Princess Cays-- is it too cold to swim right now?

sunsetme

We were there in early Feb & the water then was a little cool but some people were swimming. It was still nice to sit under the shade of a tree in a bathing suit & listen to the music in the distance.

Anyone just back from a cruise who can tell me if the water temperature is bearable to swim or snorkel?

It all depends on what you consider bearable. I have yet to find the water warm enough for me at princess cays in March/April. Now in August to October, it is perfect (if you don't run into a hurricane that is). ;)

But we have found many times in March, about the only swimmers are from Canada. :)

It all depends on what you consider bearable. I have yet to find the water warm enough for me at princess cays in March/April. Now in August to October, it is perfect (if you don't run into a hurricane that is). ;)

But we have found many times in March, about the only swimmers are from Canada. :)

LOL - Funny you should say that , Toto. Just before I read your response, I was just going to respond that we were at Princess Cays in Feb 07 and DH went swimming there. There were lots of others swimming/ in the water although I could not say whether they were all Canadians or not.:D

Sure hope the weather warms up there! If the air is hot, the water feels great.

We've been able to get to PC twice. Both times were in May during the same week. The first time, it was gorgeous. The weather was hot, the water was warm and everyone was swimming.

The next time, it was windy and cool. The water was freezing cold. No one entered the ocean that I saw. Most of us hearty souls that even made it to the beach were busy picking sand out of our hamburgers and peeling ketchup packets from our legs. :cool:

On Sunday of this week, I swam in the water at Sanibel Island beach, Florida; and, the water was fine. We depart on the Emerald in eight days; and, I anticipate that the water will be tolerable at Princess Cays, since it would normally be about 3-4 degrees warmer than the water temperature at Sanibel.

We were on the Emerald in January and as we arrived at Princess Cays it rained, but then the sun blazed and it was HOT!

We snorkeled and so did many many others. The water was a little chilly, but hey, we left many feet of snow so to us it was wonderful.

We did wear a rash guard and maybe that kept us a little warmer.

I love to snorkel so it would have to be really cold for me not to get in.

We were there on March 11, and the water was too cold for me. I was there one other time in October, and it was delightful.

We were there on March 13th. I agree that the water was too cold for me, but lots of folks were swimming and snorkeling. We went in knee deep and decided that was far enough. The swimmers said once you got used to it it was fine. We took their word for it and found the bartender instead.

We were at Princess Cays on March 1st (Emerald). Great weather (lots of sunshine & it was hot), Great sea conditons as well--water was warm. At first it may not seem that way, but once you take that initial dip---its all good from there. We actually stayed in the ocean for quite some time. .

We had an awesome start to 10 beautiful sunny days!!

We have been there twice in March, and will be again in 9 days, and I'm sure we will get in the water if it's sunny at all, once you get over the initial shock of cold, it's good from there. Then get out in the sunshine and dry off. If it's overcast and cloudy, I will probably not get in the water at all.

Mike

We were there in February and spent lots of time in the water. I felt it was very comfortable. Of courst I'm from Massachusetts and often swim at beaches in Maine and Canada. I guess it's all what you are accustomed to. Coming from snow and ice the water at Princess Cays was delightful.

We were there in late December and I snorkeled and it was fine......but then again, I'm a Canadian. :D

On a side note....Just returned from Hawaii 2 weeks ago. The weather was awful. Cool, Rainy, cloudy and windy. All the locals were saying the only people that were in the water were Canadians. :eek: They were right..... I snorkeled in the rain and enjoyed it. :o

I was at Princess Cay yesterday on the Ruby and the water was a bit chilly but felt great to me and I'm from Florida. Great snorkeling with lots of fish around me. I took a banana from the buffet and broke up pieces for the fish. Was surrounded by fish and took some great pictures.

I was at Princess Cay yesterday on the Ruby and the water was a bit chilly but felt great to me and I'm from Florida. Great snorkeling with lots of fish around me. I took a banana from the buffet and broke up pieces for the fish. Was surrounded by fish and took some great pictures.

I never realized they would eat bananas- I usually give them bread.

We were there in February and the water was too chilly for me - but then again, the water is still too cold for me in FLL. It all depends on you - and I don't think it really matters where you are from. I'm from the NE, lived in New York, Boston and even did a 10 year stint in the midwest - Chicago - and I NEVER liked the cold water. I need to be able to walk in with little or no shock factor. On the other hand, I know plenty of people who think colder water is refreshing and hate when the ocean is too warm.

The water is brisk right now - not cold - and once you are in, it feels fine.

We were there in February and the water was too chilly for me - but then again, the water is still too cold for me in FLL. It all depends on you - and I don't think it really matters where you are from. I'm from the NE, lived in New York, Boston and even did a 10 year stint in the midwest - Chicago - and I NEVER liked the cold water. I need to be able to walk in with little or no shock factor. On the other hand, I know plenty of people who think colder water is refreshing and hate when the ocean is too warm.

The water is brisk right now - not cold - and once you are in, it feels fine.

I'm with you on this one. The warmer the better. Cold water absolutely takes my breathe away and I have no desire to swim if the water isn't remarkably warm. Some love the refreshing cool/cold water. But some of us, well, maybe we are more like 'hot tub' type personalities. lol

we swam there on Friday. It was a wonderful day and we swam at PC. We thought the water was fine and we stayed in for quite a while. Yes we are Canadian but all the people that were in couldn't all have been from Canada. There were lots of people swimming on Friday.

On Sunday of this week, I swam in the water at Sanibel Island beach, Florida; and, the water was fine. We depart on the Emerald in eight days; and, I anticipate that the water will be tolerable at Princess Cays, since it would normally be about 3-4 degrees warmer than the water temperature at Sanibel.

wow, I'm 45 minutes south of sanibel and the Gulf is too cold for me right now. There are people in the water right now (I'm at the beach) but it's mainly people down here for spring break. Of course I like the water temp to be around 86-88 so anything less and I'll take a pass.

Archived