• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Need help with San Juan Airfare from US

hippychic_66

Can anyone tell me what airfare deals they got from the US to San Juan, PR, what airline, and what time of the year is typically the best time to book? It looks like it should be any day now that a couple of the airlines will start to post their fares to San Juan for December of this year. The cheapest I am finding from Kansas City, MO to San Juan is around $420. We have also looked at flying from Kansas City to Florida and then from there to San Juan. I would like to get some ideas on what others have found?

Can anyone tell me what airfare deals they got from the US to San Juan, PR, what airline, and what time of the year is typically the best time to book?
Past "deals" really won't be of much use to you, other than for some historical reference. You can get info on the MCI-SJU market from THIS LINK. You can play around with the tabs and airline checkboxes.
It looks like it should be any day now that a couple of the airlines will start to post their fares to San Juan for December of this year.
Already open for booking on major carriers.
The cheapest I am finding from Kansas City, MO to San Juan is around $420. We have also looked at flying from Kansas City to Florida and then from there to San Juan. I would like to get some ideas on what others have found?
What others find may or may not be available for you. Airline ticket prices (which is different than a "fare") are dependent on two factors: 1) Published fares in the market 2) Availability in specific fare buckets on the specific dates/flights you are choosing. Another way to think of it is that the "price" depends on when you are traveling (date/time/routing), what carrier you are flying, and when you are purchasing your ticket. The last one has the most myths attached...there is no "magic date" for buying a ticket. You need the combination of availability in a low bucket, plus the applicability of a low published fare for your travel date, and having it offered at the time you make your purchase.

From the graphs above, $420 isn't much off the lowest overall fare being offered recently. If the times and dates work for you, I'd be taking it, given the data presented.

• 3 weeks later...
Can anyone tell me what airfare deals they got from the US to San Juan, PR, what airline, and what time of the year is typically the best time to book? It looks like it should be any day now that a couple of the airlines will start to post their fares to San Juan for December of this year. The cheapest I am finding from Kansas City, MO to San Juan is around $420. We have also looked at flying from Kansas City to Florida and then from there to San Juan. I would like to get some ideas on what others have found?

If you can get to FLL, Spirit and Jet Blue have some real cheap fares to SJU on Sat and Sundays.

We just booked part of this flight this week. We're leaving from MCI in January. I saw the same prices as you (and to be honest, I didn't think they were that unreasonable), but I didn't like the layovers or flying from KC to Newark in the winter. :rolleyes: So, I booked the MIA to SJ portion through American Airlines, and we'll fly to MIA the day before, spend the night, and on to SJ the day of departure. American had a good rate, it's non-stop to SJ, and the times are great. I'll wait for Southwest to open their dates, and then we'll book a nonstop from here to FLL, and shuttle to Miami. Coming back, it's all in reverse. It probably sounds more complicated than it is, but I'll do almost anything to avoid another long layover in ATL.

Good luck!

Nancy

Out of curiosity, I tried AirTran's website and they don't have their Dec fares out so I tried the 1st week in November. The cheapest webfare is $207 for each leg (so $414 RT). That doesn't seem unreasonable at all (of course I've been pricing fares just for "fun" to Fairbanks from MCI for July and those have been major $$).

We went to SJ in Dec from WDC.but had kids from Texas and AZ going too. I found $ 208.00 RT yes Round Trip from WDC to SJ at first non-stop but later rescheduled by American Airlines through Miami. There were similiar deals for other areas....suggest you check frequently and consider ...?? Yapata? I think, which is supposed to track fares. Happy Hunting,.

Blessings,

Gail

Not sure if it helps, but we ended up getting non-stop flights through Northwest Jan 2-9 from DTW to SJU for $334 a person. Sad to admit this, but it's about half of what we payed in late December last year through American with a connection in Miami. We decided on the cruise late last year, so that was a big reason for the price hike.

Archived