• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Glory: when to dry dock?

caribbeanboy

Sorry I'm new to cruising and cruise terms. But would anyone mind telling me what dry dock means? I've heard the term thrown around quite a few on the board... Thanks

Its when they freshen up the ship and make whatever changes. They might change to new linens for instance. In Glory's case they will add the big move screen to the pool area. For the Fantasy class ships they are adding waterworks.

Technically its when a ship is pulled out of the water (hence the name dry dock), typically barnicales (sp) are cleaned off the hull, areas painted and whatever that needs to be done that cant always be done in the water. The hull needs to be cleaned every so many years with regular ships.

Think of a drydock as a ship that needs some TLC and updates. It is a BIG renovation job to make the ship look fresh and time to do mechanical, technical repairs to the ship.

I will be getting on the Glory two weeks before the drydock, so I do hope that it runs as usual vs the prep work that tends to happen the cruise before drydock.

Archived