• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Bears and hibernation........when do they wake up?

tjcletsgo

depends upon the year, how's that? it's weather dependent.

bears don't really hibernate, they go into a state of lower metabolism but that's a story for another day.

bear dens are 'typically' on the north face where it stays colder longer. this allows the areas in the sun to be more advanced into spring when the bears emerge. the first available food is going to be grazing on green beach grasses and sedges, and wouldn't you like some greens after you haven't "hit the head" for six months.

lots of miles of narrow beach fringe so the bears will be spread out. though, there are a couple of estuaries i've flown over that were a couple of acres of green and saw multiple bears. but not near each other.

bear concentration doesn't occur until the food becomes concentrated.

during a recent warm spell (relatively) i did see a bear but i think he was just out to see if he could see his shadow.

My understanding of why June is early for bears is that June is early for salmon - they don't start running until later in the summer. And, when they do, that brings out the bears. At least, that's what I have gleaned from reading these boards. We will be on our Inside Passage cruise on the Silver Shadow the middle of June, and one of our stops is Wrangell for the afternoon. I had heard there is a wonderful bear observatory there, but someone on these boards said that we would probably NOT see any bears there, as the time of year was too early.......As there is not much in Wrangell, I guess this will be a good lazy day on the ship.......

Glenda

Archived