• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Flying in to FLL day of cruise?

I know it's best to come in the day before, but that isn't an option due to previous commitments. I don't want to book airfare through Carnival because I can save $300 and I'll have 2 in college next year and all that that entails (tuition, car, laptop, etc.).:eek: Anyhow I would be flying nonstop from DFW to FLL on the first flight arriving at 12 something. There isn't another flight arriving in time to make the flight. My question, would you go for it? Otherwise, I'll have to do another type of vacation. Thanks for your input!

Sounds pretty safe to me. And we've done that before too! Fly in the day of...but typically...we do come in the day before. Anyhow...there are lots of flight options between DFW and FLL....worse comes to worse...you just end up taking whatever you can get....to get you there!

You don't say when this would be, so that might be a factor. Weather issues could cause problems if your cruise is during winter months or even some spring and fall months. If your flight was canceled due to weather....doesn't sound like you would have other choices, unless on a different airline.

Arriving at noon would be ok as long as you actually do arrive there at that time. Delays, etc. can always happen. It takes about 30 minutes to get from FLL to the Port of Miami.

If you do decide to try it, I would definitely get some travel insurance in case you don't make it. Good luck! :)

• Administrators
You don't say when this would be, so that might be a factor. Weather issues could cause problems if your cruise is during winter months or even some spring and fall months. If your flight was canceled due to weather....doesn't sound like you would have other choices, unless on a different airline.

Arriving at noon would be ok as long as you actually do arrive there at that time. Delays, etc. can always happen. It takes about 30 minutes to get from FLL to the Port of Miami.

If you do decide to try it, I would definitely get some travel insurance in case you don't make it. Good luck! :)

And read the terms of the travel insurance -- frequently flight delays of less than six hours aren't covered (though a delay of 2-4 hours would result in the OP missing the sailing).

My one and only time flying the same day of the cruise was into FLL, from El Paso TX, via IAH. Flying there was no problem, got there on time, just very nervous about anything going wrong. FLL is a great aiport to get through quickly. However, coming home our flight did get sent back to LA because of a thunderstorm, missed our flight out of IAH and had to spend the night in Houston. Odds are you will be oK, but stuff happens!!

I did it last cruise and will NEVER fly on the same day again. My BF and I were booked on a Delta flight out of Birmingham and the plane broke down. By the time they had officially declared the flight "cancelled", it was too late to find another airline with an empty seat that could get us there in time to board since everything from here has to go through Atlanta first. We wound up renting a car, one way to Atlanta, nearly missing that flight and very nearly missing the Port Authority closing the gates. Save yourself the misery of that and wait until a better time to sail.

• Administrators
Hi!

My husband and I have always flown in the "day of" the cruise and never had any problems. :)

Sharon

aka Dr Cruz

Welcome to CC and gratz on your prior good luck! I think many (if not most) of us who have cruised for a long time are of the view that it only takes ONE instance of booking a "same day" flight with weather, delays, stress, alternative flights, panic, etc. to make that whole "day ahead" thing look like the best choice. Mine was prior to 9/11. We literally RAN through the Port Canaveral embarkation area (abandoned) with all our bags, flashed our passports at a security point, threw ourselves across the last gangway attached to shore, and collapsed panting in the crew area while they took our luggage, patted us on the head, and sent us to the purser's desk to complete check-in. I vowed right then "never again." Post 9/11 that couldn't ever happen now -- we'd have missed the ship.

My "never again same day" was confirmed for me the summer before last when a nonstop flight (not a cruise situation) from ATL to RNO was delayed SIX HOURS waiting for a flight crew due to thunderstorms. We had equipment (plane) and we had cockpit crew -- but we needed flight attendants and the scheduled ones timed out due to the weather. A six hour delay on a "same day" schedule would mean a missed sailing, and tons of stress, expense, trying to catch up to the ship.

We are day before the cruise people, period -- and more than one day if the embarkation port is international. I'd rather be safe than sorry -- I detest stress; I vacation to get away from it, and refuse to let my vacation become a source of it. Other people have a different evaluation of the risk/benefit.

My family just got back from doing the same. If you are cruising out of FL, you could walk to the terminal! If you are cruising out of Miami, it's worth the bucks to take the Carnival transfers.

