• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Copenhagen vs. Amsterdam

jojop

Looking at possibly booking a 14-day on Celebrity Eclipse around Jun/Jul 2010. Deciding between two very similar itineraries. The only difference is one goes to Copenhagen and the other goes to Amsterdam.

Southampton, England

Brugges, Belgium

Berlin, Germany

Stockholm, Sweden

Helsinki, Finland

St. Petersburg, Russia

Tallinn, Estonia

Copenhagen, Denmark OR Amsterdam, Holland

About the same time is spent in Copenhagen and in Amsterdam. Can anyone give me advice on which is the "better" port or which one would have the most to offer in terms of sights, culture, experience, etc? I know it's subjective but which city would YOU rather visit and tell me why.

Thanks!

Joe

Looking at possibly booking a 14-day on Celebrity Eclipse around Jun/Jul 2010. Deciding between two very similar itineraries. The only difference is one goes to Copenhagen and the other goes to Amsterdam.

Southampton, England

Brugges, Belgium

Berlin, Germany

Stockholm, Sweden

Helsinki, Finland

St. Petersburg, Russia

Tallinn, Estonia

About the same time is spent in Copenhagen and in Amsterdam. Can anyone give me advice on which is the "better" port or which one would have the most to offer in terms of sights, culture, experience, etc? I know it's subjective but which city would YOU rather visit and tell me why.

Thanks!

Joe

You are a true bad boy!!!

Could not offer

Southampton and Amsterdam

or

Southampton and Copenhagen

then the decision would be so easy...

but Amsterdam and Copenhagen is like a divorce of parents with twins and one must to the father and one must go to the other.

I would really use a coin to decide because I love both cities the same way: 50:50 even not 51:49...

But if this would be my very last cruise in my life:

I would go to Copenhagen.

It's the Danish people who are "hyggelig" (a Danish expression for their lifestyle where you will not find the correct word in any other language...) which makes the difference for my decision. And that's an experience you can only make in Denmark.

I think this is one of the most difficult decision someone can make...

Regards,

HeinBloed

Hein Bloed knows best and I would agree. But if it were me, we would disembark in Copenhagen, spend a few days there and take the train to Amsterdam and spend a few days there. Airfares are generally cheaper out of AMS. Its more of a hub for major carriers. Might be a wash!

Hi! We are in the very earliest of stages in planning our cruise trip. Can someone tell me how long of a train ride from Amsterdam to Copenhagen takes? I thought we would fly between the two, but surely a train ride would be more fun - depending on the length of time that it takes, of course. :)

Hi! We are in the very earliest of stages in planning our cruise trip. Can someone tell me how long of a train ride from Amsterdam to Copenhagen takes? I thought we would fly between the two, but surely a train ride would be more fun - depending on the length of time that it takes, of course. :)

between 15 and 18 hours...

min. 2 x changing in Hamburg and Osnabrück Germany.

incl. 1 ferry transfer in your train cars between Denmark and Germany...

You can do it if you like to see flat landscape with a lot of grass and cows... all over the way from Copenhagen to Amsterdam...

Or you do what I would do:

1. take the night train: no transfer

2. take SAS as they sell very cheap one-way tickets

Regards,

HeinBloed

Copenhagen to Amsterdam is really dull most of the way, with nothing to see from the window. But, as you obviously think rail is fun (and I'm with you there), I'm sure you'll get a real kick out of the sleeper train.

It goes city centre to city centre. And there's plenty of time for a nice evening meal as you steam through the night.

You've got loads of time to shop around for the best offers, too. European railways are getting as competitive as airlines.

Since I live close to Amsterdam of course I have to advise you to go there.

But I know Copenhagen is also a charming town.

If you choose to do both, take a plane to avoid the long trip.

Sorry, I was not clear on the itinerary. The two cruises actually go back to Southampton. So taking the train to visit both cities is out of the question since the port time in either of the 2 cities is only about 17 hours.

Southampton, England

Brugges, Belgium

Berlin, Germany

Stockholm, Sweden

Helsinki, Finland

St. Petersburg, Russia

Tallinn, Estonia

Copenhagen OR Amsterdam :confused::confused::confused:

Southampton, England

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Joe

Both Copenhagen and Amsterdam are great. You got to visit both cities some time or later. I will suggest that you make decision based on your future plan:

If you plan to take a Norwegian Fjord cruise or Baltic cruise in the near future that will include Copenhagen, then pick the one with Amsterdam this time.

If you plan to take a Western Europe land trip, cruise or river cruise that will include Amsterdam, then pick the one with Copenhagen this time.

No matter which one you pick, you are going to enjoy it.

Southampton, England

Brugges, Belgium

Berlin, Germany

Stockholm, Sweden

Helsinki, Finland

St. Petersburg, Russia

Tallinn, Estonia

Thanks!

Joe

Our itinerary does not include Amsterdam so we're flying in a couple of days early and doing Amsterdam then flying to Southampton for the cruise. Not an issue at all for us.

