Coffee Question

Ok I have been reading on the board that the coffee is so bad on the ship. I HAVE to have my coffee and drink it black, so if it is bad I can not cover it up with cream and sugar. I guess my question is, How bad is it? Is it that bad in all venues? room service, windjammer, MD? Lastley if you go to Seattles best do they charge you for regular coffee in addition to the specialty drinks or is thier coffee complimentary? Also wondering if anybody has tried the new Starbucks instant coffee? looks like small packets and would be easy to take with and add hot water to?

Thanks in advance

Joey B

I don't drink coffee myself. However, I was recently on Brilliance with 3 very picky coffee drinkers. I was worried about it after reading the negative posts. I don't know if the coffee was different in the Med, but they all said they enjoyed the coffee very much (one of them drinks it black). They served Seattle's Best in the Windjammer, MDR and room service. My companions also purchased speciality coffees when returning to the ship in the afternoon.

The coffee is not bad on RCCL, it is terrible on Princess. The people who don't like the coffee on RCCL are the people who like it very weak. But, if you are afraid it's not to your liking, bring your own brand & a french press.

It's a matter of taste. I hate it, but it's OK if I water it down. My tablemate raved about it. Loved it very strong. Our waiter in the dining room knew to bring me a pot of hot water along with my coffee. In the Windjammer, I always got my own instead of having the waiter bring it so I could mix it properly.

I drink mine black too, but water was all I needed. I didn't need cream to cut the bitterness.

The coffee is not bad on RCCL, it is terrible on Princess. The people who don't like the coffee on RCCL are the people who like it very weak. But, if you are afraid it's not to your liking, bring your own brand & a french press.

Sorry to disagree, but I find the coffee on RCI both bad and weak. The WIndjammer has the worst coffee followed by the MDR. I havn't tried room service.

On Voyager and Freedom class ships I recommend getting Seattle's Best in Cafe Promenade. As SilentBob007 said, go to the dispensers in the back. I start out there, but there are times when I go ahead and order an Americano with an extra shot of espresso. The is a charge for drinks from the espresso bar.

I hadn't thought of a French Press, maybe I'll try that next time.

Its hard to say if the coffee is good or bad depending on strong or weak preference.

I also drink coffee black and have found the coffee in the WJ weak but really liked the free coffee in the Promenade Cafe. So, my suggestion is to try it different places and see what you like.

Angela

I think it also depends on the ship. It wasn't that bad on Monarch - but if you really like coffee - do like a previous poster suggested - brink your own and a french press. I'm thinking about doing that on our next cruise.

My husband is a very picky coffee drinker, likes it strong, and has always been happy with the coffee on the ship. He especially likes the Seattle's Best, but was happy enough in the dining room as well. The room service coffee was good. That being said, we both do use cream and sugar! You will find something you like on the ship, though. Try it all and see what you like!!

I suspect this is one of those personal preference things. Unlike another poster, we found the coffee in the Windjammer and MDR better than the room service coffee. But we like the convenience of having coffee available as we got up and ready in the morning - before we went up for breakfast.

We didn't find any of the coffee bad - but would rate it best in the dining room, next in the Windjammer, last via room service. We didn't try the Seattle coffee. I thought it cost extra and I have an aversion to paying extra for things I can get for free.

Have not tried Starbucks instant, but have tried the Folgers coffee bags and like them a lot. just like tea bags. If you must have coffee, try these ahead of time at home and decide for yourself if it's a good standby. Take up no space to pack and all you need is hot water.

I've been fine with coffee on Princess and RCL. I can't stand BAD COFFEE but may not be much of a connisseur (nor can I spell it).

I think the coffee is fine. I actually like strong coffee but in the Windjammer and in the Cafe Promenade I always water it down a little. The MDR coffee is always fine for me. I do drink decaf so that may make a difference. It is all Seattle's Best so if you don't like that, you won't like it!

I would suggest taking some of the new Starbucks instant or Folger's bags and then if the Seattle's Best on the ship doesn't satisfy you - you're still covered. You will have no problem getting the hot water for the instant coffee.

The only time I have had decent free coffee on a cruise ship was Royal Caribbean Voyager Class (Adventure) - The spot to go is the Royal Promenade to the serve-yourself area. They have Seattle's Best brewed from beans (not syrup). I have found the Windjammer and room service coffee to be terrible on all my RC cruises and the main dining room drinkable, but far from good. Celebrity and HAL's coffee was even worse. I am bringing the new Starbuck's VIA on my next cruise (and/or a French press).

Archived