• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Just Got an HC cabin!

Rick Knee

I just got moved to cabin 7612 on the Radiance of the Seas. Yeah!

Now I get get my power chair in the room and won't have to wear my braces as long each day.

Anyone else been in this or similar rooms on RCL.

Rick

First cruise coming up in May:)

It's especially important because my dear wife of 37 years just finished chemo and is now in remission and this is the first thing on our "bucket list".

We are well traveled but never on a cruise ship. We have an RV which we love but as I get weaker because of post polio syndrome it get more difficult to drive.

I sure hope we like cruising. We have been to Alaska in the RV (51 days of driving) so now we will see things from the ocean side.

Can't wait!

Rick

It's especially important because my dear wife of 37 years just finished chemo and is now in remission and this is the first thing on our "bucket list".

We are well traveled but never on a cruise ship. We have an RV which we love but as I get weaker because of post polio syndrome it get more difficult to drive.

I sure hope we like cruising. We have been to Alaska in the RV (51 days of driving) so now we will see things from the ocean side.

Can't wait!

Rick

I'm very glad for both of you. Cruising can be a great way to take a vacation for someone with a disability: you don't have to pack/unpack each day, don't have to worry about where to go for food or whether it's accessible or not, can choose to go..or not go..to entertainment, and have medical care should it be necessary (let's hope not! It's quite expensive!), and can see a lot of wonderful sites even without ever leaving the ship.

Have a great cruise!

Can't wait!

Rick

I feel sure you will love cruising...especially if you like an RV..you don't have to do any work on a cruise..it's awesome!

Best wishes to both you and your wife!

My hubby and I had that room on the Serenade (sister ship) and it was great. No problems manuevering his power chair into or around the cabin. The ship itself is very accessible and beautiful. It has lots of glass so even when you are in the inside areas you can easily see the view. Our trip was also to Alaska and I can't say enough great things about our trip. I sincerely hope you have a wonderful time!

You are gonna love the Radiance. Beautiful ship. We are working on our bucket list. Going to the Mediterranean this year. We went on an Alaskan cruise tour last August. Their buses were handicapped accessible. The train ride was also. They really knew how to treat the handicapped. We had an awesome tour guide and it was the most enjoyable, scenic cruise we have traveled. The only problem we encountered was rain. In Ketchikan I thought I was going to grow gills. Dress in layers. Be prepared for changing weather.

YEAH!!! Great news. You will fall in love with the simplicity of cruising. The Radiance is a lovely ship with LOTS of glass. Views are unreal. Words do not describe Alaska. You may not even make it home before you decide to trade in your RV. You can even book a future cruise on board and get some special deals not available off ship. Have a gradn time!!

Can't wait!

Rick

Good deal, Rick - I travel with my brother who is in a wheelchair and my 76 y.o. mother, who, like you has PPS - and cruising is the best way for us...my guess is you will sell that RV, and keep sailing:D

Hi Rick Knee, I was in that room and have some pics from my Hawaian trip in Sep 2008. I thoink I can find them for you. My email is capt data at mts dot com. Change the At to you know what and the dot and close everthing else.

Hi Rick. My husband Oscar is also a PPS survivor. We LOVE to cruise. He can no longer even get in or out of his chair, bed, etc without my assistance, so traveling using motels just doesnt work for more than 1 or 2 nights.

The HC rooms on the RCI fleet are great. Especially the angeled door into the bathroom. On some ships it is a 90 degree into the bath, and the door stick out into the entrance.

We have not been on the Radiance, but It will be great. Enjoy

Rick,

My husband too has Post Polio syndrome and he did very well and thoroughly enjoyed our Alaskan cruise last year. Hope it will be the same for you. Remember to budget out your energy level and don't over do!!

Can't wait!

Rick

Archived