Atlantis-Need Help :)

sealuber

Thank you for fast replies! I did look into the "extra" 40 dollars per person we don't qualify as the two extra people are 10 and 12. Even at over $300.00 + in total we are looking at under $100.00 per person which I feel is fair. Scubagirrl thanks for the advice.

This is a once in a lifetime trip that is being made possible by the Make-a-wish foundation. They cover a per diem cost but we are responsible for any extras. If anyone has any other ideas on how to make this trip magical for my family I am open to all ideas. We have never travelled outside the west coast. Hawaii, Canada parts of Mexico. Again, Thanks!

If this is a once in a lifetime trip and you can get a room at Comfort Suites and feel ok with the price then I would say definitely go for it :) Many people consider it a rip off...but the grounds at Atlantis are gorgeous, the pools and slides are fun and it's much cheaper to do a day there instead of flying there and staying. We have done this several times and have never felt like we got ripped off..yes everything tends to be expensive..as in all resort areas. It is a fun day if you enjoy the water rides...the beach is gorgeous too...We always go early spend the day, go back to room, shower and go back over to see a bit of the night life before returning to the ship. like you said it's less than $100 per person..some of the ship excursions are costly and you only get about a 3-4 hr trip on some of them.

No matter what you decide I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Just want to thank everyone for their replies. I guess I want to make the most out of the trip. We will probably never cruise the Bahamas again and I don't want to feel as we missed out on anything. Gotta talk to my son and confirm what he wants to do. Going to go over the links and see what he likes.

Just returned on Thursday from a cruise on Carnival's Fascination. I had reserved a room at the Comfort Suites for the 24th, the day we were scheduled to be in Nassau. They notified us on the 22nd that the cruise itinerary was going to change because of windy conditions. Now we would be in Nassau on the 23rd and Half Moon Cay on the the 24th. Since there is a 5 day cancellation period at CS, I knew we were in big trouble. I called the Comfort Suites from the ship and they were able to change our reservations because they were not booked completely for Monday. But just be careful because I understand this happens quite often.

As far as the Atlantis goes, I do wish now we had not done it. It was nice but not worth the price!

Thank you for fast replies! I did look into the "extra" 40 dollars per person we don't qualify as the two extra people are 10 and 12. Even at over $300.00 + in total we are looking at under $100.00 per person which I feel is fair. Scubagirrl thanks for the advice.

This is a once in a lifetime trip that is being made possible by the Make-a-wish foundation. They cover a per diem cost but we are responsible for any extras. If anyone has any other ideas on how to make this trip magical for my family I am open to all ideas. We have never travelled outside the west coast. Hawaii, Canada parts of Mexico. Again, Thanks!

i hope that the trip will provide memories to last your family a lifetime.

I see many people each day walk away from Atlantis at the end of the day shaking their heads in dismay. (My "end of the day" take me to the ferry dock where cruisers sit waiting for the ferry).

Day after day I hear the same complaint. The kids had a great time and the parents say 'never again". Most feel ripped off in some way.. or another. $110 for a waterpark, $65 for a beach pass (when the free beach is next door). BOO BOO BOO

scubagirl, my dear, by chance do you work for a dive company? i realize that identifying it on board can be a problem.

i hope that the trip will provide memories to last your family a lifetime.

scubagirl, my dear, by chance do you work for a dive company? i realize that identifying it on board can be a problem.

Marm, No, I don't work for a dive company.. I have in the past worked for Club Med at Paradise Island and also one of our boats used to be a "Booze Cruise to Rose Island". I don't work in the tourist industry any more.. just see it every day.

Marm, No, I don't work for a dive company.. I have in the past worked for Club Med at Paradise Island and also one of our boats used to be a "Booze Cruise to Rose Island". I don't work in the tourist industry any more.. just see it every day.

allright, thanks! would you say that bahama divers is who we will want to go with if morning dive and sharks are what interests my hubby?

we had a booze cruise from cancun to isla mujares once that was AWESOME! i certainly appreciate them. :)

Let's remember that Atlantis is a "resort"....I have never been to Atlantis, yet, but I would expect "resort" prices just as I would at Disney World or Universal Studios. I would expect to find the proverbial $12 to $15 dollar hamburger. IMHO

Just returned on Thursday from a cruise on Carnival's Fascination. I had reserved a room at the Comfort Suites for the 24th, the day we were scheduled to be in Nassau. They notified us on the 22nd that the cruise itinerary was going to change because of windy conditions. Now we would be in Nassau on the 23rd and Half Moon Cay on the the 24th. Since there is a 5 day cancellation period at CS, I knew we were in big trouble. I called the Comfort Suites from the ship and they were able to change our reservations because they were not booked completely for Monday. But just be careful because I understand this happens quite often.

