• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Baltics

tingrin

Two things I would suggest right off the bat:

1) go to the Roll Call boards for your cruise and join in the discussion there.

2) go to the Ports of Call boards so you can learn all about your destinations.

We did the Baltics in July 2006 on Constellation. It was a great cruise.

We did a mixture of on our own, Celebrity Excursions and private excursions.

Please let me know if you have any specific questions about certain ports.

Have a great time.

Anne Maria

We did the Baltics cruise on Century.The Ports of Oslo,Stockhohlm,Coopenhagen and Helsinki we did the On Off Bus .We thought it was wonderful.Russia we did the 2 day tour through Celebrity,with the Ballet at night Fabulous.Tallin we did a Celebrity tour as well.The Best of Tallin with a medieval concert,very magical and memorable.

We converted our money on the ship and were able to exchange any bills that we had left over.Russia accepted the Dollar.

Do a private tour of St. Petersberg. We used Alla Tours and hooked up with 6 others on line through this web site. Our group of 8 saw much more than than the ship's tours. There are other private tours listed on the ports of call section. Alla was terrific.

It's not really possible to say whether the med is better than baltic or vice versa, it's like comparing Alaska with the Caribbean.

It is so different, culture-wise, weather-wise, food-wise, ...

But both are great.

Yes, do go to the Ports of Call boards, especially. There is where I found out about DenRus tours (and Alla, and Red October) which we used in St. Petersburg. We took the DenRus value excursion tour, and it was terrific; I would recommend it in a heartbeat. There were only ten of us all strangers and all, as it happens, from our ship, Constellation, in a van. It was like having a private tour. As do the other companies, DenRus takes care of the visa requirements for you. It is not advisable to do S. P. on your own, I would say. For the other cities, we used the ship's tours. You are going to have such a good time!

Do a private tour of St. Petersberg. We used Alla Tours and hooked up with 6 others on line through this web site. Our group of 8 saw much more than than the ship's tours. There are other private tours listed on the ports of call section. Alla was terrific.

Agreed. We worked with Alla as well and highly recommend her services. She was terrific and our St.P tour was the highlight of our cruise. There were 12 in our group (too many people, 6 or 8 would have been better). Between Alla and our roll call, we were able to fill our group and thereby lower the cost per person. If you can't afford a private tour, Alla and other companies offer a value tour which is still cheaper than using the shorex. As suggested, read more about it in the Northern Europe/ Baltics ports of call forum.

St.P is the high spot of the cruise and this is where you should focus your excursion budget. If you have to do every other port on your own and give up lattes and dinner out from now until you sail, your will not regret it. Of course, now that the Century calls in Warnemunde as a jump of for Berlin, you may have to split your excursion budget between the two.

We loved Amsterdam and suggest some extra time there if you are booking your own flights. You can do it much cheaper on your own than with a cruise ship package.

Hi.....we are also doing the Baltic cruise in June 2009. We are hoping to connect with other couples to do the Denrus tour in Russia. As for the other ports, I was wondering, which ports are within walking distance of the ship and which ports do we need to book tours? Here are our ports: Amsterdam, Keil Germany (we won't be going to Berlin), Stockholm, Estonia, Helsinki, and Copenhagen. Also, do we need each countries own currency or will Euros or US dollars work too? Any help/tips for these ports would be great. Thanks

Hi cruisinggalcanada, We were on the Century last June. The hop on hop off boat was right at the pier in Stockholm, and was an excellent way to get around. We walked into Tallin. We used the Helsinki public bus system ( the bus stop was a very short walk from the ship) to get into town and then the tram to get around Helsinki. It was pretty simple to do on our own. In Copenhagen, we took the hop on hop off bus which picked up at the pier.

Sweden's currency is the krona (SEK). Tallin uses the Kroon (EEK) and we could not buy a coffee at a fast food store without them ( no credit cards accepted there, altho they were in any retail store). Copenhagen 's currency is the krone ( DKK). Helsinki uses the Euro. Of course St Petersburg uses the ruble but we found that Euros were accepted as well.

Its an amazing itinerary- you'll really enjoy it.

