• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Panama Canal 13 day

NW Pacific

Does anyone have insight to a 13 or 14 day Cruise compared to a 7. We are booked for our first cruise over 7 days (13 on a P/C departing LA arriving in Miami) the clothes packing will not be an issue. Just wondering others opinion on the difference and pacing youself so to speak concerning eating especially and onboard activites, etc. So looking forward to this, any tips will be appreciated. If anyone has done a Panama Canal would like to hear about your highlights of the cruise, thanks.

We did a complete transit of the canal on another cruise line (Acapulco to San Juan). This was a spectacular cruise! First, I suggest that you find out at what time you will be approaching the locks (this should be announced; if not- ask!). Make sure you're up on deck, as far forward as possible, for this first approach (even if this is at night or early AM). Don't forget the camera!

Second, at some time during one of the lock transits, go to the promenade deck to get another perspective of the size, etc of the lock.

My final thought- during our cruise, we had a guest lecturer give presentations on the locks (such as on the history, the engineerng, the political situation, etc). If these are offered, go to all of them. I found that what little I learned about the Panama Canal in history class (many, many decades ago!), was completely inadequate to fully appreciate this engineering marvel.

Have a wonderful cruise!

We did the 19 day Panama. It was great. You will have plenty to do. We did NOT finish more than one book even though we tried, or at least planned to.

Only regret was not doing some reading about the Canal in advance.

Yes, get out on deck and see the happenings from different angles. and from your cabin if in a balcony. they try to have a photographer ashore taking pictures of people waving from balconies.

I was on a 16 day Panama Canal in October, the transit was excellent and definately agree with the above, be out on deck EARLY and often. :) As for the ports, most were "lacking", in my opinion. I have never cared for Mexico, Columbia was OK, Costa Rica was the best. I was pretty bored on the sea days- which were too many. :) But, I picked up this cruise about 10 days ahead for $320+ taxes so can't complain. I just like touring and sailing other areas better.

We, too, were on the 19 day on the Pearl in the fall. Loved the transit, loved the 19 days.

My highlight of the transit I think, was the constant changing of scenery and activities going on around the ship during the transit. Watching the tug boats, watching the line handlers and pilots coming on board, learning about the details of the canal were all wonderful and memorable to us. We lucked out and followed a large container ship and was just behind it, and beside it for most of the locks, so was able to watch the workings of the lock from both perspectives.

As far as the longer cruise compared to a 7 day, we found that the specialty restaurants really started using 2 for 1's about 7 days into it?? In any case, we took full advantage of those 2 for 1's and really enjoyed the meals. The entertainment did not get stale like I thought that it would, they always brought on new entertainment so it was always fresh and new. The main restaurants did start to repeat menus after the first week, but with the amount of meals we did in the specialty restaurants, not a problem from our point of view.

I really needed the holiday desparately, so did not find the 19 days too long by any stretch of the imagination, and added to that, the sheer number of ports on the trip, made it seem to go by very quickly. I do see how others might find a trip longer than 7 days is too much, but it will be an individual call on that.

In any case, my advise is to enjoy, relax and take home fantastic memories. :)

As mentioned above, do some reading about the Canal. Very interesting. And if they do what has been done on every cruise I have taken thru the Canal, there will be a lecture about the Canal which should not be missed. It will highlight things to be on the lookout for when you do the actual transit. Also plan on doing something in Costa Rica as I assume you will be making a stop there. Beautiful country.

I have ordered Cruising the Panama Canal from Amazon, should get it next week, am so excited! Thanks for the information. Will look for the 2 for 1's and am glad they refresh the entertainment. I think Colombia looks like a for sure port to explore.

Does anyone have insight to a 13 or 14 day Cruise compared to a 7. We are booked for our first cruise over 7 days (13 on a P/C departing LA arriving in Miami) the clothes packing will not be an issue. Just wondering others opinion on the difference and pacing youself so to speak concerning eating especially and onboard activites, etc. So looking forward to this, any tips will be appreciated. If anyone has done a Panama Canal would like to hear about your highlights of the cruise, thanks.

Excellent cruise plus a great commentary going through the canal. We now only do ten day and upwards as a seven day cruise is too short. Eat what you like there is a good gym, swimming pool and the promenade deck to walk it off.

Archived