• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Chichen Itza excursion

ash4020

Another couple are traveling with my fiance and I on a cruise. We are wanting to do the Carnival Chichen Itza excursion. We are curious about the amount of walking. Friend is not able to walk long distances for long periods of time. Has anyone had any experience with this excursion? If not, I will repost on Carnival, but I thought I would get better answers on this board.

Another couple are traveling with my fiance and I on a cruise. We are wanting to do the Carnival Chichen Itza excursion. We are curious about the amount of walking. Friend is not able to walk long distances for long periods of time. Has anyone had any experience with this excursion? If not, I will repost on Carnival, but I thought I would get better answers on this board.

If you don't get any good answers, you might try the Progreso/Merida port of call board.

Last year we did RCI's Chichen Itza excursion; I have to assume it would be pretty similar since there's still only the one Chichen Itza.

During the tour part of the ruins we spent probably about two hours alternately walking and standing. I'm assuming you'd skip some of the 'optional' stuff like walking to the Well of Souls or the observatory areas, but still... I'd say there's enough walking and standing (unless standing is okay and it's just walking that's the problem) to get around Chichen Itza that I wouldn't really recommend it for someone who has problems with walking. It's not a lot of stairs or hills or hiking or anything like that, but still.

Thank you. That's what I was worried about. We were all really excited to go, but I think we're just going to skip it this trip. :( Oh well, I'm not going to let this get us down. Just going to find something less walking intensive.

I use a cane or scooter and I know for a fact that for someone with walking difficulties, it's a very tough trip. I would not recommend any ruins for those with walking problems unless that person has a wheelchair or a power wheelchair.

and even a power chair or wheelchair can be difficult at Chichen Itza due to uneven surfaces to get to the temple or the ball court and if it has rained much even the grass surfaces become very difficult if not impossible. I would not recommend this as a tour for anyone who has problems walking.

We were in Chichen Itza about a year ago. My dh has seizures and neuorological problems due to viral encephalitis. It is a two hour ride in a bus from Progresso (so a two hour back). You are in a bus for four hours. We spent about 2.5 hours at the site. There was a building that had a bathroom and areas to sit. The rest of it was walking. My husband has no problems walking but when he gets tired or overheated he has headaches and seizures. We made sure we drank alot of water and the cruise line gave us a box lunch. We made it and enjoyed it but when we got back to the ship we were out for the night.

Having done this trip twice before, I would not recommend it for people who use wheelchairs or have difficulty walking and standing (in the heat) for long periods of time. My DH did this trip with me before needing the wheelchair...............I would never consider it now. Too much work for the one responsible for the person in the chair.

Archived