• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

carrying our passport ect

can anyone tell me, when we get off ship for an excursion must we take the passport with us each time, or is it only used when we arrive first day at the Port? I am debating on buying some type of neck wallets for everyone to carry everything everday. Thanks

I am very reluctant to carry my passport around a port of call - it is too valuable a document to me (and to someone who might take it).

I photocopy the important pages of it and have them with me - along with some official photo ID such as a drivers licence and your sea-pass. In all my cruises I have never been asked to show my passport either leaving or re-entering the ship. So photocopy it !

PS. Also a good idea to leave a photocopy with someone at home - in case you did lose it you would at least have all the details and it can be replaced a lot faster.

We always take ours with us. But it depends on the port. We have been in ports where your SeaPass and a photo ID are both required to reboard the ship. We had this happen last September when we did Radiance to Hawaii..........and they were all American ports. Go figure.

You can always make a copy of your info page with your picture on it and then have it laminated and take that with you if you are afraid that your passport may get lost.

The only problem with taking a photo copy is, for any reason, you miss the ship's departure..........your passport is much more useful than a photocopy.

can anyone tell me, when we get off ship for an excursion must we take the passport with us each time, or is it only used when we arrive first day at the Port? I am debating on buying some type of neck wallets for everyone to carry everything everday. Thanks

Hi There,

I did the Mariner in 2006, and the only time we needed our passport was on one of the US Virgin islands.

The US customs actually came aboard stamped the passport, we then put it back in the safe.

Upon arriving at the port passorts were handing in, processed and we never got them back until needed above.

All other ports, we just used the SeaPass cards as ID.

We are hold a British Passport.

Mike.

Never take ours into port. If I need ID, I take my license. Passport stays on the ship. I have a photo copy of the ID page from my passport and I throw that in with my stuff, but original stays in the safe on the ship til I go home.

We always take our passports with us. Who needs problems if you happen to miss the ship for some reason and your are on foreign soil trying to get off the island to meet the ship, or if you get sick or injured and happen to go to the hospital, then after try and get a flight home? There are so many things can can happen. We keep copies in the safe on ship and at home.

You will get many varying opinions here on this board on whether to take the passports with you when leaving the ship or not. There are pros and cons to each and you need to make up your mind which option you are more comfortable with.

Leave on the ship

Pro - If you loose what you have with you, you still have the original back on the ship. No hassle in getting it replaced

Con - If you somehow miss the ship and need to fly home you will have a lot of hassle trying to get back without the original passport (this applies to non US ports)

Take the passport with you - exactly the opposite of above

In either case make a copy and keep in the opposite place as the original and also leave one at home just in case.

We usually end up taking the originals with us. I am very careful with what we bring ashore and gives me a sense of safety in case anything should happen.

The recommendation from the ship is to always carry photo ID with you. So I do and leave photocopies in the room. If you are in a foreign land a photocopy is going to do you no good whatsoever should you be required to prove your ID and if necessary visa compliance.

I leave my passport, cash, and credit cards in the safe while on the ship.

Anytime I step off the ship, I take all three with me. You never know what could happen and if Murphy's Law kicks in, which would you rather have?

If carrying a copy of your passport on shore is such a great idea, why not take a copy of your credit cards and cash too? You'll get just as far with a copy of one as the other.

If carrying a copy of your passport on shore is such a great idea, why not take a copy of your credit cards and cash too? You'll get just as far with a copy of one as the other.

Very good point!! :rolleyes:

>>We always take our passports with us. Who needs problems if you happen to miss the ship for some reason and your are on foreign soil trying to get off the island to meet the ship, or if you get sick or injured and happen to go to the hospital, then after try and get a flight home? There are so many things can can happen. We keep copies in the safe on ship and at home.

I have to agree with both of these. A copy of your passport is useless except to help get a replacement. I don't want to be stuck somewhere I didn't plan to be, perhaps ill or injured, because I only have a copy with me. We leave copies on the ship and with our sons at home. If we lose our passports on an excursion, I'm willing to endure some extra time at our departure port while I wait for a replacement. :)

em

A copy of your ID page in your passport has your photo on it..........credit cards and cash do not.:p

We have been to some ports where, when using a credit card, a photo ID was required. When traveling, and using a credit card outside of your normal spending zone, it's always wise to contact the credit card company prior to leaving. Saves one a lot of embarrassment if a purchase is denied.

I take my passport and Amex card with me. If I am in an accident or get sick, or can't make it back to ship, my passport will get me back into the US. A photocopy won't do that without a lot of hassle. The only exception is Labadee. I figure that if there is an emergency in Labadee I will go back to the ship, that is the closest medical facility and it also has power unlike most of Labadee.

Archived