Le Havre - Normandy Beach DIY Excursions?

NAJNLA

We are in Le Havre on a Sunday, so rental cars aren't an option. I am joining a private tour to the D-Day beaches, so I'm all set. In Cherbourg we are renting a car from Hertz, and we did book an automatic, although it's a compact.

Nancy, are you on the Constellation TransAt Sept. 5? (Your "Sunday in Le Havre" then Cherbourg is the clue) My husband and I and our best friends have also booked a rental car from Hertz in Cherbourg. We've done extensive driving trips in France, including Normandy explorations, so are looking forward to even those few short hours (gotta drop off the car and walk back to the ship in time for that early sailing!) that the itinerary gives us in Cherbourg.

Nancy, are you on the Constellation TransAt Sept. 5? (Your "Sunday in Le Havre" then Cherbourg is the clue) My husband and I and our best friends have also booked a rental car from Hertz in Cherbourg. We've done extensive driving trips in France, including Normandy explorations, so are looking forward to even those few short hours (gotta drop off the car and walk back to the ship in time for that early sailing!) that the itinerary gives us in Cherbourg.

Yes, I'm on that cruise! I saw your post on the roll call the other day. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Mont St Michel alone isn't really feasable from Le Havre. Not to mention including Utah and Omaha.

From Le Havre, Point du Hoc and Omaha are a descent distance to do do comfortably. Ste Mère Eglise and Utah add 2.5 hours on and make the day a rush.

As someone said "rentacar" provide dockside vehicles. Rent in advance.

Yuo'll see most of the beaches with a guide or driver guide. For four people the cost of a driver guide is equivalent to 4 excusions and you'll see twice as much.

• 3 weeks later...

We rented from Rent-A-Car on May 8 and drove to the Normandy beaches. The car worked out very well, except here is something to consider.

When I reserved, I assumed from this companies' advertisement that the rental included collison liability. But on site I asked to find out that no, if the fault is yours that you are on the hook for most of the value of the car if it is totalled. I believe the attendant told me the insurance in the rental covered up to 1,000 Euros, about $3,000. He said there was no option to increase for total liability. I had checked my own insurance agent here in the states and that policy would not cover in France.

I think I would have looked harder for a car in advance in LaHavre if I had known this in advance.

We just returned from a cruise stop in Cherbourg and did an excellent private tour with Overlord Tours (Overlordtourdotcom). We too were suprised at how far apart the beaches were and how much driving was involved. They will pick you up at the ship and do the driving for you. Their vans fit 8 but that's with 3 in the front, middle and rear. We had 6 adult passengers which was comfortable. I'm pretty sure they work out of Le Harve too. The special thing about their tour is they give you access to private places because of their knowledge of the Normandy area and relationships with the local people. They have detailed, first hand stories and pictures from verterns as well as the ability to weave what we've all seen in the movies and dispell any inaccuracies we've accepted as fact. If you're a history buff this is the tour to show you the D-Day beaches! Our tour guide spoke excellent English and is a passionate historical military expert. He had a huge flip notebook with detailed pictures that really aided in visualizing what happened on D-Day. If you have a family member who was there, they welcome any information you can share and will help you understand what was happening to them in 1944. Our guide was Alain Chesnel and he was wonderful. His email is AChesnel@wanadoo.fr .

• 1 month later...

We are going to try to do the beaches from Cherbourg and read your post. We will be on the Jewel of the Seas, Sept sailing and I contacted Overland tours and they are all booked for that day. Did you hear of any others that we might use? Thanks

We are going to try to do the beaches from Cherbourg and read your post. We will be on the Jewel of the Seas, Sept sailing and I contacted Overland tours and they are all booked for that day. Did you hear of any others that we might use? Thanks

Sorry, didn't see your post earlier. Try using the search function on this site for D-Day or Normandy Tours. I personally don't know of other tours but I know I have read of others on the CC boards. Also try the Jewel Roll Call for your sailing and see if they have suggestions. I know ours did in May for the Eastbound TA. Good Luck! It's beautiful country!

We rented from Rent-A-Car on May 8 and drove to the Normandy beaches. The car worked out very well, except here is something to consider.

