• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

How soon can you arrive before boarding?

mamalicious

I think you have to be on board at least 90 minutes before setting sail. I usually try to get to the dock about 10:30, get my paperwork done, and am usually on board about 11:15 or so. Walk around, get some lunch. You can't get in your cabin until 1 or 1:30.

You can get there as early as you want but won't be able to board until 11-11:30. DON"T WAIT UNTIL 4PM!!! Get on the ship as early as you can. We always get to the port the day before so we can get on the ship as soon as possible. Usually we can get to our cabin to drop off our carry on. Then go to the buffet and get lunch, explore the ship and enjoy.

We usually show up about 11 - 11:30. We usually board very quickly. The cabins often are not open till 1 p.m., so we grab a drink, go to the buffet for lunch and then go to our cabin to drop off our carry-on luggage. We then explore the ship and go up on deck to enjoy the sun and a few more drinks and start relaxing!

You have paid for that day, so enjoy it to its fullest!

With VIP boarding you generally get through faster - seperate line, but if there are a lot of people in that line and not as many in general boarding, there might not be a great time benefit...but usually it's great to have VIP boarding.

Wow, thank you for all the replies.

I am going to try to be there as early as possible, maybe 11:30am or so.

A member of my family was hoping to go to work that day....

Thanks once again for all the replies....

I thought 4 pm meant 4 pm, LOL! :cool:

for both of our Royal Caribbean cruises we were allowed to go to our cabins immediately and i think we got there pretty soon after boarding was allowed.

for NCL we were not allowed into our room until 2ish.

i would suggest getting there in the early or mid afternoon and not waiting til 4.

there is so much to enjoy on the ship and you dont want to be left behind!

I usually board any between 10:45 to 11:30.And like everyone else said they allow you to rome around grab a drink,get lunch and even go swimming ( just pack an extra bathing suit on your carryon.And if your lucky maybe get into your room early.

I have only 1 question...... how do you get VIP?????;)

Wow, thank you for all the replies.

I am going to try to be there as early as possible, maybe 11:30am or so.

A member of my family was hoping to go to work that day....

Thanks once again for all the replies....

I thought 4 pm meant 4 pm, LOL! :cool:

If anyone in your party arrive at 4 or even 3 they won't get on the ship. Homeland Security now requires the cruise line to give them a manifest of the ships checked in passengers 60 min before sailing time so the cruiseline wants you on the ship two hours and in no case less then 90 min before sail time.

Once you get onboard head to the dining room for lunch, even though the crew will try to send you to the buffet. Dining room is much nicer and quieter.

Our first cruise we didn't know this and arrived at 2 or so and waited in line forever. We got to lunch as they were shutting it down and just in time for the muster drill. We then had early dinner and it was 8 before we realized our first day was almost over. We assumed nothing would "start: till after dinner at least but stuff starts early. We were shocked to find we had missed several thing including the tour of the ship.

But we know arrive early but on RC it seems we get through security quickly but no one gets on the ship until a set time- like 11 or was it 12. We all just stood in the area where you get your cards.

Archived