• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Thanks Princess.....and buy Insurance!!!

DougH

I'd like to thank Princess, they have been a huge help during the last week with my Mom and Dad. You hear many bad things but rarely the good ones.

Last Friday my mid 80's parents boarded the Grand Princess for a two week Caribbean cruise. While unpacking and shortly before sailing Mom fell in the cabin and ended up breaking her hip. After a short visit to the ship infirmiray she was immediately sent off to a local hospital. Princess took care of packing and collecting all their stuff and setting Dad up in a hotel near the hospital that had a hotel shuttle. Mom had surgery Sunday afternoon and while that went OK she has a history of reacting badly to meds and it takes her a week or so to really come out of the "fog" and know what is going on.

At this point we still have no clue what happens next and when she will be released. It looks like they will be in Florida for 3-5 weeks therapy before she may be allowed to fly back home to California. In the meantime Dad is also stuck in Ft Lauderdale with her. He has been takling to Princess and the insurance company constantly trying to work out a million details. Princess just yesterday sent a driver out to take Dad to a local branch of his bank to take care of some money issues, this almost a week after the ship sailed. Both they and the people at the Hampton Inns have been fantastic dealing with Dad stuck 3000 miles from home.

Thanks for all your help Proncess, and let this be a warning as to why I always buy travel insurance. Doesn't matter if you get it from the cruise line or independently, an unexpected incident like this could cost you far far above the minimal cost of the insurance in the first place

That's awesome that they are being so accomadating. Usually we only hear about instances like these when they are negative, so it's nice to hear a positive one. I hope your mother gets well soon and that things work out smoothly for your parents!

Doug - please let your mom and dad know that we are sending our prayers their way that she has a very quick recovery and can fly home soon! I am so glad that she is in good hands in a FLL hospital (compared to a small island hospital out of the country).

Think positive thoughts and remember that she doesn't have access to any car keys in FLL :)

So sorry to hear about your mom's accident. Hope she will be better soon and on her way home. Very happy to hear of the great response from Princess. I never cruise without insurance as one never knows what life will bring.

It's so good to hear the way that Princess is going the extra step in helping out your Mom and Dad. Thank goodness we can count on least one cruiseline to be there for us. I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom's accident and hope she has a speedy recovery so they can go on that cruise. Thanks for sharing with us your story.

So sorry to hear about your mother's accident. Hope she sure gets better soon. Your dad sure has gone through a lot. Glad Princess was there to assist and help them. Like someone previously said you always hear about the not so good things that Princess does and here is a good example of some good things. Thank goodness for insurance.

Marilyn

My prayers will be with you and your family. I am glad that Princess has helped make this situation a little easier for your parents. Thank you for sharing. I like knowing that my money is going to a company that has a heart and a desire for human compassion as well as doing what it right.

What a terrible shame, I'm sure they had so looked forward to that 2 week cruise. Your Dad must feel so lost without her. Hopefully she will heal well

and they can soon return home.

Glad they purchased the insurance, and so nice of Princess to still be helping them.

DougH,

Thoughts and prayers for your Mom, I hope she's soon on the mend and able to fly home. I'm especially sending good thoughts to your Dad - this must have been an incredibly difficult time for him and I'm happy to hear that Princess was there for him.

Thanks for sharing this. It's great to hear that assistance is being given (as it should be.) It's also a great reminder why insurance is so important. We never know what will come our way. Warmest wishes to your mom for a speedy recovery, and to your dad for strength to get through this horrible event.

Doug, I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom's fall and injury and I hope she recovers soon and can go home. Sounds like Princess "did the right thing" and has come through for them. I'm sure it's been a scarey time for all of you and in particular, your Dad.

That was a very interesting YouTube clip. It reminded me all too vividly of coming to the U.S. on the SS United States in 1966 and we hit a storm in the middle of the Atlantic in mid-July. No, it's not always calm at all! They had to tie the chairs to the tables in the dining room and very few people were eating that day. I always have to shake my head when I read about women packing 4" heels. Don't they realize they are on a moving ship?:eek: Guess they're cruise novices.

Doug,

Hope you mom is doing well and is in a great rehab program like the one were I work. I see great things happen with those of all ages with ortho problems and many other ailments. Just another great testament for insurance.

Since I booked my first cruise during hurricane season and Hurricane Katrina ruined everything, I am a firm believer in travel insurance!

My thoughts and prayers are to you and your family!

That is amazing!

Hopefully you don't take this wrong, but if it had to happen I am SO glad it happened before the ship left port. I would much rather be close to a hospital in a large U.S. city.

Thanks for the positive post.

I hope your mom came through the surgery well...also that her physical therapy gets her back up and walking. Will the insurance company medi-vac them back home after her relaese?

Did they have Princess insurance or an independent carrrier?

Just a quick update. Mom was finally released by the hospital in Ft Lauderdale and they flew back to CA on an air ambulance yesterday. About two weeks in the rehab facility then a couple more weeks of therapy from home are the current guess. Going to be interesting so see what the bills total. FYI they had insurance thu Access America, not sure how all the costs will be divided up. Without the insurance and all the help from Princess it would have really been a nightmare.

Archived