• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Shopping for watches in port question.

I've had my eye on a watch that costs about $1100 in the states. I've always heard that you can get good deals on watches/jewelry in port. How much less is it there realistically? I was planning on looking in St. Marteen, I've gotten real good deals on booze there. Do you get better deals for paying cash? Any tips for me?

It all depends on who you are buying them from. I wouldn't purchase a watch from a junky looking store. But their are a lot of reputable jewelers at the various ports. Before you leave just get your best price so you can compare it. Don't rule out the stores on the ships. The jewelry and watches tend to go on sale as the cruise comes to a end. On my last cruise I bought a Citizen on board and saved about $200 bucks compared to my best price here in the states.

It all depends on who you are buying them from. I wouldn't purchase a watch from a junky looking store. But their are a lot of reputable jewelers at the various ports. Before you leave just get your best price so you can compare it. Don't rule out the stores on the ships. The jewelry and watches tend to go on sale as the cruise comes to a end. On my last cruise I bought a Citizen on board and saved about $200 bucks compared to my best price here in the states.

I know the exact model that I want. It's a Tag Heuer "Formula 1 Limited Edition Kimi Raikkonen". The cheapest I could find it for online is $898. If i could save even more off that I would be very happy. I'll probably bring a printout with me. Can you haggle with them at the decent jewelry stores? I know what you mean by the junky ones, I was in one them last year.

Of course you can negotiate. Keep in mind that most of the ports are loaded with nice Jewelry stores. So you can jump in and out of 20 stores pretty easily. I think Cozumel had the most stores, but a lot of the ports have the same stores. Like Diamonds International is big in most of the ports plus a few that I can't remember. I'm sure you can also get a better price if you offer them cash instead of credit card.

I know the exact model that I want. It's a Tag Heuer "Formula 1 Limited Edition Kimi Raikkonen". The cheapest I could find it for online is $898. If i could save even more off that I would be very happy. I'll probably bring a printout with me. Can you haggle with them at the decent jewelry stores? I know what you mean by the junky ones, I was in one them last year.

I think if you know exactly what you want, and have a price in mind, that's a great start. I would probably try and haggle, unless you see your particular watch and it's a great price already. all they can say is no.

I have purchased 3 watches while on cruises. I felt most comfortable purchasing in St. Maarten, which is where all 3 were bought. Each watch was picked up at different stores. My latest purchase was a Citizen that was also available on the ship. The price difference was $50.00 between the ship and the store. The store being less. The best price in the states was around $200.00 more than for what I purchased it in St. Maarten. IMO, it was a very good deal. While shopping I found that the stores have more price flexibility on certain brands. Citizen happens to be one of them. I was also shopping for a Tissot touch screen watch and found all the stores had the exact same deal. This is because Tissot dictates the price. So keep that in mind.

Since you have an exact brand and model in mind, you are further ahead than I ever was. Since you are looking for a limited edition, it might be more difficult to find, but there are easily a dozen shops within a couple of blocks that sell watches and most of those sell Tag Heuer. Also, I'm pretty sure the ship sells Tag Heuer, but they won't have the selection.

If you find what you are looking for, don't take the first or second price they offer. They will deal. Remember, you are not paying tax. Plus, if you use a credit card, make sure they charge it in US currency to avoid any CC company exchange rate charges. Paying in cash may give you price leverage too. It's all a game and they're good at playing it. :cool:

Good luck - :D

I don't know where you are going but St Thomas and Grand Cayman are great ports for this type of purchase. Somewhere between 35 & 44 % should be your discount. You might even get them to match the shore price onboard ( Tip photograph the Price) ask.

I proudly wear a TIMEX from WalMart so I am not an expert. :D

I would suggest you make your purchases from one of RCI's approved vendors. If you have a problem the RCI will help you resolve it.

Does it really take a licking but keeps on ticking?

They definitely had Tag Heuer F1 on board Jewel..... the McLaren ones..... we had a smile at that as we are fans.... however I can't tell you the price.....

I was looking at tags last year in St Thomas i think , not really shopping very hard, and the discount was 15 % off list for a Link . I think you can do better on ebay . I know i did , about 40 % off list for new . More for used ones.

cheers

Archived