Rome

nanatink

According to my research, it would be almost a mile on a Princess cruise as they used large buses. I chose to use http://www.driverinrome.com instead. Although expensive it was great being picked up at the pier and taken directly to the areas we wanted to see. If you can find a couple to share with you the price per person drops greatly. If you want to do a ship's excursion I recommend the "easy" tours as they have much less walking.

No matter how close the bus or coach drops you at the Vatican, the tour itself is one long, long walk if you are doing the Vatican museums and the Sistine Chapel. Even for St Peters, the coach will let you off at the far end of the square in front of the cathedral and you will need to walk the length of the plaza, up the steps and into St Peters, which in itself is huge and requires walking from the Pieta at the rear to the main altar and beyond that. The remains of St Peter are downstairs beneath the main altar and the Bernini columns.

I use a cane or a scooter, depending on my condition on any given day. Rome is not an easy place because of the cobblestones, stairs and not many cut outs. Where the bus lets you off, it's a very long walk on rough pavement. I highly suggest a private car and driver. I had one and the car got right next to the ramp leading to St Peter's. Then he also got me right to the entrance of the Vatican Museum where you eventually tour the Sistine Chapel. Rome streets are narrow and buses can't get very close to the most popular tourist sites. With a car you can get right next to Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon, the Coliseum and every other site. If you're going to tour the Sistine, I also suggest buying your tickets ahead of time, and make sure they know you have a disabled person. You can skip the line and go right in.

Guest Crazeecat5

We used www.driverinrome.com a few years ago, before my disability got worse and I started using a scooter. I did have walking problems at the time. I must say they were wonderful, with our driver getting us very close to all of the attractions. However, once inside, there is so much walking just to see everything.It was difficult then. Now, unfortunately, I couldn't do it at all unless I used my scooter.

Archived