Cruisewear: Sandals and Socks

Chelly

Only acceptable in very certain situations.

1) Running out to get the mail.

2) Running out to get the paper.

3) Driving someone someplace local where you are not having to leave the car.

4) Any day off of work where you need to run out for 10 minutes to the corner store for milk/eggs/bread etc...

These are the rules i live by at least, anyone care to add to the list?....

Sorry ya'll, socks with sandals (particularly slides) are the new "in" thing with kids. My 12 year old is currently wearing his addidas slides with BLACK socks and he is not the only one. Knee socks in obnoxious colors are also back. Oh, my eyes! Also, lots of people wear socks with Keens-not technically sandals but close enough.

Thought id add to this. I do the same thing (see my previous post), but only in certain situations, its definitely not something fashionable, but its something you can get away with in today's society.

Just like pajama pants, you can do it and get away with it, but its only for comfort/quickness.

I hope i explained that well enough ;)

Does anyone else have toeless socks for pedicures? I wear them when it's cold out with my flip flops until the polish is dry enough to wear shoes.

NOooo...Some of my Friends kid me about my toe-less Panty Hose which I frequently wear with my Sandals for dress:

http://www4.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?DeptID=50475&CatID=51876&GrpTyp=PRD&ItemID=13c1c30&attrtype=&attrvalue=&CMID=50475%7c51206&Fltr=&Srt=&QL=F&IND=6&CmCatId=50475|51206|51876

Wearing socks with sandals defeats the purpose of sandals. Sandals are meant to help keep your feet cool in hot weather. If you're wearing them with socks in cooler weather, you should have switched over to regular shoes. Even up here in the "frozen tundra" we don't wear sandals & socks. Ugh.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

For years, you could tell a European tourist (certain countries) vacationing in the States by the fact he would frequently wear sandals with dark socks. Kinda haven't seen that for a while; always looked forward to that sight:eek:

Well I say that sandals do keep you cooler than shoes, even with socks. And with socks, you aren't getting the nasty sweaty grime and bacteria that your feet would collect on the sandals themselves that would cause them to reek. Most people I see that wear sandals without socks have DISGUSTING smelling feet, I can smell them when I'm standing up. Yuck!

Absolutely never wear socks with sandles, I mean why would you wear sexy sandles with sox? That is like wearing knee highs with a sexy gown IMHO

I don't think we are referring to sexy sandals here when we speak of socks! These are walking sandals I am sure.

Middle-Aged Mom and Pipesdream62....you are sooo right about Seattle! Hey, wearing socks and sandals is THE fashion statement here. I don't care for the look, but it is common enough. My hubby most always wears socks with sandals. Can't say as I have seen very many here wearing socks and flip flops though! That looks strange.

By the way, Pemco Insurance has made lots of commercials regarding Seattle folks' eccentricities and one of those had to do with our Seattle sock sandal fashion statement.

Thanks Pipesdreams62 for the pix....they're terrific!:D:D:p

oh,,, the other requirement is that it is best to be seen wearing shorts with this style:rolleyes:

Have any of you heard of Okabashi sandals? These are fantastic sandals that are inexpensive, ultra comfortable, and made of lightweight plastic type material.

Best of all is that they seem to prevent stinky feet! They are practically indestructible. Just bought three pairs online and plan to take them on our Hawaii Circle Cruise.These are terrific cruise sandals for warmer climates.:)

On a somewhat related matter, at what age is it that men are expected to wear black dress socks with shorts? Just want to be ready.

And what's the point of having a wife, if among other spousal faults she can manage to point out, she misses this one? *L*

asandal.jpg
When I saw this picture, my first thought was "OMG! Add a mustache and that's my dad!" :eek: I think he has those EXACT sandals and wears them with white calf socks and sometimes has the fanny pack to complete the outfit. I make fun of him because I think that looks horrible. I don't know anyone my age (37) who wears socks with their sandals. I've seen my nephew's teen friends wearing slides with white ankle socks. Maybe it's a generational thing. Maybe in 10 years, I'll be doing it. :p

Absolutely never wear socks with sandles, I mean why would you wear sexy sandles with sox? That is like wearing knee highs with a sexy gown IMHO
I've seen several teen girls wearing thigh-highs with a shorter skirt so there is a couple-inch gap of bare leg showing. It looks weird to me, but I'm getting old anyway. I'm probably weird to teens (my nephew tells me that all the time!)

For years, you could tell a European tourist (certain countries) vacationing in the States by the fact he would frequently wear sandals with dark socks. Kinda haven't seen that for a while; always looked forward to that sight:eek:
A couple years ago when I was on a Galapagos cruise, there was a Scottish man who always wore knee-length shorts with knee-high socks the same color as the shorts with sandals. It was almost amazing. He wore red shorts one day and had red socks to match. :eek:

A podiatrist used to have his office in the suite next to mine. I never saw him out of his sandals (mostly Birkies), even in the dead of winter. He just wore thicker socks! I always wondered what he wore to ski. :D

My theory is that you should use footwear that makes you comfortable and don't worry about the snickering of the fashion police.

Archived