• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Wine package purchase b4 getting on ship

I read a post by a great person who did a spreadsheet outlining the cost the bottle prices on the ship vs the package. I just purchased a 5-bottle Diamond package for $157, which equals out to about $27 a bottle/or $31 including gratutity. The cheapest bottle (White Zin) you could order was $28, but all the wines I would have ordered were $38 - $45 per bottle. Plus, when you order on the ship a 15% gratutity is added. When you purchase the package, it's already included. I think it's a very good deal.

There are two other packages that would give better deals as well, depending on the kind of wine you like.

Gold $129 / 5 bottles =

Platinum $143 / 5 bottles

Is there any cost savings to purchase the wine package before you get on the ship? Thanks!
No, and there's not real any reason I know of to give them my money before I have to. Also, I've seen it where due to supply issues not all the wines listed are avaiable on a particular sailing. If it's one or two of the wines on the list that drew you to purchasing it, you definitely should wait.

Is there any cost savings to purchase the wine package before you get on the ship? Thanks!
no cost savings, but if you have a RCCL Visa and want the doubled points NOW, then you could see a plus. Last year I was about $300 from getting to my next 5K point level so I charged it ahead of time and the $50 OBC was mine for that trip. Unfortunately, it's not there for this trip now:(.

There could be an advantage if $US is not your home currency or if you have booked in a non-USD currency. You can lock in at a certain exchange or non-USD price by buying online precruise.

One confusing thing is if you buy the W&D pkg online precruise the price indicated includes the 15% gratuity and when you buy it onboard, it is advertised without the gratuity which is than added on when you purchase this package. In both case the price is the same.

I would also suggest that you review all the W&D packages as the same wines sometimes are offered on all three levels as is the case with the Danzante Italian pinot grinio and the Lindemans Semillon/Chardonnay, two of our favourites. Why play for the Diamond package when you can get the wines you like on the less expensive Gold pkg.

Archived