• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Land Tour

DebbyM249

We are very seriously considering dropping our landtour with Princess and doing it our way. We leave on Princess 9/7 S.B. and would appreciate some sample tours of travling 7-8 days from Anchorage to Fairbanks through Denali and back to Anchorage.

Can someone give us some sample itineraries? places to stay, eat etc

thanking in advance.

There isn't too much "sample" to offer??? Drive to Denali park, stop/stay in Talkeetna, 2 nights at Denali, Shuttle bus to Eielson, Fairbanks 2 nights (don't even bother unless you invest this time. Return to Anchorage.

There is a wide range of places to stay and eat. Figure out Where you want to be and go, budget, then you will get specific information.

For first timers, I give an edge to Seward vs Fairbanks. Where the route would go there to the south, with Denali Park the north. Again SIMPLE. :)

We are not including Fairbanks, but rather Seward as Budget Queen mentions above. Since you asked, here's the rundown of our itinerary. Feel free to ask any other questions about it.

Day 1: Arrive Whittier, Prince William Sound day cruise, rent car, overnight in Seward at Angels Rest.

Day 2: Exit glacier hike and ice trek with Exit Glacier guides, Alaska Sealife Center, overnight in Seward again.

Day 3: Kenai Fjords day cruise with Renown (2 for 1 in tour saver book), overnight in Seward again.

Day 4: Seward to Palmer with a side trip to visit Hatcher's Pass and Independence Mine. May stop at Alaska Native Heritage Center but is still up in the air. Over night in Palmer at Hatcher's Pass Bed & Breakfast.

Day 5: Palmer to Denali with a side trip to Talkeetna for a summit flightseeing trip with Talkeetna Aero Tours (2 for 1 with tour saver), overnight in Healy (Denali) at Denali Lakeview Inn

Day 6: Shuttle bus to Wonder Lake at Denali National Park, overnight at Denali Lakeview Inn again

Day 7: Denali back to Anchorage with possible stops at Talkeetna for 2nd chance flightseeing, Alaska Native Heritage Center, AWCC, and visiting downtown Anchorage. Will really depend on the time though and if we need to try and flightsee again. Midnight flight home.

Personally, having done Fairbanks before, I didn't think it was all that great compared to many of the other places in Alaska that we visited. Just my 2 cents though. Good luck with the planning!

Archived