When I reserved, I assumed from this companies' advertisement that the rental included collison liability. But on site I asked to find out that no, if the fault is yours that you are on the hook for most of the value of the car if it is totalled. I believe the attendant told me the insurance in the rental covered up to 1,000 Euros, about $3,000. He said there was no option to increase for total liability. I had checked my own insurance agent here in the states and that policy would not cover in France.

I think I would have looked harder for a car in advance in LaHavre if I had known this in advance.

You can solve this problem by booking a seperate car hire excess insurance:

http://www.worldwideinsure.com/WWTswitcher.php?policy=ERI&partnerID=128&partner=null

The premium is around 2 USD per day.

It's available independent from residency but premium for rentals in residence country is slightly higher.

We did it now for our first rental in UK to save the money to the car rentals and limit it to the minimum premiums.

Regards,

HeinBloed

My husband and I from New Jersey/Florida will be on the British Isles Cruise,Crown Princess, leaving Aug.24th from England....Also looking to get to Normandy on Sept. 4th(hear it's quite impressive)...our daughter has been there and is going to tell us where to go....think renting a car is a good option...do you think you'd want to share....before you say yes....a priority or ours will be to stop at a nice restuarant for wine, cheese and bread, see the country side and do a tour of the American Cemetary....not too much else interests us.

We'd like to do something casual in Gurnsey as well....anyone interested??

Does anyone know about the quickest way to get to Killarney(Listowel, is where my family is from) and still get back to the ship. I really don't want a tour, will be investigating my roots.

We just returned from a 15 Eurpoean Explorer cruise on the Crown Princess. After much research, we opted to rent a car and explore Normandy on our own.

I had reserved a car from Rent-A-Car at the port. For the most part this turned out to be a good plan for us. However, I want to caution folks about a couple things. First, it took an hour from the time we walked up to the counter (which is very conveniently located right at the cruise terminal) until we were in our car. There was a long, slow moving line. Also, there were no cars available for people who didn't have reservations and even some people who did have reservations didn't end up with cars. So, if you are going to do this, make sure you re-confirm your reservation at least one time, and try to be one of the first ones off the ship.

Once we got the car, it was a great day. The GPS worked great for us. As an aside, I didn't know about the insurance issue, so I didn't know to be worried about that. I will take Heinbloed's advice and buy the special insurance when we do this again.

Kim

Cannot seem to get to the rentacar site to reserve a car. Can some one please re write the web address. Also- do they rent automatics or just manual trans?

Thanks for your help

Try this

http://www.rentacar.fr/index.asp?lang=uk&alea=

or email

Rent A Car Le Havre [le_havre@rentacar.fr]

And yes they rent automatics too. Hope that works for you to connect with them.....

We just returned from a cruise stop in Cherbourg and did an excellent private tour with Overlord Tours (Overlordtourdotcom). We too were suprised at how far apart the beaches were and how much driving was involved. They will pick you up at the ship and do the driving for you. Their vans fit 8 but that's with 3 in the front, middle and rear. We had 6 adult passengers which was comfortable. I'm pretty sure they work out of Le Harve too. The special thing about their tour is they give you access to private places because of their knowledge of the Normandy area and relationships with the local people. They have detailed, first hand stories and pictures from verterns as well as the ability to weave what we've all seen in the movies and dispell any inaccuracies we've accepted as fact. If you're a history buff this is the tour to show you the D-Day beaches! Our tour guide spoke excellent English and is a passionate historical military expert. He had a huge flip notebook with detailed pictures that really aided in visualizing what happened on D-Day. If you have a family member who was there, they welcome any information you can share and will help you understand what was happening to them in 1944. Our guide was Alain Chesnel and he was wonderful. His email is AChesnel@wanadoo.fr .

We just returned from Crown Princess and did a tour with Overlord Tours. It was the highlight of the cruise. We had 7 in the van and had room enough. The tour was an education and a very moving experience. I would highly recommend Overlord. We had Oliver as our guide and he was excellent.

If you are thinking of doing the D-Day Beaches and Mt St Michel. Get one of those gizmos that Capt. Kirk has, and beam yourself in. There is no other way.

