• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Laundrettes-self serve- on Prinsendam?

debshomespun

On the deck plans of the Prinsendam it shows the self serve launderette. Are they still on the ship available to passengers? My Aunt & Uncle are looking at the Nov. 25 Amazon River cruise, and they have never cruised before and had several questions. TIA!

Yes! And, when I was on the ship there was no charge (don't know if that has changed). The ship provides detergent; they should bring their own dryer sheets.

Your aunt and uncle will have a marvelous time on this very special ship.

We were on the ship in April 2006 in the Amazon & as other posters have said yes the Prinsendam does have passenger laundry rooms..

One thing you should warn your Aunt & Uncle about is that Laundry rooms will be closed & only essential laundry service will be operating once they enter the Amazon.. They will be closed until the ship leaves the Amazon..

The Prinsendam could not produce fresh water while in the Amazon due to poor quality of local river water & they could only take on fresh water in limited amounts..

All Passengers were asked to conserve water during our stay in the Amazon from May 6th to May 14th, by recycling our towels & not letting the water run excessively in our cabins.....

Rather than trying to get into the laundry rooms, which were always crowded before & after the Amazon, we sent our laundry out for a very reasonable price of $12.00 per bag while still in the Caribbean & also again after we left the Amazon several times..You would be amazed what you can stuff into those bags..

Hope your Aunt & Uncle enjoy their Cruise...:)Betty

On our Nov 08 Amazon cruise on the Prinsendam they asked to conserve water while on the Amazon but did not close the laundry. The CD on one evening said that we were doing a great job of conservation and it was OK to use the laundry facilities. I found that hitting the laundry at 6am - then going back to bed for 45minutes (washer cycle time) worked fine.

Thanks so much for all your replies. They are going to book this afternoon. My TA has the cruise on hold for them. This will be their first cruise! They did a small river boat trip on the Amazon (30 people on the boat) in Nov. 08 and loved it. Wish I could go with them, but I can't go at that time of year.

On our Nov 08 Amazon cruise on the Prinsendam they asked to conserve water while on the Amazon but did not close the laundry. The CD on one evening said that we were doing a great job of conservation and it was OK to use the laundry facilities. I found that hitting the laundry at 6am - then going back to bed for 45minutes (washer cycle time) worked fine.

I'm surprised they did not close the laundry last year.....But if it remains open & you want to get up that early go for it..Betty

Rather than trying to get into the laundry rooms, which were always crowded before & after the Amazon, we sent our laundry out for a very reasonable price of $12.00 per bag while still in the Caribbean & also again after we left the Amazon several times..You would be amazed what you can stuff into those bags..
True. I paid $12/bag on the Prinsendam in October but it went up to $20/bag while on the Amsterdam in January. That's a pretty big price jump.

Archived