We rented a car at FLL and spent the night with relatives with the plan on dumping the car downtown Miami. Not realizing a bike-a-thon and a basketball game added 2 hours to this well thought out plan. The taxi driver did a great job but the folks at the Carnival terminal were like family. Luggage was picked up and we were sipping the drink of the day within 30 minutes of getting out of the cab.

Go for it!

MP

Thanks, guys! I'm still debating. It would be in late July, so no winter weather, but you never know about thunderstorms or mechanical issues! I would definitely go to insuremytrip.com and get insurance. That is our only opportunity for a vacation together this summer due to weddings, etc. I'm a teacher so if not then, it won't happen til next year. :( My other option is to go to an AI. Thanks for all the input!

And read the terms of the travel insurance -- frequently flight delays of less than six hours aren't covered (though a delay of 2-4 hours would result in the OP missing the sailing).

Good advice - if your travel insurance requires 6 or even 12 hours delay for coverage and the flight is delayed say 4 hours and you miss the ship - they might not pay to get you to the first port of call. You would also need a passport to fly to the next port if you don't already have one.

I wouldn't risk it. I had a close call a few years ago even booked the night before the cruise - rain caused many flight delays, we couldn't make our connection, and all flights the rest of the night and the next morning were booked solid. They finally found us a flight the next morning which was also delayed and we nearly missed that connection. We made our cruise but the vacation started with a LOT of stress.

I've also been delayed (not for a cruise) in October in Charlotte due to an early season snowstorm in New Hampshire causing the plane to not get into Charlotte, and delayed coming home from last summer's cruise in Atlanta - first 3 hours for mechanical problems and then we sat on the tarmac another 2 hours due to thunderstorms. The airlines are getting worse with fewer flights and I personally wouldn't want to risk it.

Not sure if you are sailing from FLL or Miami but factor at least an hour if it's Miami. It's only 19 miles but traffic can be a bear or at a standstill even on weekends.

Of all the flights I've taken in the last 3 years or so, I seem to run about 50/50 for on-time vs. major delays.

Sounds pretty safe to me. And we've done that before too! Fly in the day of...but typically...we do come in the day before. Anyhow...there are lots of flight options between DFW and FLL....worse comes to worse...you just end up taking whatever you can get....to get you there!

Having almost missed a Celebrity cruise when we were flying in the day before but connecting through DFW, it is far from safe. DFW will shut down on a whim and it doesn't matter how many flights are scheduled, if they have shut the airport down nothing gets out.

On my first cruise back in Dec 04 out of LA I met someone who had a one hour flight from reno to LAX, there flight was to leave Reno at 9:30 A.M. the g ended up getting to the ship with 15 minutes to spare because of fog issues.

There is no way i would fly across the country on the same day of a cruise.

Can someone please let me know what the cost and availability of buses are that run between FLL and the Port of Miami? We don't want to use the Carnival transfers.

When I left Port Everglades last week I saw that they have buses that were headed to FLL and MIA but I didn't have the chance to find out if that is also the case at the Port of Miami and I can't seem to find it on-line.

Thanks!

Depending when you travel to Fll you might have weather related problems -in winter snow -in summer storms and lightning .I have missed a ship due to mechanical problems on US AIR .BIG BIG hassle to catch up to ship US air the PITS to help!!!!Delays due to weather even in summer 'The whole east coast had thunder storms

Remember out of FLL ships leave at 4pm You must be on board by 2pm

The window is not that big

Save yourself heartache try to leave the day before!!!even a red eye

I now ALWAYS arrive the day before esp leaving from Florida.My 24 hours at the airport trying to find a flight out of Montreal during the holidays was enough stress to last me a lifetime!!!!

Good luck ,,never cut it too close ...you know Murphy's Law

Michele

There is absolutely no way I would fly in the day before, especially if not arriving in Florida until 12:00 noon. There are just too many things, especially weather and mechanical issues, that can cause a huge delay or worse - a cancellation. I just flew from Florida back to Michigan on the 15th and the Atlanta plane was delayed an hour because of thunderstorms. And once (not this same flight, it was about a year ago), we were actually on the plane ready to come home when a small oil leak was discovered. It took them some time to determine if the plane was safe to fly or not, then when it was grounded it took more than an hour to get everyone off the plane and onto a replacement plane. Nope, flying in the same day as the cruise leaves is never an option for us. We always fly in at least the day before, if not two days.

