• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Is Half Moon Cay, Bahamas another tiny island like grand turk?

domdombus

It's less developed than Grand Turk. It's a ship owned island. It's there to be a nice port to spend the day at the beach. It's absolutely gorgeous in my opinon (and I live in Florida near some very nice beaches). There are no roads to drive on and no houses, wandering animals, etc like Grand Turk.

I'll post some pictures for you when I get home if someone else doesn't beat me to it.

The only thing on HMC is the beach and their excursions.

There is a bar that has a band playing, their cabanas and a little water park area for the kids.

There is a area that has 2 gift shops that are real small. One of the gift shops you just use your S&S card. The other one takes cash only.

There is a area by the gift shops that has a bar and tables to sit as well as restrooms and a ice cream bar.

There is also a picnic area where they serve you lunch.

The beach is beautiful and a very nice relaxing atmosphere. We loved it there... we're going back in September.

Hope that helps

Wondering if Half Moon Cay, Bahamas is an itty bitty nothing to see island like grand turk.

I mean don't get me wrong! There is nothing more fabulous than the Grand Turk JAIL! (sarcasm)

Cruise critic has an article about the private islands owned by the cruise lines and it discusses half moon cay. I'd take a look at that article for starters.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=556

We enjoyed HMC much more than Grand Turk. It is pretty much a "beach day", whereas GT has more excursions, and more ships that port there. We did the horseback by land and sea excursion on HMC, and had an absolute blast on it. I would much rather go back to HMC than Grand Turk. The only "downfall" to HMC is that it is a tender port, and at GC you can walk right off the ship onto the island.

Grand Turk is a little bigger than Little San Salvador Island, where Half Moon Cay is located, but Grand Turk actually has towns and an airport. Little San Salvador has Half Moon Cay and that's about it.

We went last summer on liberty.. my 14 yr old dd (13 then) LOVED this stop, it was her favorite! It was just a lovely beach day for us... i usually bring my own floatie and just lounge in the water.. dh does a bit of snorkeling and swimming around and dd went on a big trampoline type thing in the water. We had a fabulous time, not touristy but quiet and relaxing. I want it on my next itinerary!

We enjoyed HMC much more than Grand Turk. It is pretty much a "beach day", whereas GT has more excursions, and more ships that port there. We did the horseback by land and sea excursion on HMC, and had an absolute blast on it. I would much rather go back to HMC than Grand Turk. The only "downfall" to HMC is that it is a tender port, and at GC you can walk right off the ship onto the island.

Out of all the private islands I like HMC second. Disneys Castaway Cay is first in my book but only by a very slight margin.

Bill

Wondering if Half Moon Cay, Bahamas is an itty bitty nothing to see island like grand turk.

I mean don't get me wrong! There is nothing more fabulous than the Grand Turk JAIL! (sarcasm)

It's actually Little San Salvador, one of over 700 island in the Bahama chain. Most of the island is a wildlife preserve and is protected. Only about 40 acres or so have been developed for cruisers... It was once wholly owned by HAL but with acquisition, Carnival Corporation now owns it. It is still a private island.

Actually Half Moon Cay AND Grand Turk are two of my favorite islands. Totally laid back - exactly what I like to do on cruises - be a beach bum. Grand Turk has some gorgeous water and great snorkeling places. Rent a golf cart and explore. Make sure you go to "I Wish I Could Stay Forever" bar on Half Moon Cay!

:)We were at Half Moon Cay last month and loved it. The private island and everything on it was very well maintained.

The water is so warm. We loved this beach and have gone on two cruises that went there. It is one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen. Nothing that you could imagine seeing until your there. Here is a picture we took

1975816187_BahamasVacation030.jpg.569ddb2079d56a05d2bbbd78aaa4a152.jpg

yes. it's itty bitty. it's a piece of little san salvador (i think i read once long ago on the corporate site that it's only 600 acres of it too), but it is very beautiful. quite pristine. official title was originally held by Hal, and probably still is, but corporate's other lines started calling on it years ago. it's one of my favorite ports, but then again, i am a beach person.

if you aren't a beach person, they have some excursions, but one of those most fantastic ones is the horseback riding on the beach. my youngest has been too young for us to do that yet (we've been there 3 or 4 times, at least), but one day he'll be old enough. the pictures from that excursion are fabulous, and i can't wait to do it.

Archived