• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Docking at King's Wharf

Cruisin Around

Hi Everyone,

I have a really odd question- and it's not even for me! A group of us are going to Bermuda in October on Granduer of the Seas, leaving from Baltimore. My brother would like to get a balcony room (give me an inside for half price! Ha!) but said that he wants to make sure that he gets a room facing the ocean when we are docked, instead of facing Bermuda. I actually called RC and they said they can never know which way they are going to dock, which seemed a little odd, I don't know why they'd change, but I'm sure it can happen. Don't want to doubt anyone. I was just wondering if anyone knows how it docked when you went to Bermuda from Baltimore on Granduer.

Also- has anyone been able to get a table to accommodate 13 people plus a high chair? RC also told me that they couldn't tell me that, but I could check at guest relations when we got onto the ship.

Thanks!

It really depends on the pilot and the captain at the time, but I have seen RCCL ships in BDA docked with the bow facing out to sea, which would put the portside cabins along the dock. I don't think there is any way to be certain in advance though. In Nassau a few weeks ago we had 4 ships in port, 3 were "backed in" , but the 4th was nose-in. You just never know!

Hi Everyone,

I have a really odd question- and it's not even for me! A group of us are going to Bermuda in October on Granduer of the Seas, leaving from Baltimore. My brother would like to get a balcony room (give me an inside for half price! Ha!) but said that he wants to make sure that he gets a room facing the ocean when we are docked, instead of facing Bermuda. I actually called RC and they said they can never know which way they are going to dock, which seemed a little odd, I don't know why they'd change, but I'm sure it can happen. Don't want to doubt anyone. I was just wondering if anyone knows how it docked when you went to Bermuda from Baltimore on Granduer.

Also- has anyone been able to get a table to accommodate 13 people plus a high chair? RC also told me that they couldn't tell me that, but I could check at guest relations when we got onto the ship.

Thanks!

It varies from week to week. There are two reasons weather and life boat drills are conducted from either side so they turn the ship to the side they want to use for the lifeboat drills(this is for the crew they actually launch one life boat as a drill and different crews are assigned port and starboard snd they can't do this if that side of the ship is tied up to the pier). as to weather the ship can get out of port faster when its pointing to the sea. So if they expect bad weather they want to point with the bow pointing out.

I do have a suggestion since you have a large group and I am sure you will get at least two balcony cabins why not get one on both sides and than have then person who winds up on the "wrong" side change to the other with the other people. You can do that on the ship...if that is absolutely critical.

• 3 weeks later...

Take a look at this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=961930 Great photo of the buildings at the dockyard!!

When you are at the dock, you aren't in the "city".....and someone said it's not an industrial port at Dockyard. Your balcony will likely be ABOVE roofs of anything on land, so you should have a good view either side!

Also at the dockyard you are on the far NW corner of Bermuda -- not at all close to cities of Hamilton and St. George.

There's a link to a map I found on another thread: "You can see how it's laid out relative to the dock if you take a look at my Cruise Map of Dockyard and Kings Wharf."

The only thing within walking distance is the Clock Tower building with gift shops, small stores selling local handicrafts & a very small # of restaurants (as you can see from the link below) It recommended the Frog & Onion Pub for its British fares - probably priced accordingly since it's for visiting cruisers. The local Bermuda fish chowder is great so I would check that out there.

http://www.bermudaportreviews.com/KingsWharf.htm

For more choices, you will need to take a scenic 1 hour bus ride or faster 20 minutes fast ferry into town - Hamilton along the waterfront (see one of the picture as linked below) where the smaller cruise ships & ferry terminal (along "Front Street") is located for a wider range of restaurants & meals. Being Bermuda, expect to pay a bit more as everything is imported into the island, flown or shipped except local seafood & greens. A bag of potatoe chips was $1.50 at a local grocery store (0.79 or less here in the States)

http://www.cruisereviews.com/port/13/Hamilton-Bermuda/

The only thing within walking distance is the Clock Tower building with gift shops, small stores selling local handicrafts & a very small # of restaurants (as you can see from the link below) It recommended the Frog & Onion Pub for its British fares - probably priced accordingly since it's for visiting cruisers. The local Bermuda fish chowder is great so I would check that out there.

For more choices, you will need to take a scenic 1 hour bus ride or faster 20 minutes fast ferry into town - Hamilton along the waterfront (see one of the picture as linked below) where the smaller cruise ships & ferry terminal (along "Front Street") is located for a wider range of restaurants & meals. Being Bermuda, expect to pay a bit more as everything is imported into the island, flown or shipped except local seafood & greens. A bag of potatoe chips was $1.50 at a local grocery store (0.79 or less here in the States)

Thanks, I think we might just try the Frog and Onion Pub and get some fish chowder.

I have one other question. Do you know what the dress code is like for the Frog & Onion Pub? I know a lot of the restaurants require jackets for the men. Thanks.

We'll be docking at King's Wharf. Does anyone know if there will be private drivers lurking near the dock who would give us an island tour? There are potentially six of us so we'd need a van. I'd rather book with a smaller group than do one of the cattle calls with the cruise line.

We'll be docking at King's Wharf. Does anyone know if there will be private drivers lurking near the dock who would give us an island tour? There are potentially six of us so we'd need a van. I'd rather book with a smaller group than do one of the cattle calls with the cruise line.

The larger cabs are vans and can hold 6. I think the set rate is $49.50 per hour for a cab tour.....I posted the official rates before. I have never seen private cars lurking on the island except for smaller ones....you can try to do a search and see if there are larger cars/vans available....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=18634399#post18634399

When we traveled on GOS in 2006, we were a group of 19. They split us into two tables, one of 11 and one of 8. The table for 11 was slightly larger than the table for 8, but it was still a bit tight - I think the table would have normally held 10 comfortably. So 13 plus a highchair would be horrible:eek: maybe request two tables for 8 side by side so that there is plenty of room for the highchair:)

As previously posted, there is no guarantee which way they will dock, however, since there is a lot of security equipment needed for boarding, they do tend to prefer to stick to one side, and not move it around unless they have to. Obviously weather and safety considerations would be the first concern.

I think Grandeur tends to dock on the port side in Bermuda. Here's a shot from when I sailed on Grandeur to Bermuda, showing that.

Note the background in that picture and the next few after that in the album. The way the dock is situated, there isn't really an open ocean view from either side. You can see the rest of the island to the eastern side, and Dockyard to the west.

My cruise map of the Kings Wharf area will show you how it's all situated. (That is the link that Cruisin Kay D was trying to copy a few posts earlier.) If you zoom "out" a couple clicks, you can see that the majority of the island is situated to the east of Dockyard. (Google map data for Bermuda is still very poor once you zoom "out" a certain amount, unfortunately to see any detail, you have to drag the map around the island a little at a time.)

Hope that helps!

Theron

Archived