Can someone please let me know what the cost and availability of buses are that run between FLL and the Port of Miami? We don't want to use the Carnival transfers.

When I left Port Everglades last week I saw that they have buses that were headed to FLL and MIA but I didn't have the chance to find out if that is also the case at the Port of Miami and I can't seem to find it on-line.

Thanks!

Last May we used the "Go Shuttle" company to get from FLL to the port. They're parked right outside baggage claim. (We had a group of 11, and were packed up in the van ready to go within 10 minutes of walking outside after getting our luggage.) No reservations were required, and I believe they have vehicles to handle a few or many passengers. We paid $18 per person plus tip.

I have to disagree with the poster who said the Carnival transfers are the way to go. Much better to do as Habby said and take the "Go Shuttle", or even a private car or taxi, depending on how many are in your party.

We hired a private car through John's Car Service to take us from FLL to our hotel right by the Port of Miami for $80. Since there were 4 of us, that wasn't much more than the Go Shuttle, and we didn't have to make any other stops for other passengers. A taxi was about the same amount of money at the time, which was a year ago. If there are less people in your party, then the Go Shuttle would be cheaper.

With Carnival transfers, you have to wait until the bus fills up before they will leave. If you happen to be one of the first ones on the bus, you can be sitting there for over an hour. Also, when going from cruise terminal to airport after the cruise, you have to wait while the Carnival bus unloads passengers and luggage at each airline.

Great. Thanks for the information! There will be about 8 of us (some are traveling at different times). We are getting in early enough that day that we should be able to figure out which of the options works out best!

Cindy

We have a 9 am flight to FL out of NO on 5 -8.

Are only 1 hr from no but we are going down the night b4 and staying at an airport hotel.

reason? the hotel will let me leave my car there for 2 weeks at no charge and the NO airport charges $20 a day for park and fly .

8 nights is $160 to park and the room only cost $159.

We would have to get up around 4 am to get car packed and get to air port for 8 am.

Will spend night in fl and get on the ship when we feel like it.

I am having one of the vacations where i don't mind spending a lil extra to not have to hurry or worry about anything but who is bringing me my next coconut monkey head.

but we booked the cruise and flight arriving at 12:29. DH really wanted to do this. I am out of town until the night before and won't be in in time to catch an evening flight. We checked. Last flight is at 8:20 and I won't be home much before that. We live a good hour from DFW airport. We checked all airlines - no redeyes. Anywho, most insurance WON'T cover under a 6 hour delay, so we will just pray that all goes as scheduled! Thanks for your help. Hopefully, it will be typical Dallas weather, dry and hot that day, and the plane will be fine and on time.:eek:

Arrive: 12:29 (If all goes well)

Taxi to gate and unload pax: 15 min

Wait for luggage:20 min (on a really good day)

Catch a transfer to the ship: 25 min

Not sure when you're cruising, but storms whether it be rain or snow, always offer a chance of the domino effect. Back in the day, airlines really worked hard to get you where you were going if there were any delays. Nowadays, NO WAY.

Also, please take into consideration the Government Regs require the ships manifest 60 min prior to sailing.

From CCL FAQ's:Government regulations for U.S. departure ports require that a final departure manifest is submitted 60 minutes prior to departure. Guests must provide us with the required information prior to embarkation. The easiest and most convenient way is to complete our FunPass on line registration process (www.carnival.com/mycruise) at least (3) three days prior to departure. Guests that do not complete the registration process prior to embarkation are required to check-in at least 90 minutes prior to the published sailing time.

I hope all works well for you.

I know it's best to come in the day before, but that isn't an option due to previous commitments. I don't want to book airfare through Carnival because I can save $300 and I'll have 2 in college next year and all that that entails (tuition, car, laptop, etc.).:eek: Anyhow I would be flying nonstop from DFW to FLL on the first flight arriving at 12 something. There isn't another flight arriving in time to make the flight. My question, would you go for it? Otherwise, I'll have to do another type of vacation. Thanks for your input!
Check the on time performance of the flight in question and quote / buy insurance. Then decide if the risk vs. reward it worth it to you.

Archived