As far as the Atlantis goes, I do wish now we had not done it. It was nice but not worth the price!

thank you for your candor. it is comments like these, and the ones that caution that parts of the aquaventure were closed that caused me to reflect and realize that i would be shaking my head if i went.

i grew up in colorado, proximate to water world; therefore i am used to a HUGE water park at my disposal. having grown up enjoying summer passes there for a pittance really puts things in perspective. here in texas, the kids love to go to schlitterbahn and by no means do they ask $110 pp. you can even bring in a picnic lunch. i can see that any time i want.

what i cannot see is the town of nassau. i am going to enjoy that.

Let's remember that Atlantis is a "resort"....I have never been to Atlantis, yet, but I would expect "resort" prices just as I would at Disney World or Universal Studios. I would expect to find the proverbial $12 to $15 dollar hamburger. IMHO

i have no idea what the hamburgers at disney cost individually, and i intend to keep it that way. we are stopping en route to miami for our cruise. one thing i will say about disney is that they roll your meals into a package price - with the deluxe package, you can use two of your meals for a character dining experience; upgrading your hamburger to something more of a real meal (and one which is generally celebrated for its tastiness) and ensuring exposure time with a disney character. THAT has value opposed to a $12 hamburger eaten by a pool without context, IMHO.

if atlantis introduced characters you could dance with along with your $12 hamburger, i might consider getting all over that. :p

allright, thanks! would you say that bahama divers is who we will want to go with if morning dive and sharks are what interests my hubby?

we had a booze cruise from cancun to isla mujares once that was AWESOME! i certainly appreciate them. :)

If you want sharks.. stuart cove is a better experience. Didn't even know Bahama Divers had a shark dive.. do they???

thank you for your candor. it is comments like these, and the ones that caution that parts of the aquaventure were closed that caused me to reflect and realize that i would be shaking my head if i went.

i grew up in colorado, proximate to water world; therefore i am used to a HUGE water park at my disposal. having grown up enjoying summer passes there for a pittance really puts things in perspective. here in texas, the kids love to go to schlitterbahn and by no means do they ask $110 pp. you can even bring in a picnic lunch. i can see that any time i want.

what i cannot see is the town of nassau. i am going to enjoy that.

if you are used to schlitterbahn and the like.. you will be highly disappointed in atlantis. Don't get me wrong.. you can have a good time.. but it's nowhere near as good as any of the top US spots.. who, by the way sell season passes for 1/2 the cost of a single day at Atlantis.

If you want sharks.. stuart cove is a better experience. Didn't even know Bahama Divers had a shark dive.. do they???

their lost blue hole is touted by bahama divers as being a "must do" dive. they run on friday mornings. the afternoon stuart cove shark dive conflicts with the cruise ship schedule, as their boat returns at 5pm - which is exactly the time that our ship is scheduled to leave. unless we can get a star trek transporter, he is not going to be able to make it. nor will he be able to use the company for a morning dive owing to their preference of not working with ships that dock and release at 7.

that leaves his options as bahama divers with a morning dive, a private charter (does not make sense as it is just him this trip), or the guaranteed diving through the cruise ship. i have heard good and bad things about the latter. the sharks make him smile, so the crazy poot is going to head in that direction. :p

if you are used to schlitterbahn and the like.. you will be highly disappointed in atlantis. Don't get me wrong.. you can have a good time.. but it's nowhere near as good as any of the top US spots.. who, by the way sell season passes for 1/2 the cost of a single day at Atlantis.

so true. the hype would have me believe that atlantis is the best waterpark in the world; then i read they had 4 slides and thought, "are you SERIOUS?" :) therefore, i have come to the conclusion that atlantis is not so grand as to warrant missing a day seeing how y'all live. i want sippy drinks. pictures. conch fritters maybe (i have no idea if i will like them, but i will surely try them). i want to see schools, mansions, and shacks. clearly, for the landlubbers, the most important ingredient to a great day is a knowledgeable, friendly taximan who is for hire for several hours.

hi,i'll be going to nassau in oct on the miracle. we were wondering if you can just do the lazy river and pools-we're not slide people,and if it's worth it. or maybe just the dolphins or the beach. thanks for any info you can give us.

hi,i'll be going to nassau in oct on the miracle. we were wondering if you can just do the lazy river and pools-we're not slide people,and if it's worth it. or maybe just the dolphins or the beach. thanks for any info you can give us.

