Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mappa2

a few random thoughts:

just off the coral last saturday and being retired with little to do, i have had a few trivial thoughts . wonder if anyone has had similar thoughts.

1/ anytime dining works great! no wait- table for two if you want -

great innovation.

2/ i am a pizza freak and the pizza on the coral was the best i have

ever had on a cruise ship. in fact, about as good as i have had

anywhere.

3/ on my last few cruises (incl this one) the bacon has been great

for the first half of the cruise, but tasting greasy the last several

days.

4/ i wonder if it is worth going to the optional resturants. we spent

80.00 at sabatini's and had a so-so experience. the food in the

dining rooms were just fine.

5/ is princess attracting older folks or is cruising in general?

the parade of wheelchairs, walkers and cane's made me feel young.

6/ finally, it was tough having to leave the ship. the only good thing

about it was i could go back to living without someone asking if

i want to buy a drink every five minutes, starting from 8:30 A.M.

The pizza on the Coral IS very good; you should try the pizza on the Dawn in the sit-down restaurant. The best!!!!

I've never tried an optional dining room. I've heard such mixed reviews about Sabatini's and I am just delighted with the regular dining room food.

We did anytime dining on the Coral in April and found it was easy to get a table for two, although we tend to go to dinner very late.

I also love the pizza on Princess - on both the Grand and Coral class (near the pool) and the pizzeria (Sun class). I do somewhat prefer the Sun class because it is made to order :) But, I will take either any day.

I think anytime you take a 10 day cruise, you get an older crowd.

Glad you had a good cruise :)

Haven't had the pizza on the Coral, but the pizza on the Island Princess was marvellous. I agree about PC dining. We've used it twice on Princess, and on the NCL Sky and wouldn't go any other way, except that our next cruise is with a group on Enchantment of the Seas, and we don't have the choice. :mad: Can't comment on the bacon, didn't have a complaint myself.

As for Sabatini's, we did it on the Grand but were overwhelmed by the amount of food...so much that we told them not to bring the entrees. They almost looked offended. The cost wasn't a factor in our not doing it on the Island, just that we were extremely happy with the dining room food and service.

Good observations!

1/ I haven't sailed the Coral, but we did PC dining on CB recently and were pleased. We had intended to be laid back and not dine in dining room each night, so loved the convenience of no one expecting us. Did have just a hint of maybe missing the traditional waiter service if for more than a 7 day cruise.

2/ I agree with bj, the sit down pizzarias are heavenly! We were on the Regal and their menu-ordered pizza & calzones were really good!

3/ It's funny you mention the bacon being cooked well, as I noticed this on the CB also. Good for Princess for leaving it on the griddle that extra 2 mins!

4/ We enjoyed Sabitinie's on our first cruise, but have never felt the need to go back. Once experienced, it was enough for us.

5/ I think it all depends on the itinerary and lenght of cruise for age of pax

Have you written a review on the Coral? I would love to read it.

Alll I can say is you people in the eastern part of the U.S/ must have terrible Pizza Parlors. The Pizza on board is ok, but come to the midwest...Chicagoland area to be exact and you will find not only the best pizza but the best food selections in the world!

Here - Here!!!! Terry & Christine

I have never had a pizza anywhere as good as in Chicago. My 28 y/o daughter thought the pizza on the grand to be just O.K. I didn't like the looks so didn't try it.

Kaye

daWoods,

That is the funniest story(a great story) about turning back the entrees!

I can just picture the face of your Waiter:eek: ! LOL

The only pizza I have found on a Princess Ship that was not good was on the Tahitian Princess..................just nothing to the darned thing. Other than that ship we have loved the pizza on every other Princess ship.

Yep, agree with the bacon part, DH is a bacon lover and he gets irritated about the bacon too. (small things upset him LOL)

We have also found that the younger crowd is on the 7 day sailings, anything longer than that you have the wheel chair and walker crowd that seem to outnumber the younger ones.

Sorry, can't remember the last time we were hounded to buy drinks on Princess, hasn't happened in years, in fact we have found it difficult to even find a bar waiter on the last few sailings.

Love PC Dining, don't need to sit and BOND with the same tablemates each and every night of a cruise, especially when you have not one thing in common with them. Love the fact of PC, dining with who you want and when you want. Fun to meet new people that you might actually have something to talk about in common.

Just to clarify about the pizza: I have no doubt that Chicago has the best pizza and hope to try it one day.

As for Princess pizza: I think the pizzarias that are sit-down special order restaurants on Princess' older and smaller ships have much better pizza than on the Grand class make-ahead walk-up places. I never eat that stuff, it's flat, lukewarm, and not my choice of toppings.

regarding the claim that chicago pizza is the "best", i believe that

it is a matter of personal taste. i can enjoy chicago pizza on occasion

but it is too thick and doughy for my taste.

christinelee -

gee, i never realized that indiana was the culinary capital.

will strongly consider it for my next vacation.

Pizza on the Sapphire was fair. I grew up in the Chicagoland area and there is nothing like Chicago pizza (thick, thin, deep dish or stuffed). Geno's East on the north side was the best.

mappa2

just came off the same cruise as you - it was wonderful - funny, my husband said the same thing about the bacon.

We did not see too many older people as you say - we are in our 50's.

Loved loved the ship and wishes she went somewhere different next year - I take her again in a heartbeat.

do the sun princess next october

carol in connecticut

carol allen - i agree with you - its a great ship!

we were on the sun last november and even though

its a little older, its a very nice ship. in some ways

i enjoyed it even more than the coral.

i thought the shows were great on the coral.

Another vote for the pizza from the east coast. I never said "Indiana" I said the Chicagoland (Milwaukee to South Bend) had the best and most diverse food dishes in the world! :p