• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Miss Ship - catch up at Princess Cays ???

NukeTim

Just wondering if anybody has heard of anyone (or actually experienced) missing the ship in Ft. Lauderdale (for whatever reason), and then getting to the ship the next day while it was at Princess Cays? Is that doable? Please don't tell me about going in a day early as I probably will. This is just a rhetorical question.

Just wondering if anybody has heard of anyone (or actually experienced) missing the ship in Ft. Lauderdale (for whatever reason), and then getting to the ship the next day while it was at Princess Cays? Is that doable? Please don't tell me about going in a day early as I probably will. This is just a rhetorical question.

Not possible, no transportation to Princess Cays. I doubt Princess would allow it anyway, it would have to be a port city.

I have a story. We missed the plane to Miami this past X-mas holidays due to the unusual snow storm in Vegas. We were trying to catch an RCI 10-day Panama Canal partial transit. The first stop was an island in Haiti owned by RCI so now chance catching the boat there. We had to catch the boat 4 days later in Cartegena, Columbia. There is no direct flight to Cartegena and we had to spend the night at the airport in Medellin, Columbia. Now that was scary! After 10 pm, the airport basically shut down. No one speaks English (well, except 1 person). No food avail.....ugh!

Not possible, no transportation to Princess Cays. I doubt Princess would allow it anyway, it would have to be a port city.

Colo, how so? I flew den to mia to eleuthera on my honeynoon on a land based vacation, are you saying there are no longer flights there via miami, of course this was 1988, so I am now dating myself as I was 30 years old at the time? Granted from the north side of Eleuthera to the south end (Pcays) is a distance, but I would not venture to say impossibble uness you have other info i am not aware of. :) this would of course be out of pocket expense,if that's what you refer to. Peace, Love, a shout out to the rainbow people on Pearl Street Boulder and a good morning to all on the off ramps at I25 with collection cups and cell phones if you catch them at the right moment and wheat grass shots from whole foods to all, I am no longer so fortunate as to live i the centennial state.cacy. (tongue in cheek, but seriously, miss my home)

A few years ago we did a cruise from Fort Lauderdale and our first stop was Princess Cays.

Due to the weather we were not allowed to leave the boat in order to go to Princess Cay and the Captain said they come to a stop to pick up some people who missed the boat in Fort Lauderdale. We and many others watched when this people arrived on a tender boat and the staff helped them and their luggage to get on our boat.

When we flew out of FLL last January, as I sat there in terminal 1 waiting to see if we cleared the standby list for the early flight home, I noticed a bunch of Continental commuter gates beside our area, and one of the flights was going to Eluethera. Not sure which of the 3 airports on the island it goes to but Rock Sound International is only about 20 miles from Princess Cays.

Many think that Princess Cays is a private island ... but, as others have said, it's part of the Bahamas island of Eluethera, I know that there are land-based resorts on Eluethera so you need to be able to get there. I'm sure that there aren't a lot of flights everyday, so timing might be an issue.

A few years ago we did a cruise from Fort Lauderdale and our first stop was Princess Cays.

Due to the weather we were not allowed to leave the boat in order to go to Princess Cay and the Captain said they come to a stop to pick up some people who missed the boat in Fort Lauderdale. We and many others watched when this people arrived on a tender boat and the staff helped them and their luggage to get on our boat.

On one cruise we were on, there was a medical disembarcation in

Princess Cays. Regular tendering was delayed, while a passanger

and nurse were disembarked. We later learned that they were driven

to an airport on Eleuthera, and flown onward to Miami.

I don't get the posts "no transportation to princess cays" -- if you

don't know, why post wrong info?

I can recall seeing people with luggage and definitely not dressed for a beach day getting on a tender at Princess Cays. They must have flown over from Florida and arranged a ride to the Princess area. My guess is that you'd have to act very quickly to make alternate plans, and then hope the weather cooperates.

Colo, how so? )

I don't know of any transportation to Princess Cays for Princess Pax do you?

I am not saying you can't get a speedboat there from a bigger island.

I seriously doubt Princess would even entertain letting a passenger embark there and I probably think it would be a big Bahama Immigration No no. ;)

As Rob said I am sure it is possible.

You are dating yourself and I stay as far away from I-25 as I can. :eek:

On my last cruise, I met some folks who had missed the ship in FLL due to weather delays. Our first stop was Princess Cays, but they were told they had to meet up with the ship in St. Thomas (second stop, third day of the cruise). Wonder why.

My thoughts: although flights go to Eleuthra, there are probably only one or two flights a day, making it hard to catch one. Also, ships often miss Princess Cays due to bad weather/seas. Maybe Princess doesn't want to chance flying people there in case of the ship missing the port?

I don't know of any transportation to Princess Cays for Princess Pax do you?

I am not saying you can't get a speedboat there from a bigger island.

I seriously doubt Princess would even entertain letting a passenger embark there and I probably think it would be a big Bahama Immigration No no. ;)

As Rob said I am sure it is possible.

