• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Sunday 7/12 in Rome.Vatican closed. HELP!

thepriceisright

The Ruby Princess is in port on Sunday, July 12. I see the Vatican is closed on Sundays..... We plan to take the 60 minute train into Rome with our 2 teenage sons. Any recommendations on getting colesseum tickets, St. Peter's entrance, etc. would be much appreciated!

The Ruby Princess is in port on Sunday, July 12. I see the Vatican is closed on Sundays..... We plan to take the 60 minute train into Rome with our 2 teenage sons. Any recommendations on getting colesseum tickets, St. Peter's entrance, etc. would be much appreciated!

Hi from Tenn.! If you go to the Roll Call for this ship and voyage you can get some ideas. There will still be plenty to see and do from what I'm hearing. We are on at the same time (with a teenage son) and the Catacombs seem to be a big draw. Check out the roll call and ask ...this will be our first Med. cruise but for some onboard it is a repeat.

Becky

We had this same problem when we were on the Grand three years ago. Are you sure the Vatican is closed. When we were there on a Sunday only the Vatican museum was closed, which is the access point to the Sistine Chapel. However, the remainder of the Vatican was open and we were able to tour St. Peter's.

While the Vatican Musuem is one of the great museums of the world, there is plenty of other stellar places to visit. I'd recommend this small book for the top sites in Rome. It has maps, suggested walking tours, and a nice list "top places not to miss".

http://www.amazon.com/Top-Rome-EYEWITNESS-TRAVEL-GUIDE/dp/0756623987

I have never cruised to Rome, but I vacationed there for 10 days is 2003. Rome has so very many different layers that even 10 days was not enough. All depends what you want to focus on. All of the ancient sites will be open, the forum, colosseum, the pantheon.

If you have a penchant for art, you could plan ahead for tickets to the Borghese Gallery. I didn't make it, but if you look at the site, they have some astounding works there.

I did go to St. Peter's and was of course impressed, but I liked all the smaller baroque churches with their "little" gems almost more.

Just wandering around seeing the touristy sites like the Trevi fountain, the Spanish steps, and the Piazza Navona, would take all of one day. Don't forget you will be eating a lot, too :-)

Just remember it will be hot, a lot of the streets in the old sections are cobblestone, and they weren't kidding about it being built on seven hills.

You'll enjoy whatever you do; it is an amazing city.

Thanks for the great advice. With my 3 boys (2 teenagers and a husband) we won't spend a lot of time in art galleries. Definitely will do Colessium and Trevi and Spanish Steps and need more info on how to do St. Peters on a Sunday with Mass going on. THANKS AGAIN

We did a shore excursion through the ship when visiting Rome on the Grand a few years ago. The excursion included the Vatican Museum and we were concerned because it was scheduled to be closed that afternoon (when we were scheduled to visit). As it turned out, they were closed, but allowed Princess Tour Groups in. It was a great way to see it--no crowds.

Whether it's a ship's tour or a tour arranged privately through a registered tour company, sometimes they are able to get you (easier) access to sites that might be difficult otherwise.

Have you checked for information on the Vatican website?

http://www.vatican.va/phome_en.htm

IMHO, with only 1 day in Rome, you would make the best use of your time by taking a private tour. We had good maps, walked lots, and still missed so much! A private tour will help with navigating the narrow streets and you won't waste any time trying to find anything. As princessmargaret said, there is soooo much to see in Rome. While the vatican city and all that it encompasses are fantastic - you can miss the crowds there on a Sunday and still see some incredible sites in Rome.

Check out the ports of call board for Rome and you will find the names of several highly recommended guides. A private guide will help you choose the sites that your 3 boys will enjoy most. I think one place teenage boys would find interesting is the Capuchin Crypt. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capuchin_Crypt (do a search and you'll find other articles & pictures about it).

All churches, including St. Peter's, will be open on Sundays in Rome. You can attend services if you are dressed properly (no shorts, covered shoulders), or just visit if a service is not taking place. There is so much to see in Rome, including villas (Villa Borghese comes to mind), museums (try the Capitoline museum), churches (Santa Maria in Trastevere is the oldest church in Rome dating to around 600 AD), shops, and archeological sites. The Vatican museum is just one thing (usually very crowded anyway); go see something else!

There is always a line to get into St Peter. The line moves quickly. Just make sure the men wear long pants and ladies wear tops with sleeves. No shorts allowed. It's worth the trip. Any where you go in Rome is awesome. :) Enjoy

Rome was not built in a day and you cannot see it in a day. At best, you can do two attractions well since you have to travel from port to Rome and back again.

My suggestion:

a) See The Roman Coliseum including an audio tour. Google "Rome coliseum tickets" and you will see both helpful hints for avoiding long lines to get tickets when there or places to order tickets in advance with a service charge.

b) Then go to the Vatican. As others have pointed out, the museum will be closed, but the square and St.Peters will be open (no charge for these).

Don't waste time on a formal lunch. Just have some great Italian gelato, available everywhere in Rome.

We were in Rome on a Sunday last year on our cruise; we took the ship's walking tour of Rome and even though it was a Sunday, by the time we got to St. Peter's, it was afternoon and mass was long over. Just plan on being there in the afternoon and you will avoid the crowds attending mass. Because we were on a tour, we did not have to wait very long to get into St. Peters. As other have said, there is much more to Rome than the Vatican - wear comfortable shoes, drink lots of water and just enjoy your day.

