What Souvenir did you bring back from Samana?

PamIam

I bought several pieces too and I found them a the port tents. Most are handmade by the vendors.

thanks, is this one of the ports that you haggle over the price or are they set on their prices?

Definately haggle! Maybe more so on the paintings than the jewelry. But I know they get the rocks cheap. Don't know how much the silver is they set the jewelry in.

so what kind of paintings are the pictures of?

so what kind of paintings are the pictures of?

A littlebit of everything. Some are landscapes, with beautiful colors, sunsets, some are paintings of symbols that mean something for the culturel there,..you can see some of mine in the background of my son's picture...

PICT0006.jpg.b92a2caac05ac85d1a075fb8da522d6e.jpg

Sorry, we threw out the bags but it was DR coffee and it was in a white bag. It was just whole beans and they started out at $8.00 and sold for 2 for $10.00.

Karysa

Just back and the coffee we bought was in a white package with red and green printing -The label says

Cafe Tostado En Grano

Santo Domingo

Its delicious...I'm drinking some right now:D

Just back and the coffee we bought was in a white package with red and green printing -The label says

Cafe Tostado En Grano

Santo Domingo

Its delicious...I'm drinking some right now:D

So how much did you have to pay.

I am also anxious to get some good coffee.

I love my coffee.

• 1 month later...

We were on a ship's tour that stopped in a village, (sorry can't remember the name of the village), there was a small grocery store there, I bought about 5 bags of coffee and 3 bottles of vanilla for under $20.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Can anyone tell me how much the jewelery was? I am thinking I would like a simple pair of drop eariings and maybe a matching pendant. Also, I have heard that rum is a good buy here too. Has anyone bought any and how did it compare flavor/price to St Thomas? Do the small stores and vendors take American money?

thanks

Deb

Can anyone tell me how much the jewelery was? I am thinking I would like a simple pair of drop eariings and maybe a matching pendant. Also, I have heard that rum is a good buy here too. Has anyone bought any and how did it compare flavor/price to St Thomas? Do the small stores and vendors take American money?

thanks

Deb

• 2 years later...

Like many of the posts have discussed before, there is a lot of Souvenirs and Gift Ideas that are great to get in Samana Dominican Republic.

I am a living resident of the Town of Las Terrenas some 40 Kilometers away from the Port of Samana, on my last trip there i have notice a new Gift & Souvenir Shop that just opened as of October 1st, 2012.

It's called ROBINSON GIFT SHOP and i do believe that they have a website.

My personal suggestions for Gifts form DR would be : Original Paintings from local artists, Wood Sculptures, Hand made Gift Boxes, Larimar blue stone, Amber Jewelry, Vanilla, and Dominican Republic coffee, amongst others.

STEVE

My daughters and my wife got necklaces and earrings with larimar stones on our trip to DR last week.

DR is also famous for amber, but you should know the difference between real amber and plastic. You should also know the difference between amber mined in DR and real amber that was imported from the Baltic.

• 3 weeks later...

What should we see and so in Samana? I would like a water based adventure on a boat with snorkeling. Does anyone have advice?

Larimar: I love the gem and have many pieces, some beautiful some not very nice. Over the years I have learned to buy it in a jewelry store and not on the street because on the streets the stone and the silver setting are inferior. The stones in a reputable store are clear, not murky. The white graining within the turquoise is beautiful and the quality of the silver is far superior. Please don't think I am trying to be an expert, I am not. i just want to share the mistakes i have made. I will be on Samana in April and will be hunting for another perfect piece. Enjoy DR:p

Archived