You are dating yourself and I stay as far away from I-25 as I can. :eek:

They do have roads and cabs on the island, you don't need a speedboat. I'm sure you have been there enough times to have noticed the gate and the road right by the marina. They offer tours outside of Princess Cays now, so obviously there is transportation there. I can't see why Bahamas immigration would be an issue, as you would clear when you land.

I just checked and Continental flies twice a day to North Eleuthera and once to Governor's Harbour from FLL, and Bahamasair has several flights each day to all 3 Eleuthera airports via Nassau from FLL.

I've never missed the ship yet, so not sure what the procedure is, but I'm sure the first thing is a phone call to Princess and seeking their advice. I wouldn't just show up at the gate to Princess Cays with my suitcase.

On my last cruise, I met some folks who had missed the ship in FLL due to weather delays. Our first stop was Princess Cays, but they were told they had to meet up with the ship in St. Thomas (second stop, third day of the cruise). Wonder why.

My thoughts: although flights go to Eleuthra, there are probably only one or two flights a day, making it hard to catch one. Also, ships often miss Princess Cays due to bad weather/seas. Maybe Princess doesn't want to chance flying people there in case of the ship missing the port?

We had a weather delay going to FLL in Dec 2007 flying Princess airline arrangements, and the in-transit Phone support said that the process was to fly us to the first major port, which in our case was St. Thomas if we missed the ship. We made the ship (long story posted here on CC Jan 2008).

Operations in Princess Cays wrapped up early due to rain, so had we been routed there we could have missed the ship a second time.

We could think of worse options than to stay in St. Thomas for a couple of nights waiting for the ship. Princess Travel Insurance also had what sounded like really good coverage for the onshore days waiting for the ship.

I've never missed the ship yet, so not sure what the procedure is, but I'm sure the first thing is a phone call to Princess and seeking their advice. I wouldn't just show up at the gate to Princess Cays with my suitcase.
Actually, they won't give you advice unless you've purchased Princess air. However, you can call and alert them as to your plans and when/where you expect to board the ship.

Wouldn't you need a passport to fly to Eleuthera? That could also be a factor. If you didn't, you could possibly board the ship in St. Thomas but without a passport, your options would be very limited.

Actually, they won't give you advice unless you've purchased Princess air. However, you can call and alert them as to your plans and when/where you expect to board the ship.

Wouldn't you need a passport to fly to Eleuthera? That could also be a factor. If you didn't, you could possibly board the ship in St. Thomas but without a passport, your options would be very limited.

If people don't want to get a passport, they deserve to not be able to catch up to the ship. I can't believe there are still resisters to such a simple thing.

As to phoning them, I'm sure they will give me advice on whether I should bother to catch a flight to the Bahamas or not. If all I have to do is alert them of my plans, would telling them my rich uncle is going to take me out to the ship on his cabin cruiser or helicopter, and would the captain mind lowering the gangway for me work? LOL

If people don't want to get a passport, they deserve to not be able to catch up to the ship. I can't believe there are still resisters to such a simple thing. -- I couldn't agree more.

As to phoning them, I'm sure they will give me advice on whether I should bother to catch a flight to the Bahamas or not. If all I have to do is alert them of my plans, would telling them my rich uncle is going to take me out to the ship on his cabin cruiser or helicopter, and would the captain mind lowering the gangway for me work? LOL

Actually, I have missed the ship due to a surprise snow storm quite a few years ago (even though I had planned to fly into San Juan the day before boarding.) My TA and I worked with AA to get alternate flights to catch up with the ship in Martinique. A Princess Rep was there at the airport to greet us (there were others who had also missed the ship), cross our names off her list, and put us on a van she'd arranged to take us to the ship. The Rep had arranged for a truck to take our luggage to the ship separately. We had no idea what to expect when we arrived in Martinique and were worried about how we'd make it to the ship in time (the plane arrived only an hour before the ship was scheduled to leave) but Princess took care of all of that. An anxiety-ridden flight ended well, thanks to Princess. So, IMHO, it's worth keeping Princess informed of your plans and when you'll be arriving.

I usually let things roll but whose business is it to say that those people who don't have a passport don't deserve to catch up with the ship? That's a REALLY rude thing to say. And BTW...I have one. Wow! So judgemental. I have cruised without a passport and still don't need one but I got one. If someone doesn't yet have the legal need to have one and is waiting to spend the money until they do, that is their RIGHT. They are no less or more deserving of others. That is just ignorant to say someone who doesn't have a passport is not deserving of something someone with a passport does. UGH

Did the poster say he needed a passport and didn't have one? I read it to say he was just asking a rhetorical question. Gheeze...............
Yes, he was asking a rhetorical question but with so many passengers cruising without passports or thinking they don't need one, I mentioned it only as a reminder.

Bottom Line here..............they STILL don't need one for many cruises, they just don't "think" they don't need one. In June that changes, but the rude comment about not non-passport holders not "deserving" to make a ship was MY point. And then for someone else to say to THAT comment, "I totally agree " was just plain not necessary. For me it wasn't about having a passport or not! AGAIN I ask...whose business is it if someone choose to get one yet or not??

Archived