• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

International travel check in time

Arwenmark

Not sure if this has been addressed on here but there was a news story the other day about a women who was 1 min late for a 1 hour prior to boarding check in and was denied boarding.

It is a Homeland Security regulation that planes, Just like the Cruise ships must turn in the manifest of passengers 45 min prior to departure and so you must check in at least 1 hour most recommend 2 prior to flight time.

I mention this because of all the many, many posts that come up from people on how close they can book a flight to the arrival time of the ship in port.

Homeland Security REQUIRES an hour pre flight clearance to receive the inbound international manifest for USA bound passengers. They are even requiring it for my freight movements-one hour pre departure, I MUST clear my freight for entry into the USA.

So MAKE SURE you check in AT LEAST one hour pre flight for any flight entering the USA. It would be far better if you check in at least 2 hours pre flight. Check in means just that-check in at the counter-you still have to deal with luggage (someplaces), get through security and find your gate.

I actually thought two hours was the requirement for international flights.. is that no longer the case?

That's the recommended check in time (actually allow 3 hours from the time you arrive at the airport.) But it is MANDATORY that DHS receive the passenger manifest one hour before flight departure. So if you have not checked in and had your name placed on the manifest one hour pre departure, you will be SOL.

Is one hour pre-departure from the origin point or at the departure city of the flight entering the US? For example, if I was flying AMS-LHR-LAX would it be one hour before the AMS departure or the LHR? I never cut things that close, just wondering!

In the opposite direction my home airport is SNA. I often depart from SNA on international trips, even though it means a connection and there are nonstops out of nearby LAX. International check-in is SO much easier and faster at SNA. Inbound, LAX is the *last* place on my list for clearing ICE...almost any other airport in the nation is better!

I've seen one airline (Virgin or British Airways) that closes their check-in counter 1 hour before departure; if you're not at least in the que when they close the counter, you don't get on. :cool:

Archived