You must remember that the D-Day Beaches are over 55 miles long and start over 50 miles from Le Havre. By going just as far as Pointe du Hoc you will still cover over 200 miles. And still have to stop and see things.

Try looking at Normady Safaris, Day Tours www.normandysafaris.co.uk They will pick-up and drop off at the ship, and supply a picnic lunch, at a cost of $170.00 per person for a group of 6 people.

We know the area well and would echo some of the other comments that you need to rent a cary to DIY to the beaches. Public transit is pretty much useless for getting to, and around, Normandy. Driving in France is quite easy and we second the suggestion of renting a GPS (we bought our own for Europe). You might want to make a stop at Honfleur for some morning coffee (or an afternoon drink) since the small harbor area (with its many cafes) is a true delight (they have the best mussels on earth). Keep in mind that most European rental cars have a manual transmission. If you want an automatic it will cost you a lot more money and many rental car dealers do not even have automatics.

Hank

Hi - we just returned from the RCL Radiance and Le Havre and Cherbourg were two of our ports. If you are wanting a WONDERFUL experience, then try and get Eddie Robinson as your guide. He's an Irishman, and a brilliant guide to all the D Day beaches and history of the area. Our day with him was The Highlight of our trip! His website is www.BattleofNormandyTours.com.

He'll pick you up at the port and be prepared to have a wonderful, and MOVING, visit where June 6, 1944, will simply come to life!

dean0527

Indianapolis, IN

Has anyone attempted to do a driving tour on their own from Rouen? That is where our ship will stop. Are there car rental facilities? Is the time allotment similar? Will we be able to stop in Honfleur?

I am wondering what ship you are on since we have never heard of a cruise ship going up the river to Rouen? The reason ships go to LeHavre is that it's a major port that has very easy access for large ships. But, there are plenty of rental car companies in Rouen so getting a car should not be a problem as long as you reserve in advance. Driving from Rouen to Normandy would be easy and pretty fast since you can take the A13 Autoroute (130 kmh speed limit) to Caen and than use the N13 and local roads to get to Normandy. From Rouen to Bayeux (the gateway city to the Normandy beaches) would take 1:45 to 2 hours each way. Honfleur would be out of your way if you wanted to go to Normandy from Rouen unless you took a longer (and slower) route.

Hank

I am wondering what ship you are on since we have never heard of a cruise ship going up the river to Rouen? The reason ships go to LeHavre is that it's a major port that has very easy access for large ships. But, there are plenty of rental car companies in Rouen so getting a car should not be a problem as long as you reserve in advance. Driving from Rouen to Normandy would be easy and pretty fast since you can take the A13 Autoroute (130 kmh speed limit) to Caen and than use the N13 and local roads to get to Normandy. From Rouen to Bayeux (the gateway city to the Normandy beaches) would take 1:45 to 2 hours each way. Honfleur would be out of your way if you wanted to go to Normandy from Rouen unless you took a longer (and slower) route.

Hank

Oceania just announced several itineraries going to Rouen.

Has anyone attempted to do a driving tour on their own from Rouen? That is where our ship will stop. Are there car rental facilities? Is the time allotment similar? Will we be able to stop in Honfleur?

Have a look here:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/05/le-havre-france-private-tour-car-rental.html

Regards,

HeinBloed

Oceania just announced several itineraries going to Rouen.

I tip my hat to Oceania for using some unusual interesting ports. This is why we like smaller ship cruising and the more adventuress lines such as Oceania and Azamara.

Hank

Dean - Thanks for the recommendation. Did you take the tour from Le Havre or Cherbourg? Any idea which would be a shorter drive?

Cherbourg would be slightly closer to the beaches of Normandy, but we are talking relatively small time difference (perhaps 1:20 vs 1:45) which could vary by traffic.

Hank

Thanks, Hank. On our forthcoming cruise we have the option of taking an 11-hour tour of the Normandy Beaches (including Bayeux) from La Havre or the 8-hour tour from Cherbourg (also including Bayeux). Since you say it is not that much difference in travel time, we'll probably go with the 11-hour as it should give us more time at various stops.

Unfortunately, the cruise line did not have any information regarding approximate travel time nor time spent at each point of interest.

Thanks again for your help.

Renee

Archived