would appreciate an answer :)

Cruzin Lady

Several of the ports on our Nov. TA have markets which sell flowers (I realize this isn't baked goods, but thought some might know.) Are passengers allowed to bring flowers back onboard?

If anyone knows, I would appreciate an answer :)

Cruzin Lady

I have brought flowers, wine, cheese, bread and chocolate for balcony buffets many times and have never been questioned. All items were openly carried. Did this in many ports. It really is hard to NOT buy some of the wonderful pastries and chocolates abroad.

I brought a small box of baklava on board at several stops on our last Med cruise (it never crossed my mind that I shouldn't - nothing in the daily newsletter - not that I saw, anyway.) Nobody said anything about it.

Lisa

Thanks for your replies.

I will call HAL just to be sure before I go and order a large cake that I am stuck having to eat by myself on the gangway.

I would not have even given it a second thought if it were not for the thread I read about the person not being allowed to bring her pastry on board.

We will be at Dubrovnik the day before and then we sail directly to Corfu.

Thanks again everyone....

Karen

To avoid problems when re-entering to EU-ports it might be due to these rules

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2004:021:0011:0023:EN:PDF

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2004:122:0001:0009:EN:PDF

that it was restricted on board.

Maybe the pastry is harmless... but are there eggs or or dairy products like milk or butter inside??? Animal products...

Regards,

HeinBloed

Thank you for the information about the flowers. I'm going to try it in Barcelona, but if that doesn't work, I'll try the next port.

Now if I could only find some people to join our TA day tours in Nov, I'd be very happy. In the past, I haven't had a problem, but this time I am not getting any response--of course, it's a long time yet.

Well, I crashed into your baked good items, thank you for answering a kind of related question. :)

Happy Cruzin' to all,

Cruzin Lady

We walked on with a HUGE bouquet from the flower market in Papeete, Tahiti--the most beautiful thing I have ever see for $15--would have been $100 at home.

There are lots of flower sellers along Las Ramblas in Barcelona, if you've never been there--I was so tempted to buy some, but just couldn't manage flowers and all the luggage too.

Good luck--come back and let us know how it works out. FWIW, we brought baguettes and cheese and all kinds of goodies on board in the Med with no problem.

Cathy

Don't buy the pastries just yet.....

HAL told me today that because of the eggs and diary products that I COULD NOT bring a cake back on board from Corfu.

I guess if you managed before to bring a piece of some goodies back on you were doing good not to get it taken.

Flowers she said would be fine to bring on board.

Heinbloed ---YOU WERE RIGHT!!!

Now I know and will order a HAL cake for them...

thought you all would like to know.

Karen

I brought a box of baklava onboard in Athens. I made no attempt to hide it - put it on the belt and it went right through the xray - no problem at all.

By the way, they were absolutely wonderful.

Also brought two bottles of wine onboard in Rome - we bought them in a winery on a trip through the Roman Countryside.

Again - never tried to hide them - no problem.

I guess we were just lucky.

Thanks for asking about the flowers and to others for your answers. I can hardly wait now to shop some of the kiosks for flowers to take with me. If I can't carry it all, I'll just leave luggage, and take the flowers!!! Lol!

Obviously you can tell I love flowers. :)

Again, thanks for answers. Aren't we lucky to have such wonderful posters?

Cruzin Lady

Archived