This is not to denigrate Copenhagen which is a beautiful and interesting city, but I would chose Amsterdam. Three reasons, Rembrandts, Vermeers and Van Goghs. The museums in Amsterdam are superb- there is nothing half as fabulous in Copenhagen.

This is not to denigrate Copenhagen which is a beautiful and interesting city, but I would chose Amsterdam. Three reasons, Rembrandts, Vermeers and Van Goghs. The museums in Amsterdam are superb- there is nothing half as fabulous in Copenhagen.

All of the posters make excellent and valid points. Have been to both cities and each has its super, great attractions and options. Last July, we visited Copenhagen and loved it! Really charming and so wonderful. For big time art, as noted above, Amsterdam has the advantage. Copenhagen is very clean, buttoned-down and attractive. You won't go wrong with either city and much depends on the rest of your logistics and personal interests/needs.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

• 2 weeks later...
Since I live close to Amsterdam of course I have to advise you to go there.

But I know Copenhagen is also a charming town.

If you choose to do both, take a plane to avoid the long trip.

Which Marriott would be closest to the train and/or canals for sightseeing:

Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel Kattengat 1

Amsterdam Marriott Hotel Stadhouderskade 12

Courtyard Amsterdam Airport Bosweg 15

Which Marriott would be closest to the train and/or canals for sightseeing:

Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel Kattengat 1

Amsterdam Marriott Hotel Stadhouderskade 12

Courtyard Amsterdam Airport Bosweg 15

In this case it will be the Renaissance. Very close to Centraal Station, where a.o. canalboattours are offered.

The other marriott is more close to Rijks and Van Goghmuseum.

(But nothing is far apart in Amsterdam, and public transport is excellent.)

Courtyard isnot in Amsterdam, but in Hoofddorp , which is more close to the airport. OK for an early or late flight not for sightseeing.

Then it will be the Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel. Thank you. :D

Hi Ine!

You may want to compare your hotel to the Movenpick Amsterdam as it is right next to the cruise port entrance... literally the same building. The tram stop is only 2 stations from the main station and it is easy to get everywhere from there!

As for the question Copenhagen or Amsterdam... it is like trying to decide between cutting off your left foot or your right... very difficult.. but I must say I would choose Amsterdam... the art, the food, and I find the Dutch to be quuite fun! Besides.. Copenhagen doesn't have any coffee shops:D

Hi Ine!

You may want to compare your hotel to the Movenpick Amsterdam as it is right next to the cruise port entrance... literally the same building. The tram stop is only 2 stations from the main station and it is easy to get everywhere from there!

As for the question Copenhagen or Amsterdam... it is like trying to decide between cutting off your left foot or your right... very difficult.. but I must say I would choose Amsterdam... the art, the food, and I find the Dutch to be quuite fun! Besides.. Copenhagen doesn't have any coffee shops:D

Since the poster was asking about Marriott Hotel I assume he will have some points asfrequent guest to use/spend.

Indeed Movenpick is rigt on the cruise-terminal. If you have a room on the west side you will see you ship sailing in early in the morning.

And as I tell people coffeeshops in Amsterdam sell other things then coffee....

:p No points with Marriott, they offer 50% military discount and we chose long layovers (23 hours) in Amsterdam and Paris on the way to/from Barcelona. We're planning for the Baltics when our boys get back from basic training in October. :D Thanks for all the advice.

Sorry, I was not clear on the itinerary. The two cruises actually go back to Southampton. So taking the train to visit both cities is out of the question since the port time in either of the 2 cities is only about 17 hours.

Joe

OK you made it easy for me by giving the Southhampton ends. Go to Copenhagen on the cruise return to Southhampton get to Bruxelles on the eurostar (chunnel train) then transfer to Amsterdam and spend a day or two.

I LOVE this topic!!

Really, I'm in love with both cities as well. Maybe another related topic would be comparing and contrasting the Dutch concept of 'gezellig' and the Danish concept of "hygge" -- are they the same or not quite?

In 2007 I took train from Amsterdam to Copenhagen and did not find it the least bit dull. Even with connection in Osnabruck and Hamburg, it was a 10.5 hour journey. The ferry crossing from Puttgarden (DE) to Rodby (DK) was really cool, I felt like a fascinated kid again. Not sure about the laws in 2009, but the cigarette smoke in the coaches, while we were in Germany, was very heavy and I could see being put off by that if you've forgotten what second hand smoke is like.

If the question were "in which city would I rather spend a day as a cruise call" I think it would be Amsterdam. I like to wander and (well) pub crawl and Amsterdam is good for that any time of day. My best memories of Copenhagen are from midnight to 6am.

Not sure about the laws in 2009, but the cigarette smoke in the coaches, while we were in Germany, was very heavy and I could see being put off by that if you've forgotten what second hand smoke is like.

For your next trip planning:

In all German railcars smoking is prohibited as German Railways is a State owned company and under federal law:

no smoking in public rooms (incl. railcars).

The only way to get from Denmark to Netherlands with smoking fascilities:

driving your self...

or have enough stops on your train rides.

Regards

HeinBloed

Archived