Driving in Corfu

LostFan#1

Necessary or not, DH now has the internat'l driver's permit for our rental car in Olympia. Why not get "extra mileage," so to speak out of it? Could I get some input from you about driving in Corfu? We would only be interested in driving from the port to Paleokastritsa Beach and back to Old Corfu Town.

1. Is it hilly, curvy, treacherous to go across the island to the beach? I read somewhere about hairpin turns.

2. Is parking available at Paleo. Beach?

Thanks in advance for your responses,

Debbie

The drive to Paleokastritsa is not too bad and there is parking. If you go that far, you mightas well go to the Monastery. There is one oddity when driving to Paleokastritsa and Achillion Palace, depending on your route. One stretch is a narrow, winding one lane road. So there is a small traffic signal at the top and bottom to signal when it is safe to drive. Locals know when to stop. Unknowing tourists don't see the small signal and just keep driving until they have to back down the hill.

I took a blurry photo from inside our taxi of what the traffic signal looks like. If you like, I can e-mail you a copy and you can get an idea of what to look out for.

I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of it myself...since we're also renting a car in May. My e-mail is bz6sgy2@aol.com

Thanks!

I took a blurry photo from inside our taxi of what the traffic signal looks like. If you like, I can e-mail you a copy and you can get an idea of what to look out for.

If it isn't too much trouble, we would like a picture of the signal also. Thank you. msarndt@gmail.com

We rented a car at the port and drove on the island for the day. We stopped at a couple of beaches and had a great time. I went through one small village and the road was only a little wider than the car. It was a great day.

Dnhill

• 3 weeks later...

Archived