Seasick

bozzy187

I just got off the Majesty Saturday to the Bahamas (7days). Im still feeling weird, how long does it take the body to adjust to this. The boat was really really rocky the last day at sea. And by the way I had an awesome time.

I just got off the Majesty Saturday to the Bahamas (7days). Im still feeling weird, how long does it take the body to adjust to this. The boat was really really rocky the last day at sea. And by the way I had an awesome time.

Welcome home and glad to hear you had a great time.

Everyone is different but I suffer from "land" sickness for up to a week after getting off the ship. The shower was the worse, close your eyes and you feel like the whole thing is moving. Each day it will get better and better. Just think of it as a reminder of what a good time you had.

It is an actual condition and for most that have it it lasts a few days to a week some, like me it can take several months. Take Bonnie it really helps.

For some reason, chewing gum after I get home really helps. I also keep my relief band on for a few days after I return. Weird feeling to be sea sick back at work at your desk.

Well its good to see that you can still type in a straight line. lol

It's actually a good sign and shows that your now a cruise addict.

For some reason, chewing gum after I get home really helps. I also keep my relief band on for a few days after I return. Weird feeling to be sea sick back at work at your desk.

Has anybody tried the Anti Nausea Ginger Gum? It is a Sea-Band product.

I tried to use it, but it sticks to my partials, so I don't know if it works or not.

what is bonine?

It is an Anti Nausea medicine that is sold over the counter in drugstores and on most ships. It contains Meclizine 25 mg. This ingredient is also found in Dramamine non-drowsy pills. You can also buy Meclizine in drugstores (usually in 12.5 mg pill form) Meclizine is the only active ingredient in all of these.

I borrowed this from Derf5585 without permission so I hope it is ok. It is from a thread about this very thing that I will post the link to below.

Mal de debarquement (or Mal de débarquement) syndrome (MdDS, or disembarkment syndrome) is a rare condition usually occurring after a cruise, aircraft flight, or other sustained motion event. It has only recently received attention and very little real scientific research has been conducted. The phrase "mal de débarquement" is French for "disembarkation

from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mal_de_debarquement

Here is the link to the whole thread if you are interested:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=904432

I never suffered from it until my fourth or fifth cruise and have had it every time since. What is really odd is I really never get sick while on the cruise from motion, only this after the cruise is over with. The first time I got it, which was when we went to Alaska (I think) has been the worst. It literally lasted for me for two or three weeks and when taking a shower I would get so dizzy that I would have to brace myself with one hand against a wall the entire time I was taking a shower.

I just got back from Kaiser pharmacy and they had Meclizine in bottles of 100 tablets. 12.5 mg was $5.95 and 25 mg was $6.95. Much cheaper than Bonine.

A bottle of 100 25mg. Meclizine was $5.12 at Walmart a few days ago. Also, Sea Bands were $6.29 for a pair at Costco yesterday. :)

DT

• 2 weeks later...

Got off the Crown Princess yesterday, and I feel like I am being pulled from one side of the office to the other. Went to grab some Dramamine, hopefully kicking in soon. I was glad to see this happens regularly, I thought I was losing it.

what is bonine?

Nausea medicine, used for seasickness. Similar but not the same as the issue being discussed here, which is the after cruising problem.

I googled bonine and found lots of good articles. This one should help.

http://www.medicinenet.com/meclizine/article.htm

Google is your friend.

Archived