I should just add that you have to go through a screening before entering St Peter's, similar to an airport screening. If you have anything with you like a pocket knife, you won't be allowed in unless you discard it. There was no way to check it with anyone. I mention this because we were there last year, and DH always carries a small pocket knife that has a lot of sentimental value (he puts it in checked luggage for his flights.) He wasn't willing to throw it away, so he had to wait outside. Luckily, we have been to the Vatican before, but it was still disappointing.

When I went with my son and daugher (college age) we hired a driver for the day. I would highly recommend it since you can cover a lot of stops based on your interests. Here is a linkt to their website:

http://www.driverinrome.com/

You can also get lots of other options if you do a google search or as mentioned visit the Ports section.

The Vatican Museum is huge and we made the mistake of going there first when we first visited Rome on a cruise. It took us hours to walk round and we had no time for anything else.

Queues at St Peters last year but, as we were with a party, we went straight to the front. Make sure you have something over your shoulders (women). One woman with us entered St Peters wearing a light jacket and, as it was stifling hot inside, took it off and tied it round her waist - wrong move, she was told off almost immediately by one of the members of staff. Queues at Colliseum - took us ages to get in and it was rammed with people making it very difficult to see anything.

Don't know what to suggest, other than to visit Rome in the off-season:(

I have never cruised to Rome, but I vacationed there for 10 days is 2003. Rome has so very many different layers that even 10 days was not enough. All depends what you want to focus on. All of the ancient sites will be open, the forum, colosseum, the pantheon.

If you have a penchant for art, you could plan ahead for tickets to the Borghese Gallery. I didn't make it, but if you look at the site, they have some astounding works there.

I did go to St. Peter's and was of course impressed, but I liked all the smaller baroque churches with their "little" gems almost more.

Just wandering around seeing the touristy sites like the Trevi fountain, the Spanish steps, and the Piazza Navona, would take all of one day. Don't forget you will be eating a lot, too :-)

Just remember it will be hot, a lot of the streets in the old sections are cobblestone, and they weren't kidding about it being built on seven hills.

You'll enjoy whatever you do; it is an amazing city.

I totally agree. Having been to Rome twice, I wouldn't waste a lot of time at one place. At St. Peters, walk through the square into the church, gaze at the Bernini altar, view the dome, see the Pieta, maybe Pope Pius' Coffin, and exit. Princessmargaret has some great suggestions for other places to see.

Unfortunately, with only one day in Rome, you will see only a little bit which IMHO, is a shame as there is so much to see and do. Also, without a Guide or someone to help you, you will have to wait on very long lines to get tickets to enter anything. Returning to the ship, you should allow at least 3 hours to get back to the ship on time... probably longer.

Among my favorite places to see in Rome are:

-- Colosseum

-- Roman Forum

-- Pantheon

-- Fountain of Trevi

-- Catacombs

-- Appian Way

-- Spanish Steps

I've been to the Vatican but have not gone there most of the times I've been to Rome since it takes up a huge amount of time in the day to get there, wait on line and go through it. It can easily take half a day and that's with a Guide; without one, you could be waiting in line for 2 - 3 hours just to get in. A Guide will know the best time to get in that day and be able to get you towards the front of the line, not only at the Vatican but at the Colosseum as well. Even though I'm Catholic and think the Vatican is wondrous, you'd be short-changing yourself on all there is to do and see in Rome. Remember, the Vatican isn't anywhere near any of the other sights you will probably want to see so it'll cost you cab ride and time to get there and back.

I've used Driver In Rome several times and think they're great. You can have others from your roll call join you to share the cost. You're met right at the gangway and you'll see so much more than if you try to do it on your own. http://www.driverinrome.com/civitavecchia-shore-excursions-rome-italy.html

Thanks for the great advice. With my 3 boys (2 teenagers and a husband) we won't spend a lot of time in art galleries. Definitely will do Colessium and Trevi and Spanish Steps and need more info on how to do St. Peters on a Sunday with Mass going on. THANKS AGAIN

I don't know what time the Pope's mass will be held, but it would only last an hour or so. Here's a website that should help you:

www.stpetersbasilica.org

Rome is a wonderful city, but as noted above, it will be hot when you're there. Don't forget gelato! :p

Your husband and sons will probably find the Colosseum and Forum much more interesting than the Vatican (mine did, anyway.....).

FYI, you can now purchase a timed ticket in advance for the Colosseum/Forum/Palatine Hill to avoid the lines. The same is also true for the Vatican museum (not for the original poster, but for others who may be headed there and want to do it on your own vs. with a tour).

Both of these services have only been offered in the last year, and they make it much easier to do Rome on your own. Visit the Mediterranean board under the Port of Call section and do a search for more info.

• 1 month later...

Another suggestion:

the Scavi tour....It goes down underneath St. Peter's Basilica and is kind of layers and layers of family tombs and winds up at what the archeologists are pretty sure is the tomb of Peter. Make advance reservations on the website.

But, the coluseum is a good starting place for a walk though the Roman Forum and comes out on the top of Capitoline Hill. Nice afternoon, especially if you are carrying one of those little "overlay" books that show you what you are looking at and how it originally looked.

And - the coluseum now has an elevator. Yea. Look for the "ascensor" signs.

They really make no exceptions for Americans in shorts etc. My daughter had been

to St Peter's in the past and warned her husband about shorts. He said it was too hot

for slacks, and things change. He wound up having to buy paper pants around the

corner from the square, wearing them and then donating them to another hapless

tourist.

Archived