• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

McCarthy Road to Kenicott

Manzy154

I would love to hear from people who have driven the Macarthy Highway for the 50 miles of dirt between Chitina and Mcarthy. Is it as bad as they say? Can a rental car make it ok? Are flats as common as they say?

I would love to hear from people who have driven the Macarthy Highway for the 50 miles of dirt between Chitina and Mcarthy. Is it as bad as they say? Can a rental car make it ok? Are flats as common as they say?

You need to read your rental car contract since some of them won't let you drive on gravel roads. Basically what you'll be driving on is the old railroad bed. It was the train that got the copper from Kennicott to Chitna Airport. I know that the Alaska Dept. of Transportation has paved some more of it but a lot of it is slow going and gravel and no rest stops along the way.

I live here and the year we did this trip the trip to Kennicott I decided it was less wear and tear on my SUV to drive to the Chitna Airport and catch the plane from there to McCarthy.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Also, count on 20 mph as a top speed. Most rental agreements do not allow you to drive this. Ones that do, PHOTOGRAPH the car before leaving the lot. You need to be totally self sufficient, no AAA is going to bail you out anytime soon, if at all.

We went to Alaska in a truck camper. That was one of our best times. We drove and drove. We finally got to a little store. My DH had been bitten by a brown recluse 6 months before. THE DOCTORS IN ATLANTA COULD NOT SEEM TO CURE IT. IT WAS ABOUT 2 INCHES ACROSS AND STILL UZZING. A witch at the store had some sab that she said would work. The wound was healed in a week. When we got to the bridge we took down our bikes and one had a flat tire. A man a a little tiny food stand said he had a spare tube but would only trade for something. We gave him a bottle of wine. We rode up to the top and had a drink at the beautiful hotel. The whole experience was wonderful and worth the drive. PH

Archived