Hi.....we are also doing the Baltic cruise in June 2009. We are hoping to connect with other couples to do the Denrus tour in Russia. As for the other ports, I was wondering, which ports are within walking distance of the ship and which ports do we need to book tours? Here are our ports: Amsterdam, Keil Germany (we won't be going to Berlin), Stockholm, Estonia, Helsinki, and Copenhagen. Also, do we need each countries own currency or will Euros or US dollars work too? Any help/tips for these ports would be great. Thanks

To find people to share a tour in StP or any other city, you should go to the roll call for your cruise. Here is the link for Celebrity roll calls: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=206. Find your ship and then look very carefully for your sail date. There is no standard way of naming roll calls and the threads are not listed in date order. More than likely, a thread has already been started with your sail date and there are already folks there looking to add more people to their van. This is the best place to find people to share with because this is where CC members go to look for 'tour shares'--(and because CC management says we can only post tour shares in the roll calls. ;))

As for the hop-on-hop-off buses and boats being right by the pier, please keep in mind that the cities big cities (Stockholm, Copenhagen, Helsinki) have multiple piers and that he same ship will not always dock at the same pier in a given city. Moreover, even if you are told in advance that you will be docking at a given pier, that can change at the last minute--it happened to us in Stockholm.

Hi Spooklady, It was generally cool most days with temps in the 50s/low 60s ( and high 40s some mornings). St Petersburg was the warmest with both days in the high 60's/low 70s. We had overcast/rain in Stockholm, Talinn and Helsinki, and on one sea day- the rest of the days were clear. Layers of clothing, with a poncho for rain, is the way to go.

Enjoy!

To find people to share a tour in StP or any other city, you should go to the roll call for your cruise. Here is the link for Celebrity roll calls: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=206. Find your ship and then look very carefully for your sail date. There is no standard way of naming roll calls and the threads are not listed in date order. More than likely, a thread has already been started with your sail date and there are already folks there looking to add more people to their van. This is the best place to find people to share with because this is where CC members go to look for 'tour shares'--(and because CC management says we can only post tour shares in the roll calls. ;))

As for the hop-on-hop-off buses and boats being right by the pier, please keep in mind that the cities big cities (Stockholm, Copenhagen, Helsinki) have multiple piers and that he same ship will not always dock at the same pier in a given city. Moreover, even if you are told in advance that you will be docking at a given pier, that can change at the last minute--it happened to us in Stockholm.

Thanks everyone for your help. There are some good tips here. I'm sure looking forward to this trip, as everybody says how great it is. thanks, again

Thanks Cruisinsusin. I had a feeling we would be experiencing cooler weather. Your right, layering is the way to go. I saw a poncho that folds up in a little zippered pouch. I think I will go back and get it. Thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...
Two things I would suggest right off the bat:

1) go to the Roll Call boards for your cruise and join in the discussion there.

2) go to the Ports of Call boards so you can learn all about your destinations.

We did the Baltics in July 2006 on Constellation. It was a great cruise.

We did a mixture of on our own, Celebrity Excursions and private excursions.

Please let me know if you have any specific questions about certain ports.

Have a great time.

Anne Maria

Hi , did you have to take different currency for each port?

Fellow cruisers -

Are any of you on the June 27th-Baltic cruise (Constellation).

Come and join our Roll Call if you are !We need 6 more people for the Cruise Critic party!

And I´d love to share transport on the way back from Harwich.

Kim

Be cautious of the possibility of walking off the ship in Stockholm. The year we took the Baltics cruise on celebrity the port was too windy to go into the inner harbor in Stockholm and those without excursions with the cruiseline were stuck onboard for the day.

Hi , did you have to take different currency for each port?

If we needed different currency we changed it when we got off the ship. In Russia the tour we took provided everything and we paid them in cash US $. If we bought souveniers we paid by credit card. We didn't do much exchanging of currency. In Germany we needed to pay our private tour in Euros. I think we did that on the ship (I can't remember). I'll have to look at my notes.

I can dig out my notes from the cruise (it was in 2006) if you want more detailed information.

Anne Maria

Hi everyone,

Is anyone doing the June 2nd cruise of the Baltic? My husband and I a looking to share a small tour group in St. Petersburg. If anyone is looking to add two more to your group I would love to hear from you.

Archived