• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Fishing in ketchikan

themerle

I'm thinking about booking a fishing trip in Ketchikan for my husband. Who did you use? I saw that Orca Enterprise has a 4 hour trip for $160. Has anyone used them?

I'm open for all suggestions.

I've tried to post this several times today and have had trouble. Hope this is the only post. Sorry if it's not.

I would also like some info on fishing. The Travel Channel had a special on the other day but I missed the contact information at the end of the program. I don't know what year or month it was but the weather was perfect. For a minute, I thought they were in Florida. I SURE hope for weather like that. DH is a beginner and spends lots of time on lakes and at the Gulf, but I would LOVE to book him on one of these tours. Maybe not one where everybody's a pro. He would feel bad. Please advise

We are using Ken at Northern Light Charters. He may have a group going on your date and be willing to add your husband to the boat. But I can tell you if its 27 May, then he is booked :D

thx marie and rubytu - we will be there late June. I will contact ken to see if he will consider us. Like I said, DH is not a professional so i definitley want to know what we can expect. I've heard so many negative things about fishing but I'm willing to give Ketchikan a try

Orca Enterprises does not operate fishing charters, they are a booking agent for you. My family has gone out with Northern Lights over many years, always raving about their fishing. :)

Thanks, Budget Queen! :)

If you say Northern Lights......then Northern Lights it will be! You've always given me excellent advice. We'll give them a call if my husband makes up his mind. Our other option for Ketchikan is renting a car and he's torn between the two. We know will go back to Alaska. Where are the other areas that you know of for fishing? He's really interested in Halibut fishing.

Ketchikan is known for salmon. That time of year (3 days after us) Ken generally takes you fishing for kings, but if that isn't working, switches to bottom fishing for halibut. As a single fisherman, your husband will be paired with a group that didn't book the whole boat, and chances are, the rest of the party will be there for the salmon. If you just want halibut, I think you are better off going out of Homer. Are you doing a one-way? I know when we were going to go to Alaska 5 years ago (canceled for medical reasons), my research on halibut fishing was all about Homer. That, and I have good friend whose uncle runs a halibut boat out of Homer.

We are booked with Ken for July. Call him and talk to him directly. He is VERY personable and will be very willing to let you know how well the fishing usually goes for the time frame you are there. If your hubby is like mine, you can always try for the Halibut for a while and if it is a bust, move on to Salmon as catching fish of any type beats a long boat ride with NO fish!;)

Thanks for the info everyone! Our cruise is Whittier to Vancouver. We don't have any time this trip for land travel pre-cruise. I'll go back another year. He's still considering Northern Lights His fishing trip might not be this year after all but I do appreciate the information and I'm filing it.

• 5 weeks later...

I would also have to recommend either of the McNabb brothers, Tab McNabb or Madison McNabb...We have been out with both and caught our limit...They both have knowledge to know where to find the fish...I love halibut and I love keeping my freezer full of it...I know Madison McNabb has a spanking brand new boat for this season coming up...I have seen the pictures and can't wait to fish off that boat...They are both very personable and so much fun to be with...Wanted to bring them home with me!!..You can find them on McNabb Charters or Ketchikan Outdoors...Have fun!!:)

We had a large group last year so we ended up hiring 3 boats. We went with Explore Alaska Charters (Rick), First City Charters (Jim), and Darrell with Alaska Fishing Adventures. My wife's cousin lived in Ketchikan for awhile. He told us that these were three of the top fishing guides in Ketchikan. All 3 boats fished in the same area. We had a blast, and caught a lot of fish.

I would also have to recommend either of the McNabb brothers, Tab McNabb or Madison McNabb...We have been out with both and caught our limit...They both have knowledge to know where to find the fish...I love halibut and I love keeping my freezer full of it...I know Madison McNabb has a spanking brand new boat for this season coming up...I have seen the pictures and can't wait to fish off that boat...They are both very personable and so much fun to be with...Wanted to bring them home with me!!..You can find them on McNabb Charters or Ketchikan Outdoors...Have fun!!:)

We had a large group last year so we ended up hiring 3 boats. We went with Explore Alaska Charters (Rick), First City Charters (Jim), and Darrell with Alaska Fishing Adventures. My wife's cousin lived in Ketchikan for awhile. He told us that these were three of the top fishing guides in Ketchikan. All 3 boats fished in the same area. We had a blast, and caught a lot of fish.

Thank you both for these responses. I have started collecting information for future trips to Alaska and I'll be adding these vendors to my Ketchikan Fishing page.

• 3 months later...

We just got back from Alaska last week and used Tony with Aurora Sportfishing. He was fantastic and I would highly recommend him. There is a 4 person minimum per boat or if you have less people, it just cost a little more to make up for the cost of that 4th person.

I think most boats do that too.

Archived