• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Any younger people on Holland???

jasonscott

Im 31 and im tagging along with my mom and grandma on the Westerdam, May 17th. Anyone think there will be anyone around my age or is it generally an older crowd? If not, no biggie, im sure it will be a great time.

Thanks!

JJ

Im 31 and im tagging along with my mom and grandma on the Westerdam, May 17th. Anyone think there will be anyone around my age or is it generally an older crowd? If not, no biggie, im sure it will be a great time.

Thanks!

JJ

My guess would be an older crowd on that sailing date, as the younger crowds tend to travel during Winter Vacation weeks in December and February, Spring break and Easter weeks March and April and Summer July and August.

I'll actually be on the same cruise. I'm 27 and will be traveling with my sister and brother-in-law (also late 20's), as well as my parents and grandparents. So yes, there will be at least three younger people on your cruise...4 if you count my 84-year-old grandmother who's going on 24 :)

Although peopl eoften point out that younger folks general cruise during school breaks because of school schedules, don't forget there are a bunch of folks out there in their 20s and 30s who do not have kids or do not have kids in school. Take my husband and I and all our friends. I turn 35 later this year and most of my friends have children that are still too young to worry about school breaks. Of course, a large portion of our demographic does have children in school, but as people pospone marriage a children, there are a lot more of us in our 20s and 30s who are free to cruise without worries about school schedules. :)

That said, it will likely skew older, but you should find some others your age. Any by the end of the cruise, you will recognize all of them! At least we found that the case on our honeymood cruise. 10 days in October, and probably under 3 dozen couples under 45-ish.

My husband and I will also be on this cruise...don't let the white hair and age (I'm 60 and my husband will be 59) deceive you. Like ashpaige1981 said about her grandma, we are going on 24! Come on over to the roll call for our cruise.

Sue

I should add the the most memorable port tour on our honeymoon was when our excursion eas canceled, and three other couples grabbed us on the dock and convinced us to join their taxi tour. We were 31, the next youngest was ~60. But man! They could have a good time.

...4 if you count my 84-year-old grandmother who's going on 24
That's exactly what I've found in most of the most senior folks I've met on Holland America cruises. They defy their calendar age by showing such a joy of life and are eager for adventure. Being on a ship with an older demographic can be quite inspiring.

At what age are you considered old?

Don't answer that question, it's a trick and can only get you in trouble :D

On our HAL cruises we have seen a very wide spectrum of ages, actually pretty much the same as we have seen on Princess and CCL.

We will be sailing on the Zuiderdam next week with our very well behaved children. I chose this cruise on itinerary and price. Since reading reviews regarding HAL, I so wish that I had chosen another Cruiseline! As it was advertised as a family vista ship (kids club, night club etc) I obviously wrongly presumed that it would be suitable for a family! Hopefully there will not be too many old anti-kids guests onboard!

We will be sailing on the Zuiderdam next week with our very well behaved children. I chose this cruise on itinerary and price. Since reading reviews regarding HAL, I so wish that I had chosen another Cruiseline! As it was advertised as a family vista ship (kids club, night club etc) I obviously wrongly presumed that it would be suitable for a family! Hopefully there will not be too many old anti-kids guests onboard!

It will be great, Louben! JK about the "ancient" thing:D....all your kids need will be a few other well-behaved children - quality, not quantity. Who knows but that they will meet lifelong friends? Kids are easier to please than adults, anyway, and yours are young enough to have a great time w/out expecting too much. So continue to keep a good attitude (don't let them see you worry, or they will, also) and enjoy! A sailing during spring break will probably have a lot more to do for young'uns than a port-intensive touring cruise. They are at a wonderful age. Get to know the parents of their friends; it's easier for kids to stay in contact w/ new friends if the adults are friends. :) Your children are really fortunate to be able to cruise!!

Archived