The lazy river and pools are part of the Full Access Day Pass and cost $110pp. You can get a beach only pass for $60.. but this just allows you to view the Aquarium and use a roped off portion of the beach.

Dolphin prices change with the season .. but does not include the beach or pools in the price.

If you want to swim with dolphins, you're better off booking the Dolphin Encounter at Blue Lagoon .. http://www.dolphinencounters.com

If you just want a beach.. there's a public beach next to the RIU.. just a few meters up from Atlantis. Same Beach, Same water, Same Experience.. but it's free. You can rent chairs. No restrooms or other amenities.

Scubagirrl,

Never been to Atlantis yet but going next weekend.. What is the " RIU " that you are referring to?

Thanks for all your info you have given me this past week or so!!

The RIU is a small hotel next to Atlantis on the Beach. Just beyond the RIU there is a public walkway (all the locals and taxis' know where this is)..

You can enter at this point and use the same beach as the hotels.

You can't use their chairs and towels or enter their property.. but the beach is the exact same. No need to Pay $60 to use the beach at Atlantis.. it's just another rip off.

• 2 weeks later...
the guaranteed diving through the cruise ship. :p

Unless something has changed recently, the cruise ship dive is through Stuart's Cove, and it's everything you would expect from a ship's dive through a large operator.

1. A large, beautiful sea queen of a boat.

2. Lots of divers.

3. Take-a-number treatment.

4. Short air fills.

5. Short, time-limit dives.

6. Tourist-quality reef.

7. One divemaster - last in, first out.

8. Oodles of divers.

I have spoken with lots of folks that have had good dives with Stuart's Cove, but not on the large boats with big groups. Of course, YMMV.

Someday, I would really like to do their shark dive, but it's unlikely that I would ever set foot again on their large boats. I like my cattle on a plate, not on a boat.

Wendy

dive reviews

http://www.freewebs.com/wendyandkeith

pix

http:/community.webshots.com/user/wendyandkeith

Someday, I would really like to do their shark dive, but it's unlikely that I would ever set foot again on their large boats. I like my cattle on a plate, not on a boat.

Then you'd be missing something really spectacular.

SC isn't nearly as bad as you think.

Just want to thank everyone for their replies. I guess I want to make the most out of the trip. We will probably never cruise the Bahamas again and I don't want to feel as we missed out on anything. Gotta talk to my son and confirm what he wants to do. Going to go over the links and see what he likes.

Hey Sealuber, you might want to look into a day room at the Sheraton. It is 99 bucks. You get full access to the beach and pools. No slides but you do have a room from 9 am to 7 pm to go rest in. If you have a child in a wheelchair, a resting room might be a good thing. At CS's I was told you can't get into your room until possibly 3pm. Sometimes earlier but it's not for sure. Just a thought...

Try being a TA and explaining exactly this to clients..many people do not care to listen, and still come back and complain. If the client knows this ahead of time, and chooses to go they can have a great time..You hit the nail on the head when you say the "value of a vacation". I have visited most places that I recommend to my clients....if I walk away from the resort at the end of vacation and feel the value was not there, I need to tell my clients.

Ok, be the TA that you are, and suggest me what to do else then Atlantis?;)

LOLOL....weren't we just talking about this this AM on TA SG....I told ya don't be counting on the cruisers like they used to...I personally outside of the "value" issue love Atlantis....but I have NEVER in my life seen such a resort that pi$$es people off and makes them nothing short of :mad:their reputation eventually will be their demise....I am sorry but I honestly believe it's a reflection right up to the top honcho...Sol Kerzner...

It's funny...if there was ever a nemisis to Walt Disney it's got to be Sol.

I think you're spot on. I know two people (who don't know each other) who are multi-millionaires. Both came back from staying at the Atlantis with nothing about complaints regarding how expensive it is. You can build up a resort so that it attracts the affluent. But get carried away and it's nothing short of a ripoff. Rich or not rich, nobody likes being ripped off.

Archived