Star Flyer Tahiti Excursions

lovethecaribbean31

We are going on the Star Flyer in Tahiti in May and are having a hard time deciding on excursions. Our favorite things are snorkeling, taking photographs, and exploring the islands to see the sites. I am guessing that some islands are better for snorkeling while others would be better for 4x4 tours and such. I typically like to book independent excursions when cruising, but I have heard that they sometimes change the schedules on this one, so I don't think I'd want to take that chance! Thanks so much for any advice you have!

Huahine- We are undecided between the snorkel safari and the 4 wheel safari expedition. Which would be better for this island?

Raiatea- Again, we are undecided on whether we should do the safari expedition, or find a snorkeling tour on our own. (Is it easy to find a snorkeling tour on our own once we are on the island? Even if it's not a snorkeling tour, maybe we could taxi to a beach for snorkeling?)

Tahaa- I understand that they have a free motu picnic on this day? Is there nice snorkeling from the motu? Or should we do the safari expedition? It looks like we only have a short time at this port so I don't think we could do both? I thought about the snorkeling safari here too, but it says for experienced snorkelers only, and I don't think my husband would be comfortable.

Bora Bora- Would we have time to do two excursions here? I orginally wanted to do the helicopter tour and something else, but I have read that the helicopter company is closing (boo!). So I was thinking about the Robinson Crusoe Tour and/or the 4 x 4 offroad adventure. I also want to shark feed, but we are also going to Moorea before the cruise and Tikehau and Manihi after the cruise, so I was thinking we could do that in one of those places (unless it's just better in Bora Bora)

Moorea- we have two days here on the cruise and are also staying here for 2 nights before the cruise (we'll have almost 3 full days). So we will have plenty of snorkeling opportunities.

Cooks Bay- Aito Offroad safari

Opunoho Bay- Dolphin Adventure With Dr Poole or sail aboard the Margouillat (is the sail boat trip worth it since we'll already be sailing on the Star Flyer?)

Tahiti-- After our cruise we fly to Tikehau at 2:30 pm. Do you think we would have enough time to do a half day tour of Tahiti that day after we get off the ship in the morning?

Thanks again for your help!

We were on the Flyer in February so I can help you with some of your questions. Please be aware that not only could the schedule change, but the excursion list can change. It is best not to make final decisions until you get onto the ship. Also, as far as snorkling, there are some ports where the sports team takes groups snorkling off of one of the tenders and, as far as I know, there is no way of finding out about these free excursions until you are on board the ship.

The snorkling excursion on Tahaa is definitely for experienced snorklers. It involves moving through a coral jungle, through narrow spaces with sharp turns, following a leader in single file, with no opportunity to put your feet down, regroup, or clear your mask. It is fabulous with wonderful fish and coral -- but you must be a very confident snorkler & swimmer.

The snorkling safari in Huahine is very nice. It is in about 4 to 8 ft of water around large clumps of coral with lots of sandy areas in between. Really nice for beginners and experienced snorklers alike.

Hope you have a great trip!

Thanks so much! That's great to know about the free snorkeling from the tenders, we will definitely take advantage of that. Also, I think we will do the snorkeling excursion in Huahine instead of exploring the island. I knew that we couldn't book the excursions until we were on the cruise. I went on the Star Clipper in the Caribbean a few years ago-- but we took too much time to decide on the excursions and one of the ones we wanted to do was full by the time we decided. So this time I want to be as prepared as possible. Thanks again!

Archived