• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Crwon Princess 3/8-3/15 - some observations

steveo2916

Many great reviews already of this ship, so I’ll just post some observations from one lucky enough to have sailed in a full suite (A752).

Embarkation: arrived by 12:15 and found the line for “elite” was longer than any of the others, so we just jumped to an open window and were on board within 15 minutes. The ship is quite beautiful.

Cabin: Went straight to our cabin and found that the extra space (compared to a VS) was nice, though the layout essentially the same. Found the bed very comfortable. The veranda is wonderful and we spent a lot of time out there. DD liked the full-size sofa bed (seems to me that the third bed on the CB VS was a twin, not sure about that). Nice flat-screen TVs now. Old love-boat episodes a hoot.

Amenities: made ample use of the free laundry service. Used less Internet time than I have in the past. Seemed to be less painfully slow this trip. Maybe I was just more tolerant? Enjoyed the mini-bar set-up.

BEST amenity of all is the breakfast in Sabatini’s! Tudor the Maitre D’, Marvin and Yureni our servers were a genuine delight. They were unfailingly cheerful and energetic, always seemed happy to see us! They were open 7:30-9:30 port days and 7:30-10:30 sea days. We made it for breakfast 5 times! Never more than two other tables busy when we were there, frequently we were all alone in our “private” restaurant!

Food: Breakfast selections in Sabatini were uniformly good. Loved everything we tried! Loved the mimosas and cappucinos.

Only ate in the Michelangelo dining room once for dinner. Food was okay, service seemed harried.

We enjoyed the Crown Grill and Sabatini’s so much we ate dinner in each three times. Found the new Sabatini’s menu selections really good (last visited 2007). Can’t say I disliked anything I tried. After our first visit, I learned to limit some of the appetizer intake though! Again, had the same service team each night. The chef (a very nice German fellow) came out to chat several times during dinner and breakfast. A very interesting guy. Tudor (Maitre D’) was always obliging for last-minute requests. Called for reservations to the dining line one day and were told they were all booked. Walked upstairs late in the afternoon and asked Tudor if he had had any cancellations and his response was simply “when would you like to dine with us” and accommodated! These folks all deserved the tips we delivered on the last night! Crown Grill filet’s were wonderful. Tried the porterhouse the first night and have to admit I like the filet better as it’s thicker and more charred. The lamb-loin carpaccio was a fave. As was the dessert sampler!

Miscellaneous observations:

Love the International Café and the live entertainment in the Piazza. Really enjoyed chatting with the guys from Spanx (a capella group). Loved Quadri – really great energy.

I know it’s been debated to death, but while we had a north-easterly swell several days, most of the time the seas were calm to moderate. Yet, with a stiff breeze and mild seas the ship still does move, especially up on deck 12 (Aloha). Just a personal observation. Not looking to stir things up!

All in all we both agreed that for whatever reason, this was by far our most relaxing cruise ever! We know how lucky we were to be traveling in the suite and really enjoyed the extras.

SteveO.

:)hi steve, really enjoyed reading your post, we are booked to do the crown in april , in cabin A753 ( identical to yours) may we ask a couple of questions as we are first time princess cruisers ( although having done many others).

1) is the internet usage complimentary for suite guests?

2) you mention "sabatinis" for breakfast, is this a chargeable service or is it complimentary to suite guests?

3) as we are taking mother!! is there a dividing curtain between the bedroom and lounge area?

hope you dont mind us asking...

thanks in advance

mark

:)hi steve, really enjoyed reading your post, we are booked to do the crown in april , in cabin A753 ( identical to yours) may we ask a couple of questions as we are first time princess cruisers ( although having done many others).

1) is the internet usage complimentary for suite guests?

2) you mention "sabatinis" for breakfast, is this a chargeable service or is it complimentary to suite guests?

3) as we are taking mother!! is there a dividing curtain between the bedroom and lounge area?

hope you dont mind us asking...

thanks in advance

mark

I'm not Steve but can answer your questions since we've been in suites on the Crown.

1) Yes, internet is complimentary for suite guests.

2) Sabatinis is complimentary to suite guests and only open for those staying in the suites

3) There is a dividing curtain between the bedroom and lounge area.

Archived