• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

flight from Vancouver: What time on disembarkation day?

poss

I'm hoping that people who've done this can maybe set my mind at ease.

I'm not doing Regent air, but Regent air dept told me that they're booking flights out from 11:00 A.M. on. On one of the posts on the "Alaska" board, people seem to be saying that they think it's a great mistake to book a return flight earlier than noon, some even say 1:00 P.M. The flight I'm looking at (so that for once in my life I can actually use some frequent flyer miles!) leaves Vancouver at 11:45. Very nervous-making.

Btw, I also read about something called "U.S. direct" which purportedly makes the whole customs and check-in process much easier and quicker. Regent does not participate, alas. (no doubt because it's considerably smaller than the lines that do?)

Thanks in advance.

Hopefully someone with more specific advise will post, but we were on the Mariner last September, and our flight was at 1:30pm. We didn't think we would have a problem. In fact, we were quite leisurely about waiting until our color was called, but once we disembarked, we were amazed by the lines, both to clear customs just off the ship (other Regent passengers) and at the airport. More importantly, the queue for taxis was unbelievable, at least an hour or more long. Some guy with a limo was grabbing folks out of the taxi line and so we jumped at it. So, I'm not sure this helps, but if there are three ships disembarking like there was last year, make sure you get advice on how to disembark early and have transportation lined up.

This isn't a good answer, but, it really depends. We live within driving distance of Vancouver airport. We were off the ship quickly and were home by 10:00 a.m.

We have a Nexus pass that typically helps us get through customs quickly. It does not help when you are disembarking from a cruise ship. It may depend upon how many other ships are in port the day the Mariner is there.

I personally would feel comfortable with the time your flight departs. . . but, there are just no guarantees.

I live in the Vancouver area and I think an 11 am flight is a bit risky.

Once you disembark the ship and clear Canandian customs, the lines are long to get transportation to the airport, which is a 30-45 minute drive from the cruise ship terminal. Vancouver has no freeways to the airport so you are at the mercy of the traffic and if there is an accident en route, you will definitely not make it.

Once you get to the airport you then have to deal with long lines to check in as well as those at security. If you are flying to the United States then you also have to pre clear US Customs at the Vancouver aiport.

Hope this helps.

Thank you all so much for the replies (I was beginning to wonder whether anyone would answer).

Everything you say makes sense, and I trust it. I sure do wish that a person could feel comfortable trusting Regent's air department. They insist that 11:00 A.M. flights are fine and dandy (according to info they supposedly get from the Captain). But from what you say they seem to me to be fairly iffy. Even with that 11:45 flight, we'd get back to Phila at 11:30 at night, not the greatest for these oldsters, especially as we have a 2+ hour drive to get home from the airport. So not sure what to do. We could, I know, choose to overnight in Vancouver, just to be safe. But our time is tight; really do need to get back (We adored Vancouver the one time we were there; wish we didn't need to rush back.) We could actually fly first class (business class, whatever it's called these days...) on our miles. Would be a very rare treat for us. Going out (to Anchorage) times are great-- but coming back is the real sticking point. (Sigh. If DH were aware of these problems, his vote would be to scrap the whole trip. I'm hoping to get things figured out and settled comfortably so that my reluctant traveler husband-- and I!-- can relax.)

Thanks!

We've disembarked at Canada Place as early as 8 and been at the airport by 9 from a Regent Ship. We were in port with two others last time and went to friends in Washington and we were clear with 3 ships. The longer line is for those clearing customs to return to the USA.

Poss, if I were you I would squeeze that extra day and stay overnight. That way you can have a relaxing day, and get a nice early flight that will get you to Philly at a decent hour. These redeyes from the left coast are a pain, for sure. You must be forced to connect somewhere, right? You could consider staying the night there, of course. Where do they have you connecting?

Archived