• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Oceanview - Port Holes vs Window

We've been on 3 cruises - one in an inside cabin and two in balconies. We can't afford a 7 day cruise right now so we are getting ready to book a 4 day cruise. We don't want to pay for a suite in order to get the balcony, so we are looking at the oceanview. I'd like to have some natural light in the room.

If you have stayed in both types of oceanviews, how much difference is there in the lighting that gets into the room? Is there anything else that I should consider?

I don't plan on spending much time in the cabin, but if we went with an inside, I'd probably sleep all day :) And I don't want to wake up to an alarm clock on vacation.

We have stayed in both types the most recent was an upgrade according to CCL. We book inside and were assigned OV with port-holes. You can't see too much, but they do provide lots of light during the day. You should book guarantee and take a chance for an upgrade. You save some $$$ and it's like winning the stateroom lottery.

Gecko7:cool:

...but little to no view. Remember on Carnival the porthole cabins are near the bow and depending on the curvature of the ship at your exact cabin location the porthole can be more of a tube than anything else. It does lighten the cabin a lot (and depending on the cabin you can end up with a huge window ledge as well) but the only time I got direct sunshine was if were facing the right way at sunrise and sunset.

You can see out the port holes, even if the view is thru like a tube thru the hull, at least you wake up and can tell if the sun is up or the waves are big or what is going on outside. Yes, of course a window that is bigger and flat on the hull you will see a better view, but we would take either. (and have had both).

Archived