• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

San Diego Question

arpie05

I will be traveling on the Elation in August. Due to the dates that Allegiant flies, it was more convenient to book the Elation than the Paradise. We will be flying out of LAX at 3pm on the day we dock from the Elation in San Diego. Any concerns about making the flight (I will have rental car to return)? I didn't think so when I schedule but thought I would get opinions now before too late :)

It all depends on the day you return. If you return on a weekend you won't have a problem. if you return on a weekday then you will have the horrible So. cal. traffic and it's 125 miles s.d. to lax. I would carry off my own luggage and leave as early as possible. hopefully you will be able to use the carpool lanes

It all depends on the day you return. If you return on a weekend you won't have a problem. if you return on a weekday then you will have the horrible So. cal. traffic and it's 125 miles s.d. to lax. I would carry off my own luggage and leave as early as possible. hopefully you will be able to use the carpool lanes

It would be a Thursday and nope - no carpool lane. We will definitely carry off our luggage.

You will have carpool lanes off and on on both Interstate 5 and 405. I just went to Newport Beach on Tuesday from San Diego and we hit no traffic at all. I have been on the Elation before and I think we were off the boat between 9-10am if even that.

I will be traveling on the Elation in August. Due to the dates that Allegiant flies, it was more convenient to book the Elation than the Paradise. We will be flying out of LAX at 3pm on the day we dock from the Elation in San Diego. Any concerns about making the flight (I will have rental car to return)? I didn't think so when I schedule but thought I would get opinions now before too late :)

Wow. Are you aware that there is an airport in San Diego? You can take airline loyalty too far.

Okay, here goes. You have to travel about 125 miles and be at the airport at least 90 minutes in advance. So we are down to 1:30pm. Figure three hour drive and we are down to 10:30am. Allow 30 minutes to rent the car and 30 minutes to return it, and we are down to 9:30am. So, you better do self disembark.

Good luck.

It is likely to take you from 1.5 to 3 hours. Plan for it to take 3. If there is more than one of you, use carpool lanes - but use them with your eyes open because sometimes there's a slowpoke. Thursday with a 10-11 am start should be fine, but on the 405 there are no guarantees! Use the toll road to Long Beach. When you leave LAX the week before with your rental car, make sure you get good instructions on what to do when you come back in case you are running late.

I think you are really REALLY REALLY pushing it.

Since you say, "we," I assume there are at least two of you and you can use the carpool lanes. That said, you have to have a perfect trip from the port in San Diego to LAX to make your plane on time - and by perfect I mean you are going 80 on the entire length of 5 and 405. My experience is that is not going to happen. Add in the factor of something going wrong with disembarkation and the potential of something going wrong on the roads and you get nothing but stress :mad:.

I would consider flying out of SAN because if worse really came to worse you could walk to that airport from the port.

I really appreciate everyone's help so far...

Question - Can you use carpool with two people? I've driven Carpool in Dc and you have to have 3 or more..

Yes, I know there is an airport in San Diego but my direct flight home to Missouri on Allegiant is LAX. (hard to pass up a $89 direct flight - helps makes the trip possible :))

I really appreciate everyone's help so far...

Question - Can you use carpool with two people? I've driven Carpool in Dc and you have to have 3 or more..

Yes, I know there is an airport in San Diego but my direct flight home to Missouri on Allegiant is LAX. (hard to pass up a $89 direct flight - helps makes the trip possible :))

Yes, you can drive in the car pool lane with two people in the car.

Archived