• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Do you use snorkel vests? Newbie

kms118

My husband and I are planning on doing some snorkeling. I think I would feel a little safer if I wore a snorkel vest. Should I buy one and take it with me? I can't imagine using a rental one that has been inflated by other people.

Thanks for answering my silly questions!:confused:

I have my own flotation vest, and I paid about $40 for it. I've had it 10 years now, so it is very durable, and well worth the investment. It folds very flat for packing, so takes up very little space. It has a strap that goes around the body and one that also comes up between my legs, so that there is no chance of the vest coming loose. It also has a nice, soft backing on it, which some of the more cheaply made vests do not. This is important for comfort in the water, as the vest does float a bit in the water somewhat and you don't want that rubbing you raw. I got mine at a dive shop in our area, and we live in the Midwest, not in a coastal area, so I would think you could find one in your area, or you could order one online. Here's a sampling from Bizrate to give you an idea of prices: http://www.bizrate.com/scubadiving_snorkelingequipment/products__keyword--snorkeling+vests.html

Unless the sea is really calm or the water is shallow, I usually wear mine. I bought it at a dive shop 15 years ago, but I can't remember how much I spent on it. They're not that expensive, though.

Archived